Logos vs Cinema need help!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F Canada

Reaction score
New member and very first post. To complete my ML HT set up I am looking at either the logos or Cinema. Both are used and for $750 Canadian ( which is about $8.00 us, jokking). Anyway which way should I go, does age matter, the Cinema is 7 years old and I think the logos is fairly old, 8 to 10 years I am guessing as he has to get back to me. Said the Logos was only used in HT setting and panel is clear and in perfect condition. Do not want to have to replace panel anytime soon. Everything else I have is brand new, but this would fit in my budget for now and have read good things about the Logos. I call on the Martin Logan Club Gods to guide me threw this troublesome decision. :bowdown: Thanks in Advance.
By the way:
ML Source Fronts
ML Abyss Sub
Monitor Audio Rears
Cambridge 640r
Cambridge DAC
Samsung Blue Ray
Panasonic AE2000U
120" high contrast gray motorized screen
Harmony 890 Remote

New member and very first post. To complete my ML HT set up I am looking at either the logos or Cinema. Both are used and for $750 Canadian ( which is about $8.00 us, jokking). Anyway which way should I go, does age matter, the Cinema is 7 years old and I think the logos is fairly old, 8 to 10 years I am guessing as he has to get back to me. Said the Logos was only used in HT setting and panel is clear and in perfect condition. Do not want to have to replace panel anytime soon. Everything else I have is brand new, but this would fit in my budget for now and have read good things about the Logos. I call on the Martin Logan Club Gods to guide me threw this troublesome decision. :bowdown: Thanks in Advance.
By the way:
ML Source Fronts
ML Abyss Sub
Monitor Audio Rears
Cambridge 640r
Cambridge DAC
Samsung Blue Ray
Panasonic AE2000U
120" high contrast gray motorized screen
Harmony 890 Remote

Hola F Canada. Both speakers are very good, but Logos model is a classic. The size of the electrostatic panel is bigger and also it has a kind of a warmer sound than the Cinema. Listen both, the Logos has a little better specs than the Cinema. If you could get the Cinema i, it is an improved version with micro-perf generation 2 stat panel. I do like this particular model and did sound very good with my system. Now I am using the Motif, which I do like it better over the Cinema i. Trust your ears and choose the one that you liked most. Sound and music is a matter of liking. My liking could not be yours...your ears will tell, trust in them no matter specs. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Hola F Canada. Both speakers are very good, but Logos model is a classic. The size of the electrostatic panel is bigger and also it has a kind of a warmer sound than the Cinema. Listen both, the Logos has a little better specs than the Cinema. If you could get the Cinema i, it is an improved version with micro-perf generation 2 stat panel. I do like this particular model and did sound very good with my system. Now I am using the Motif, which I do like it better over the Cinema i. Trust your ears and choose the one that you liked most. Sound and music is a matter of liking. My liking could not be yours...your ears will tell, trust in them no matter specs. Happy listening,
Roberto.
Thank you for your input, very helpfull. I believe I will go with the Logos. I have one consern though, I looked up the age with the serial number decoder found on another post and the speaker is 14 years old, Should I be worried, and will I have to replace the panel? This is the only thing holding me back. The price wanted is about $600us. is this a good deal and worth the price or should I consider a newer option. The seller claims it is in near perfect condition.

The logos is indeed huge. 41" wide by 11.8" high and 9" deep. If I recall the logos does have a 6.5" woofer and a 1/2" dome tweeter. The logos is a imposing speaker and if I had the space the one I would get.

The Logos reminds me of a Cadilac Escalade grill. 600 bucks is a fair price. Gayle Sanders uses one in his 'home theater'. I'd like to mount mine in my truck grill...it would come in handy pulling up behind the yahoos who have converted there cars into annoying boom boxes.

I've got a Logos, and use it as the Center in my 5.1 setup. It was originally mated with a pair of original Sequels, and the voicing was pretty much seamless between the three. I am now using my Sequels in a dedicated 2-ch setup, and the Logos is mated with a pair of Scenarios in my 5.1 rig. It matches them very well too.

The Logos does have a small woofer, and a dome tweeter mounted in the center of the panel, so the "sweet spot" can be a little tight when it comes to high-frequency sounds, but it has VERY wide dispersion for most movie dialog and multi-channel music.

And it's not just big, it's HEAVY. Like all the older ML speakers, the logos is about twice the weight of the newer models. The Logos weighs in at about 65 lbs, so if you're going to set it on a shelf, it needs to be a stiff, strong, and well-constructed shelf. If you're going to mount it on the wall or ceiling, be sure to use anchors that can support that kind of weight. This is a HEAVY center channel, and not to be trifled with.

