Magnepan owner auditioned Montis today-WOW!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z06_Pilot

Reaction score
Hi folks,

My Maggie 3.5r's really need upgrading, and my thought was going to be straight to the 3.7's-no question.

BUT, I started thinking about my one gripe about my Maggie's(and I have had 3 different sets over the years). With some music types I like to feel the bass, I mean, I really want it to hit me hard, like a jazz recording that has a really good stand up bass section(i.e., Patricia Barber). Although the Maggie low end is certainly engaging, it does not have that "hit" sensation that I really want with some music types.

I have tried room positioning of my sub(an SVS cylinder), and working with crossover settings and trims on my processor to try to get a seamless transition between the panel and the low end with an off-board sub, and I have never achieved it, so I gave up. I really didn't want to invest in stereo imaged subs as some folks do to help with this.

so, I started thinking about ML's. The more I read about the Montis the more I knew I had to hear them. I got my chance today. I was truly blown away. The imaging and soundstage is just as large and present as my Maggie's at about 1/3 the size, and the low end...that 10" bass driver really does the job, and I honestly could not detect a transition from the panel to the driver and I was listening hard for that...and very importantly, they completely removed the speakers from the music as only good panels can do, and the pirmary reason I have always used Magnepans. I was hearing the performers, not the speaker system.

A very, very fast speaker system indeed, this Montis. The dealer that I will be working with sells both Maggie's and ML, and I am going to listen to both of them back to back and compare(I have listened to both on separate occassions). I'm looking at a $3500 delta for the Montis, but the price differential is of no consequence since I expect to be living with my next speakers for 10-15 years which is my usual practice. This is an incredible speaker system. The fact that it looks super sexy is just a bonus.....:p

I'm just wondering if any of you ML veterans out there know of anything that should give me pause regarding the Montis from a quality, build, or other point of view?

thanks!

Jeff

I haven't heard Maggies for a while, but I liked them. But when you want some bottom end, the MLs are king. I agree with your comments about the Montis. I'm going to listen to a pair today...

I think you should convince your dealer to sell you a nice pair of demo Summits for Montis pricing since you like bass slam.

I think you should convince your dealer to sell you a nice pair of demo Summits for Montis pricing since you like bass slam.

Actually, I find the Montis mid-bass to be better than the Summit. Since the OP already has a sub, low-end is already well covered. The 10" bass driver in the Montis, couple with the DSP -corrected EQ to make the match to the panel really transparent, plus the higher crossover point (340hz IIRC) delivers strong and clean mid-bass.
Put a MiniTrap HF bass trap on the wall behind each speaker and you'll truly hear mid-bass that is fantastic for a panel speaker.

So I'd give my unreserved thumbs up on the Montis for Z06_Pilot's application and needs.

Last edited:
Z06_Pilot - I sure hope you post back on your thoughts of the comparison. This would be truly interesting as I am considering the same but don't have the ability to hear them locally.

Z06_Pilot - I sure hope you post back on your thoughts of the comparison. This would be truly interesting as I am considering the same but don't have the ability to hear them locally.

will do for sure. I will be doing this thu or fri of this week.

bummer. Just called the dealer to set up an appointment and they DON't have Montis demos. They do have the 3.7's though. I don't mind driving, even for a few hours to be able to hear both of these back to back. The problem is there just are a lot of Maggie dealers nowadays.....

Perhaps you could find a local Montis owner to show of her/ his system. Where are you located?

J

Oh, I have already auditioned the Montis. I was hoping to compare them to the Maggie 3.7's at the same time at a dealer. Much easier to switch between speaker systems in the same setting at the same time, at least for me anyway...

Back