Car audio choices on a budget?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are still looking for stuff, I have some for sale.

Eclipse CD 8053 head unit. 24 bit DACs, time alignment, flexible crossovers, 3 preouts, and 10 band parametric EQ. It is a dead head...so no amp built in. Nice unit. Doesnt play MP3 or DVD or have iPod controls or anything but it sure sounds nice and looks good. $200 shipped.

I also have an Exile 800.4 amplifier. 100x4 or 400x2. $200 shipped as well.

:)

I second the reccomendation on the Eclipse 8053. It has fantastic d/a converters, the pre-amp out (16 volt balanced) and matches well with zapco symbilink (balanced) amps.

It is the last of the Eclipse balanced head units and offers time delay /phase in the digital domain (allows for fronts stage to intergrate with the subs). It also has rca input for a ipod (though it doesnt control a ipod). To do better your looking at the ultra high end denon/clarion/macintosh (ie $1500 head units).

For amps, I suggest the Zapco reference gear. Rock solid reliable and sounds very good (The silver or grey Reference series can be found at reasonable prices). The symbilink interconnects (balanced) double as line drivers and work well in a car setting. To do better, you will have to spend a lot more.

For drivers, I really like Image Dynamics chameleon components and IQ subs. The chameleon replaced my Dynaudio set at a 1/3 the cost, however to get the best - Upgrade the Image Dynamics crossovers.

The IDQ subs are a standard woofer (ie not high excursion) but at are very efficent, fast, and very musical (high end car audio). They also work well in sealed small enclosures). Depending on how well your car is sealed, a high excursion sub may work better (TC Sounds or the Image Dynamic ID MAX). Each design has trade-offs.

I have tried many car systems and have run this system and it never ceases to amaze me with the musicality and imaging, and power (rare in car audio).

Hope that helps,

Mike

Last edited:
I ran the ID chameleons at one time. I loved them. But the Exile Xtec65 was everything they were and more. :) Zapco amps are top notch. I like to run old school Phoenix Gold M or MP/MPS amps. Had a Son of Frank that I wish I had not sold. I had the matching xover and MPS2240 and bass cube as well. All sold :(

The Eclipse really sounds good. I might try the Kenwood 25th anniversary unit next.

thanks for the heads up on the Exile Xtec65... i will look them up.

How are the crossovers ? that is where i found the ID lacking. when i changed them out for a pair of dynaaudio's GT's, i was blown away ( i sold the dyna drivers and kept the crossovers and used them with the ID).

Vauxhall research concludes the car is one of the best acoustic environments for singing.......
I thought of this thread.
Thanks! And an interesting read it was. I'm afraid I won't be putting that theory to practice any time soon; the last time I tried to sing, I put most of the local frogs into a mating frenzy. And it wasn't even springtime.........

Back