Killed the NAC!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renpar61

Reaction score
I was reading some posts just for fun, and I came across a post about the NAC feature on ML Clarity. I have to admit it never occurred to me to shut it off. In my mind it was an extra driver, so why kill it?
I tried to switch it off just for curiosity, and.... :rocker:
My Clarity came back to new life: better detail, better soundstage more accurate highs across the board!
I am sure it has a lot to do with my placement (not the best in my case, for space constraints).
Maybe I'm not the only Clarity owner who has never decided to compare NAC on / NAC off. If so, I strongly suggest everyone to give it a try.

what the heck does NAC mean?

From ML:
"The NAC, or natural ambience compensation, maximizes off-axis, high-frequency dispersion, which assures listeners a perfect performance no matter where they are located in a room. A true audiophile solution, the NAC is parallel to the signal path and features a power switch to adjust for listener preference."

From ML:
"The NAC, or natural ambience compensation, maximizes off-axis, high-frequency dispersion, which assures listeners a perfect performance no matter where they are located in a room.
To quote Montgomery Scott, chief engineer, USS Enterprise, NCC-1701A: "The more ye overtake the plumbin', the easier it is to stop up the drain!":rocker:

Must be room/placement dependent...I find the NAC, switched on, sounds best. It doesn't really change the sound stage or detail IMO. It's more like it's adding reflective waves outside the sound stage. To a lesser extent, I find it backs up the panels, like a sub backs up 8" driver. Also what you have inline before your speakers does make a difference. Tube amps put much more presence in mid range and some are more liquid and lucid in HF as well.

Back