MARTIN LOGAN CLS-IIz - FOUND THEM BUT NEED ADVICE!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashua

Reaction score
I finally found a pair of these speakers. They are in MINT condition and are cherry wood.

I was so excited to finally locate a pair but the price seems very high so I need advice.

The guy wants $3600 for the pair. Lotta money for a pair of speakers with that many years on it. I've seen the CLS 2's sell in the $2000 price range but haven't seen 2Z's sell since I can remember.

Still, the new CLX's will sell for more than 10 Grand for sure so these are a relative bargain by comparison.

Can I get some advice here please?

Thanks,
Russ

If thats what ya had your heart set on, and you can get it for a price you are comfortable with, then by all means do it. Surely the price is flexible though. Do some research on the Agon Blue Book and find what's average for a mint set and present the seller with the results. Make the offer, all he can say is no!

that's a tough call. I personally am waiting for the CLX to come out, but that's me.

Also, for you other CLX jonesers.... When it's time to buy some, maybe we can pursuade an ML dealer to give us a group discount. I've heard from someone that dealers will sometimes do that.

Last edited:
I finally found a pair of these speakers. They are in MINT condition and are cherry wood.

I was so excited to finally locate a pair but the price seems very high so I need advice.

The guy wants $3600 for the pair. Lotta money for a pair of speakers with that many years on it. I've seen the CLS 2's sell in the $2000 price range.

Still, the new CLX's will sell for more than 10 Grand for sure so these are a relative bargain by comparison.

Thanks,
Russ
Hola Russ...yes they are expensive...but if you are a truly auiophile, you won't regret it. These babies do sing, but are not easy to set them up. They will reveal your electronics or even a connector...truly high end sound. If you like bass energy, they are not too good at it, but with the aid of a sub can provide tons of enjoyment. The size of the instruments, the way that the musician(s)plays is incredible. They give a truly 3D sound. Sometimes with mines, I don't use the center channel...you don't need to. The image and the stage is super!!! Yes, I do love this babies a lot!...I wish a very happy listening,
Roberto.:musicnote:

The guy wants $3600 for the pair. Lotta money for a pair of speakers with that many years on it. I've seen the CLS 2's sell in the $2000 price range.

Thanks,
Russ

1) These speakers aren't easy to find

2) Even if you did find them, they'd probably cost a small fortune to ship

With that said, I heard the CLSs over at Dan's house some months ago and let me tell you, they are really something else. Like all things they need solid amplification, good cables, and probably a nice sub as well. But once you get everything dialed in, the CLS is really tough to beat. Yeah, $3600 might be a little steep, but as you said, compared to the 10+k CLX, that's a pretty good deal.

We have a few people on the forum that own the CLS, and I doubt many of them would relinquish those speakers on a whim.

NOTE: One thing to consider (since those speakers are around 10 years old) is that you might need new panels. So, the total 'cost' to you might be more than $3600. I'd call ML support and see how much new panels for the CLSs go for.

Erik

negotiate --

Ask if the panels themselves are the original panels. If the answer is yes (as it probably will be) then explain that because of their age, you will need to purchase new panels which are still available, and while not expensive ($989 a pair I think + $30 shipping) will add to the already high-ish price. Suggest you split the cost of new panels/shipping and offer him $3000. The panels might be fine, it depends. Mine are fourteen years old minus five years in storage and are excellent --- but it's a perfectly reasonable negotiating point.

As for the speakers themselves, if they're in physically good shape (cherry wood is very hot right now ;-) I wouldn't hesitate. All you need is a single ML Depth sub right in the middle (get a great discount on the previous (non-i) model) a decent tube amp and you'll be very near the top of the sonic heap (see my system).

I think it is a bit high. Does it have new panels and are they really iiZ's and not iiA's? Check the serial number of the electronics box and the panels with ML or post them here and we can tell you.

New panels for the CLS's run about $890.00 USD.

Let usknow

Jeff:cool:

AND - if you end up not buying them, please steer the seller back to this group so that one of us has a chance to deal on them. Would love to keep these classic speakers within the family as it were! :D

Thanks for all the advice guys. The owner is within driving distance so shipping can be avoided. He says he bought them during one of the very last few shipments that ML made on these because when he heard they were being discontinued he decided to make a quick commitment. He has several pairs of high end speakers and these have (apparently) been storeed most of the years since their purchase. He claims that there are maybe 50-75 hours of use on the panels.

Seems a little hinky but he says I can come and listen to my heart's content.
I may offer him $3,000 to test the waters but he seems very firm on his asking price.

