JVC vs. Kenwood vs. Clarion car audio

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube60

Reaction score
Hey everybody
The factory Nakamichi system in my Lexus died, and I'm looking at a double-DIN head unit with satnav and a 7" LCD touchscreen. All three offer similar units, and fairly close in price. Right now my only personal preference is Clarion; I've installed their products before in other cars, way back in the day. JVC and Kenwood I'll be checking out tonight after work at the dealer. I fully realize these units pack a lot of stuff into a small package. I'm not looking for ultimate fidelity really; versatility is my main need. And to be able to fill a big hole in my car's console!:rolleyes:

Check out the Pioneer Avic Z series double din nav unit. Have always been the king of the mass market offerings in that product category in my book (although with a retail in the $1500 to $2000 price range, not cheap by any definition of the word).

if you want the best (imo) go with the double DIN Alpine.
Looked at them, sound is awesome, but they're out of my league price-wise.
I've narrowed it down to the JVC NX7000BT, and the Clarion NX509. I'm favoring the Clarion pretty heavily, but it's all on face value for now; the nearest authorized dealers are hundreds of miles from where I live.
Now another big question is, should I build a tube amp for the front channels?:music:

JVC
Pros: User customizable graphics display; more choices for solid media file formats; optional CD changer control.
Cons: LCD screen is detachable for security purposes, which means the unit sticks out quite a ways from the console; 5-channel preamp outputs (one for sub); I'd much prefer 6-channel.

Clarion
Pros: Much more streamlined looking installation, thanks to the non-removable screen; 6-channel preamp outputs (two for sub); sub output's crossover can be bypassed.
Cons: No user customizable graphics display; no CD changer control; more limited solid media file formats.

Looked at them, sound is awesome, but they're out of my league price-wise.
I've narrowed it down to the JVC NX7000BT, and the Clarion NX509. I'm favoring the Clarion pretty heavily, but it's all on face value for now; the nearest authorized dealers are hundreds of miles from where I live.
Now another big question is, should I build a tube amp for the front channels?:music:

JVC
Pros: User customizable graphics display; more choices for solid media file formats; optional CD changer control.
Cons: LCD screen is detachable for security purposes, which means the unit sticks out quite a ways from the console; 5-channel preamp outputs (one for sub); I'd much prefer 6-channel.

Clarion
Pros: Much more streamlined looking installation, thanks to the non-removable screen; 6-channel preamp outputs (two for sub); sub output's crossover can be bypassed.
Cons: No user customizable graphics display; no CD changer control; more limited solid media file formats.

well what is your budget? The Alpine unit is about $1,000 or so. It is really worth the extra few hundred bucks in the end imo...

You are paying for their crappy navigation system in that unit.
Yeah, the price & the reviews turned me off. What I'm looking for is a satnav included; I don't have much need for a handheld, but a built-in nav in the car would come in handy for me. I've borrowed a friend's portable Tom Tom, which is really great, but I find it a bit of a nuisance in the car. It always seems to get in my way!:rolleyes:
I'm still gravitating towards the Clarion NX509. Good reviews and good price!
Thanks so much for the advice though. If I had no interest in satnav, Alpine would be my pick after the recommendations you've offered! :bowdown:

Back