Lets Talk a little....Analog !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VPI does not carry them for the HW 19, but have advised me that any cone with a 10-32 thread will fit. So far I have not managed to locate any.

Bernard,

Check out "OregonDV". Not only do their cone feet make GREAT feet for ML speakers, they actually make them with 10/32 threads (at an additional cost...)

Scroll to the bottom of the screen on this page.

You can get them in either "black chrome" or "gold" finish. I have the 1.5" gold ones under my Sequels, and I have the 2.15" gold ones under my amp stands. I'm going to order some more 2.15" gold cones for my sub, and some 15" for my rear speakers (Scenarios) sometime next month...

--Richard

Bernard,

Check out "OregonDV". Not only do their cone feet make GREAT feet for ML speakers, they actually make them with 10/32 threads (at an additional cost...)
Richard, thanks for the link. I checked Audio Advisor, per aliveatfive's suggestion, but it looks like they no longer carry them.

Who says there's no Easter Bunny ???

I believe in the Easter Bunny, but then I believe in Santa Claus too !

The Bunny brought me a very nice upgrade for my VPI Aries-3......"Super Platter" and Periphery Ring. One very heavy and serious combo !

After I've got some 'Rotating time' on her, I'll post some feedback.

Anybody in need of a standard VPI platter ??

Attachments

• IMG_0850.JPG
    IMG_0850.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 101
Oh sure Dave, just as soon as I add a juicy new SDS to my setup you have to go and trump me again. I fold, I can't hang with you buddy!

Seriously, that's really great. I look forward to your impressions.;)

I believe in the Easter Bunny, but then I believe in Santa Claus too !

The Bunny brought me a very nice upgrade for my VPI Aries-3......"Super Platter" and Periphery Ring. One very heavy and serious combo !

After I've got some 'Rotating time' on her, I'll post some feedback.

Anybody in need of a standard VPI platter ??

Oh, that is sweet! I've been looking at the "Super Platter" also, but that will have to wait for a while. I notice that, in your picture, it looks like the Periphery Ring is actually below the record?? I thought it was supposed to hold the edge of the record down, to flatten irregularities (warps)??

Steve, I don't think there is a record on the platter in that picture, so you're only seeing the platter and the ring itself. If there were a record on it then the undercut at the perifery of the platter allows the albums lip an area of clearance so as not to interfere with the platter. The ring sits directly on the LP forcing it down against the platter. Does that make sense?

Yes, thanks Tim. I thought the ring had to hold the record some way, but it just wasn't apparant from the photo, to me. Now that I look more closely at the picture, I can see there are no grooves on that shiny black surface I thought was a record!

Dave, I'd love to see a closeup of the ring in place with a record on the platter.

Last edited:
a question for you VPI owners... would you consider the rim drive?

(just a curious question as I don't hear many reports about it and HW himself reportedly doesn't like the sound)

Dave,

Thanks for the photo and all the encouragement for the wonderful world of analog! I am sooo hooked.

Just getting ready to listen to some of the new albums that were dropped off on my front porch today... I think I'll start off with Johnny Shines / last Night's Dream, then Muddy Waters, Johnny Cash and then try out the 45 rpm Colman Hawkins / The Hawk Relaxes then go back to 33 1/3 for J.J. Cale / Naturally and if the cop don't show up by then I'll throw on Jimi Hendrix / Axis: Bold As Love.

Aaaannnaaalooog; Think Homer with a new box of doughnuts ...

Satch

(just a curious question as I don't hear many reports about it and HW himself reportedly doesn't like the sound)

I'd only consider it if I heard it and it sounded better than the same table with belt drive. If it was golf ball drive and sounded better, then why not?

Dave, I'd love to see a closeup of the ring in place with a record on the platter.
Dave, please take that one step further and show the cartridge in the lead-in groove, as I am curious about the clearance between the ring and the cartridge body.

I was surprised to see the rim drive on the VPI site, as it seems similar to an idler wheel arrangement. I always thought that a belt drive was used to smooth out any slight speed variations in the motor, whereas any speed variations using an idler were immediately transferred to the platter. But if it sounds better, why not ?

Dave, please take that one step further and show the cartridge in the lead-in groove, as I am curious about the clearance between the ring and the cartridge body.

Yes, I'm curious about that, too. Also, how does it fit with records of different sizes, both in diameter and in thickness. I know the records are supposed to be the same diameters, but I bet there are some variances and I'd like to understand how the ring handles that.

Hi guys, I plan on spinning some "black pizza" tonite, so I'll try a macro shot or two and let you know !

I was surprised to see the rim drive on the VPI site, as it seems similar to an idler wheel arrangement. I always thought that a belt drive was used to smooth out any slight speed variations in the motor, whereas any speed variations using an idler were immediately transferred to the platter. But if it sounds better, why not ?

The idea is I think is that idler drives (rim drive in this case) have very good speed stability and perceived PRaT at the expense of increased, though slight, rumble.

Very cartridge dependent, I am pretty sure they won't work with Dynavector 17DIII cartridges as there is very little clearance between the short stylus (meant cantilever) and the record.

Last edited:
Very cartridge dependent, I am pretty sure they won't work with Dynavector 17DIII cartridges as there is very little clearance between the short stylus and the record.
Yes, that was my concern, but there may also be a problem with a wide cartridge body not clearing the ring.

Gents , I've spun but two Lp's so far.......listen up VPI owners....if you don't have at least the Periphery ring, GET IT ! I can tell you this much, so far the combination of the platter and ring has REDIFINED the bottom octaves !! Tighter, more controlled and better defined are but a few adjectives that come to mind.

Those that know me, personally or just from the forums, know that I'm not one for jumping on bandwagons and professing the "Second Coming", but this recent upgrade is WITHOUT QUESTION the most dramatic improvement I've made to my analog set-up in a long time !

Tim, I know you probably don't want me near your neighborhood next time out and Sandy would probably like to shoot me but you have to put these two items on your short list !

Bernard, Steve, here's a "half-assed" pic I took with my point and shoot(I'll take a better macro shot later) absolutely no clearence problem with my VPI/DynaVector 20XM.

That's all for now, I've got to go change my diaper !

Attachments

• IMG_0853.JPG
    IMG_0853.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 117
Gents , I've spun but two Lp's so far.......listen up VPI owners....if you don't have at least the Periphery ring, GET IT !
No can do. For my HW 19 I would have to get the new platter as well, per VPI's website. Please let us know what about the setup caused you to disgrace yourself, i.e. in what areas you hear improvements.

Back