But all that bulk gives you a VERY sweet sound. I have heard most of the newer ML centers, and I still like my Logos the best--widest "sweet spot", warmer sound, and VERY authoritative in the bass range. If you go with the Logos, you should be VERY happy, but you might want to have a few friends around when you decide to move it around. It is a REAL bear to heavy up onto a high shelf if you're lifting it solo...

--Richard

I will be placing it below a 120" screen so I like to think it will fit right in size wise. Any thoughts on the fact that it is 14 years old, the seller claims it is in near perfect condition and was only used for home theater use? How long do these speakers last and still sound good?

Depends on howmuch it was used and how well it was cared for. In a few years you may need to change the ESL panel. My Monoliths are going on 13 years and still sound great.

my logos blends in so well with the CLS that sometimes i have to check to see if it's on. just a seamless soundstage from left to right. or tight to left if thta way inclined :)

i have mine on the floor, but raised up 3 inches from the floor with some spikeless stands i made for it. that really improved the sound.

Looking forward to picking it up tomorrow. I will play around with hieght as well to find the perfect spot. Have any of you found any change in sound quality over the years with the panel, and if so do you just order a new one from Martin Logan? Does anyone know the cost to replace a panel on the Logos?

Hello

Excuse me as Im new new to the Martin Logan forum although have been a ML owner for 10 years starting with Sequel 2's . Happened to see this thread. I loved my Logos although its just about to be replaced for Centre Channel duty by the Stage which is a closer match to my Vantage.

I had the Logos repanelled aboiut 2 years by the local ML dealer in Singapore, It cost about US$350 then,,,which I thought i was pretty good,

Im still love & probably keep my Logos which I may use for rear surround duty. Sorry if this newbies comment is not relevant to this thread

Cheers
Din

Hello

Excuse me as Im new new to the Martin Logan forum although have been a ML owner for 10 years starting with Sequel 2's . Happened to see this thread. I loved my Logos although its just about to be replaced for Centre Channel duty by the Stage which is a closer match to my Vantage.

I had the Logos repanelled aboiut 2 years by the local ML dealer in Singapore, It cost about US$350 then,,,which I thought i was pretty good,

Im still love & probably keep my Logos which I may use for rear surround duty. Sorry if this newbies comment is not relevant to this thread

Cheers
Din

Your information is helpfull, and relevant. I was wondering how much it was to repanel. Picked up the speaker on Sunday, man is it big, sounds good to but will have to configure it to my system. Seems kind of mellow compared to my ML source. I have been using them as a phantom center, guess I will have to get use to having a center.

get yourself a sound level meter from "The Source" and set your levels. the Logos should just disappear.

I got a Logos in 1996, I still have it. It started in my Home Theater in 96 and then I went through a severe case of 'Joeyitis'. I bought a new panel and woofer/tweeter for the Logos, because it was 12 years old in 2008 and I used my HT a lot. ML says that panels and woofers can age in 10 to 15 year time frame and they lose a bit of their electrostatic charm. Jim Power set me up with a new Logos panel, woofer/tweeter and instructions for installation. It takes two people and about 30 to 40 minutes. It is a little tricky, but if you take your time and have an extra set of hands it is not bad. Just a little tight in tolerance as you take it apart and put it back together. Ah, but once it is back together and broke in for a 100 hours, it is as good as any ML center channel. In fact many have expressed the opinion that the Logos is the most 'musical' of the ML center channels. I guess I agree, since I put a Stage in to my Home Theater and moved the Logos down to the 5.1 music only surround system. The Logos is the center channel now with CLXs in the front and Sources in rear. The instruments just float in the sound stage. The CLXs and Logos blend perfectly, I sometimes find myself going up to the Logos to see if it is 'on', it just disappears. The effect is like a wall of sound in front with no discernable direction from any of the speakers. And by the way, the reason you need two people to replace the panel and woofer/tweeter, is that 1) as already noted it is heavy and large and 2) at the same time as you take it apart the panel and woofer stay connected and it helps to have an extra set of hands to hold the panel and woofer so that there is no real stress on the wires, which could cause a problem is they break inside the cabinet. Anyway, congrats on the Logos, and when the time comes to get new panel and woofer/tweeter don't hesitate to get a hold of Jim Power at ML and order up a new panel and woofer/tweeter, you Logos will serve you well for many years to come. Oh and the cost was about 350 bucks if my memory serves me correctly, which by the way is well worth it.

Back