Looking for that new Processor....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you have reservations about the D2. Care to share (price-wise aside)? Thanks.

I have auditioned the D1, which is basically the D2 without the video processing. I felt that it did an overall good job, but it wasn't great. It didn't light my fire and make me say "wow, that is awesome." My personal feeling is that the Anthem statement gear is on the same level as the Sunfire Cinema Grand. It is a very nice home theater processor, more than good enough for most peoples' needs, but it is not quite at the level that I am looking for. I don't think it approaches the quality level of the Meridian, Theta, Lexicon, etc. (and is obviously priced accordingly). Personally I am leaning toward the Meridian G-68 (although I would love the 861, I am just not willing to spend that much for a home theater processor).

I felt that it did an overall good job, but it wasn't great. It didn't light my fire and make me say "wow, that is awesome."
It was the same way for me, especially for music. While it was good and offered a ton of features, it was not "Holy Processor Batman"!! And I really need to consider price at this time. Even used, D1's are usually around the $3k price - which I could purchase a used Theta for.

Again, each one of these processors has its own plus and minus, and their own sonic signatures. I do not think one is that much better than the other, just have to look at features, sonics, and video (not a biggie with me) processing, and make a choice.

Lastly I could always wait and get something else in a few years, but for the price of the Arcam, I can get better music sound now, and better movie processing (again not high on my list but a bonus) which would hold me over for the next few years.

Dan

One Statement D2 for sale ...... :mad:
Don't base what you like on what we say...it is just our opinion for our tastes. If you really like your D2, then it is a great component. But to find out if it really is the best for you, then you need to audition some other equipment. You may find that the D2 is "the thang" for you and your setup.

What does the D2 go for now? $5k?? For that price range I would seriously look at the Theta (Casablanca) or Meridian (G61 or G68), and possibly Arcam (AV9) and Krell (HTS 7.1) and see what they are like. Remember to look at features, connections, and finally the sound to make sure it all fits into your needs and likes.

Remember all the posts here are just opinions based on our likes and dislikes and not the absolute truth. Everyone needs to make their own determination on what they purchase and use. You never know what is out there until you get out and listen and bring some stuff home for audition.

Dan

Last edited:
Don't base what you like on what we say...it is just our opinion for our tastes. ...... Dan

Just joking, Dan. Actually am having fun with the unit which just arrived last night. I bought it basically for its great scaler features, but to me, it sounds fine enough for 2ch audio (for the time being) and better than my Rotel 1068 for A/V.

Just joking, Dan. Actually am having fun with the unit which just arrived last night. I bought it basically for its great scaler features, but to me, it sounds fine enough for 2ch audio (for the time being) and better than my Rotel 1068 for A/V.
Video was very good from it and always talked about as its strong point. And the sound improvement over the Rotel makes it a great addition for you!!!

Dan

Houston, we have a problem:
Went out to my local Stereo Store to see about a home audition so I can compare with my equipment in my room to see what differences there might be between my current and new component. It was Saturday, and I know the store is closed on Sunday, so I figured I could pick up the unit, audition it Saturday night, Sunday, and bring it back Monday AM so there would be no inconviences to future customers. I arrived at the store and told the sales person about the desire to try out a new processor and was met with a reply:

"We do not allow home auditions of equipment" My immediate though was: **&@#%$!@# I was about to ask about this so-called policy, but the phone rang, he answered it, and I walked out the door. BTW, I have dealt with this store for YEARS now, not breaking the bank with purchases, but I have spent quite a few thousand $$$$ there.

Above is an experience I had with trying to Demo some equipment from a local dealer and getting "snubbed".

Recently there has been some of this discussion where a manufacturer has been getting involved stating their opinion on this audition process.

Their response below goes to show what some of us here have been preaching for ever and ever about listening at home to determine what is best, not what someone else thinks is best for you.

Here is a couple of quotes:

"The only way to know the answer with *any* component is to listen to that component in your own system with your own music. Any good dealer worth his salt should be willing to provide a short term loan so that you can determine the answer to your question yourself.

If your dealer is unwilling to do that for you, you should probably find a different dealer to work with."

And yet there is more from the same manufacturer.....

"If you purchase a unit without *knowing* it is right for you, nobody wins. I don't care how many good reviews the unit has received, or how many recommendations you get on an internet forum. Only you can decide if you like the way it sounds in *your* system, with the music *you* like to listen to.

If you purchase a unit without knowing how it sounds, it is a "pig in a poke". If it turns out that you don't like the way it sounds, what are your options? To sell it on Audiogon at a loss? In that case, I'm sure you would be unhappy. The dealer would be unhappy too, as now he has lost a customer (plus he and other dealers have extra "competition" from the used market). So nobody wins. On the other hand if you are given the opportunity to know what the unit sounds like prior to purchasing, then you can make that purchase with confidence.

In the ideal situation, you will be thrilled with your purchase and keep it for years to come. Then everybody wins. You are happy -- every night you get to come home and listen to music that sounds great. The dealer is happy because he has earned a loyal customer that will recommend that store to his friends.

Sometimes a dealer can put together a system in his showroom that is very similar to your system. In that case you might feel comfortable making a purchasing decision based on an in-store audition. But the safest way is always an in-home audition.

Except under unusual circumstances, any good dealer should be willing to make a short-term loan to a serious customer."

BTW - this was not a reply from Arcam, but from another manufacturer

Last edited:
Except under unusual circumstances, any good dealer should be willing to make a short-term loan to a serious customer."

Amen, I agree Dan. It's also important to note that this applies to those of us who live within 'reasonable' distances of our favorite Audio Salons. Then again many of the decent Mail Order places like Acoustic Sounds, Music Direct, do have flexible auditioning/return policies I believe.

So Dan, is there an Arcam Processor on its way yet ???

Back