Used vs New - First time ML owner need help deciding

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, yes the consensus is obvious and I have already begun my search. Although I have auditioned the Summits at a dealer in KC, and was very impressed, I am more familiar with the sound of the Spires as I have a friend who owns a pair. I certainly would not describe myself as an experienced audiophile with trained ears, but I know what I like and the Spires did sound better; wider soundstage, more open and tighter bass response. In addition, my friend does not employ a sub in his system and I was still blown away. I can't even imagine what it would sound like with a sub.
As I am forced, budget wise, to look for a used pair of ML speakers, regional availability/selection will have an influence in my decision, Summits or Spires.
I really want to be able to audition, inspect and pick up these speakers personally rather than purchase them from afar. I also plan on purchasing a ML Cinema center speaker based on the recommendations in this forum. I will have to wait on the addition of a sub, but I would like to audition a ML system which incorporates a sub just to hear the difference. I certainly can't afford to invest in the quality of components in your system, which looks absolutely incredible; could you recommend a sub under $1K? How about the ML Abyss, Depth or Dynamo line?
BTW, I noticed you hail from the SE PA area. I was born and raised around the Media / Timberwick area, was a great place to grow up as a kid, have very fond memories. :cheers:

could you recommend a sub under $1K? How about the ML Abyss, Depth or Dynamo line?

IMO, you are best served by saving your $$ till you can afford a servo based sub with EQ. For the money I am very happy with my Velo DD-15 since it incorporates the built in EQ and makes room set-up a breeze, are their better subs......you bet, but I still think the dollar / performance ratio of Velodyne's 'DD' series is superb.

BTW, I noticed you hail from the SE PA area. I was born and raised around the Media / Timberwick area, was a great place to grow up as a kid, have very fond memories. :cheers:

I know the area pretty well, got a good friend that lives in Wallingford......

GO PHILLIES !

Dave, yes the consensus is obvious and I have already begun my search. Although I have auditioned the Summits at a dealer in KC, and was very impressed, I am more familiar with the sound of the Spires as I have a friend who owns a pair. I certainly would not describe myself as an experienced audiophile with trained ears, but I know what I like and the Spires did sound better; wider soundstage, more open and tighter bass response. In addition, my friend does not employ a sub in his system and I was still blown away. I can't even imagine what it would sound like with a sub.

I think it is now fairly well recognized it is quite difficult to accurately compare speakers unless the listening experience happens consecutively and in the same room with the same electronics. "Psycho-Acoustics" comes into play especially when attempting comparisons, especially when the differences between speakers are not dramatic.

There are a number of threads with folks comparing the Spires with the Summits. The differences to most are more nuanced than significant, with some preferring one slightly over the other. While I personally prefer the Summits, I recognize that YMMV. Great to have options regarding such superb speakers.

Again, good luck with your adventure!

Hello,
With the screaming deals on Vantages on Audiogon, you might also want to consider them. Especially as you are planning on a 5.1 HT.

I am using Vantages, Stage (Center Channel), Vista (Surrounds) and Depth Subwoofer and could not be more pleased.

While the Vantages are not as good as the Summits for 2 Channel, they are still excellent and when used in an HT, work wonderfully.
Cheers,
JJ

Last edited:
Indeed. Somehow not got deleted. I recently got an Asus Laptop and it has a funky Touchpad where sometimes words are deleted. I will Edit the Post to correct it. Obviously, I was not saying the Vantages were as good as the Summits as the rest of the Post makes fairly clear.

Hello,
No worries Len. My bad on that. My thoughts are you can find a pair of Vantages for under 2500 Dollars on Audiogon. Add a pair of Vistas for Surrounds for around 1500-1600 and you have Mains and Surrounds that are ESL for less than Summits. Add a Depth or Descent and Stage, Motif, Cinema, or Theater and you have an excellent 5.1 HT.

If this was primarily a 2 Channel setup, I could see going with Summits or Spires, but if 5.1 HT is the direction this combo works splendidly. Moreover, the Vantages are still excellent for 2 Channel Listening. Just not as good as the others.
Cheers,
JJ

I would not rule out the older Martin Logans completely though... I never really understood why people place such huge emphasis on the newer models' somewhat extended low bass response because imho it is a totally moot point: Martin Logans just do not have any real usable deep bass from the top of the line model to the bottom - new or old. Yes, I have heard the CLX setup with top of the line McIntosh gear at my local HIFI store and a rep from Martin Logan was there showcasing the CLX with all sorts of demo material. To me the CLX even just could not even produce 20% of what my SL3 with a couple of JL Audio Fathom 113 subs can produce, not even close. Obviously it is not really fair to make this comparison, but still for that amount of $, I am going to expect alot more slam and low end impact and bass you can feel in your body. When the rep turned on the ML sub, everything came together nicely but without the sub the sound was just very thin.
Of course ML is in the business to sell newer speakers but in my opinion, a good pair of older ML's will keep up with many of today's lineup. I am also a huge fan of the larger panels - seems like ML today is trying to make the panels smaller to please the wifes of audiphiles who say "that huge monster is not going in my living room"!
I will take a pair of Prodigy's any day of the newer line up and am actually still searching for a pair!:music:

Have you heard summits? They've got about as much low end extension and slam as nearly anything out there.

Back