When I look at $3,600 plus (maybe) new panels...well, now I am knocking on the door of some serious Soundlabs. I have very high end subwoofers and a dedicated electronic tube X-Over so I am only really looking for a great full range panel to mate them with. I called ML today and was told that the CLX is at LEAST one year off and probably more. Life is too short to wait on those kind of promises.

Russ

I'd reconsider . . . .

When I look at $3,600 plus (maybe) new panels...well, now I am knocking on the door of some serious Soundlabs. I have very high end subwoofers and a dedicated electronic tube X-Over so I am only really looking for a great full range panel to mate them with. I called ML today and was told that the CLX is at LEAST one year off and probably more. Life is too short to wait on those kind of promises.Russ
to be realistic, you're not going to get used Soundlab A-1's (the only Soundlabs worth owning IMO) for $3600, more like $7500 if you're lucky. 'Course you won't need the sub :rolleyes: w/ the SL's. And speaking of a sub w/ the CLS; with all due respect for your "very high end subwoofers and a dedicated electronic tube X-Over" a single Depth (or two, if you live in a cathedral!) is more than adequate supplementation for a CLS. If you run the CLS full-range (which you should) you only need bass support below 35 - 45 Hz (at most) to get a stunningly full range frequency response for any kind of program material.

Sounds like they've received minimal use and if they've been stored out of heat and humidity, should be in great shape. And if I remember correctly, cherrywood was an additional cost, though I can't tell you anymore how much. You could call ML if you're curious.

I have this model and the price seems a bit steep..I can tell you this though ...you will will fall in love with what these speaker can do but only if you have the right room around them ie:avoid putting anything within 3 feet of them, otherwise it will change their sound....run them full range with a subwoofer set back and between them ( I use an ACI Saturn with an SV-12 woofer/marchand crossover ):music:

OK. I'll Bite. Things to consider when buying CLS's.. (yes, Ray de-cloaks) :p

....The guy wants $3600 for the pair. Lotta money for a pair of speakers with that many years on it. I've seen the CLS 2's sell in the $2000 price range but haven't seen 2Z's sell since I can remember.

First of all, are they 2's or 2z's?

Exactly how old are they?

Are they visually "mint" or have you heard them and can substantiate that claim?

The CLS's are a different animal than the other ML's. They have bass panels. These panels tend to lose tension over time and they start to "Kazoo" or "PHART". Regardless of the stated condition, be prepared to more than likely need new panels, $600/pr.

Other things to consider:
  1. Unlike the rest of the ML lineup, the CLS doesn't have that nice rigid and heavy woofer box holding the panel. The CLS's sway and the image gets a bit blurred. IMHO, if you are listening to CLS's (any vintage) you are not hearing them anywhere near their full potential without an investment in Sound Anchor Stands. They are still in production.
  2. The CLS's have large panel areas for the bass and these loosen up over time and start to Kazoo. There is a fix for this, but it is not a miracle fix. If they have been played loudly with lots of bass or have been exposed to direct sunlight, high humidity, or all of the above, you are looking at needing new panels even if they do appear to be "mint".
  3. even with the "2z's", the impedance curve in the high frequencies is a challenge to most any high-end amplifier. They come close to a dead short. Your amp(s) need to be stable to 1 ohm AND still sound good with that kind of a load. Trust me. Not many do.
  4. As far as the price you are getting, I have seen CLS's on various sites go for as low as $900(original CLS) and as high as $4,500 (2z's final 20th anniversary run). In my opinion, since you have to buy used regardless, forget about the stated condition of the driver. $600/pr. gets you new panels and a warranty. Buy them based upon the finish and condition of the frame and save some money.
  5. The CLX's are still vaporware. Are you willing to wait until they are "ready"?
Let us know what you decided to do!

Cheers,
Ray
System #189
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=4145

What are "Serious Soundlabs"? Have you missed the point of the ML magic?

....When I look at $3,600 plus (maybe) new panels...well, now I am knocking on the door of some serious Soundlabs. I have very high end subwoofers and a dedicated electronic tube X-Over so I am only really looking for a great full range panel to mate them with...
Russ

I have heard Soundlabs on various occasions and yes, the A1 is a very large and sustantial speaker. However, not all electrostatic drivers are created equal. IMHO, the Martin Logan CLS driver is a superior implementation of electrostatics. To my ears, there are no other panels that have the midrange and neutrality of the CLS panel. To be clear, I am speaking to the panel and not the speaker model. So this would include all other ML's that use the CLS panel ie. Sequels(all iterations), Quests(all iterations), Monoliths, etc...

IMHO, once you live with an ML, you can't live without them.

Cheers,
Ray

Back