M/L Source speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rbernst929

Reaction score
Hi. Id like to replace my older Aerius i's with the new Source. Can anyone give me first hand experience with them? Thanks. -Bob.

Bob, I too was looking for some info on the Source but didn't find much here. I just bought a used pair and am very happy with them so far. There was some shipping damage but it was limited to some of the mounting hardware that holds the panel to the cabinet. ML was excellent to work with on this problem I might add. I was able to spend a few hours with them before dissasembly to figure out what needed to be replaced. I had a pair of Quest's about a year ago but they just didn't work very well in my room. These being quite a bit smaller seem to image much better and sound more open and transparent which were some of the main characteristics ML is known for. I think the 8" woofer also blends better with the panel. I just received the parts from ML I need to fix the damage so I'll be putting them back together tonight. I'll have a more complete opinion after spending some more time with them but so far I am very pleased with the purchase.

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info. I would appreciate any other comments about using them in a small square room. BTW, my wife is from Toledo, Ohio and I'm from Miami, Fl. -Bob.

Thanks for the info. I would appreciate any other comments about using them in a small square room. BTW, my wife is from Toledo, Ohio and I'm from Miami, Fl. -Bob.

Hola Bob. Also the Source has the micro perf stat panel and offers better dispersion to my ears than the Aerius. Do not get wrong here, the Aerius is a very nice speaker too. But I think that they are more open and forward. Both uses 8" woofer, and I have to add that the the cabinet of the Source is somewhat less bass resonance. It is more balanced and the blend with the stat panels are to my ears more musical. The image of the stage is great, very 3 Dimentional and also the timbre of the instrument(s). The new panel has less strain in the upper highs and also the dispersion gives you a bit of more sweet spot that you can share with your friend(s). Go for them, you will like them, I am sure!...happy listening,
Roberto.

Thanks!

Thanks Roberto. That is the information I need. I think I will go for a set this X-mas to replace the aerius'. -Bob.

Bob...

My setup is similar to tsmooth's... My sources sound outstanding.

One thing I noticed about the sources versus the purities and I don't know if this makes a difference in sound quality or not but... The Sources do not have the clear spars in the ELS panels that other ML's speakers have. Rather there are thinner opaque black spars. There isn't any data on ML's site regarding this feature so I would assume it helps them keep their manufacturing costs down.

Bottom line is... They sound awesome. :rocker:

Thanks

THANKS everyone! I will be a happy listener this X-mas Im sure. Have been very happy with the Aerius'.. but time to update. -Bob.

Back