Just how "in the minority" are we as Audiophiles?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the flip side of that coin is that many people who have those sad little cubes HAVE AND WILL spend the money on a good system if they are properly introduced to it but what they are greeted with in most HIFI store ( please do not jump all over me for this there are good ones we all know this they are just diamonds in the rough) is a high brow size you up attitude of rude sale men who should be at the carnival selling tickets to get on the tilt a whirl let alone musical equipment. more people are turned away from this than I think you can figure and I think it ruins or hobby

Yes, I totally agree with your point! I can't stand when you go into nice high end audio store that has very nice audio and video systems set up and you decide to stroll around and take a look. First of all there is NO music playing on any system, and sometimes even no video (especially when they were still hawking the massive 3 gun projectors!) anywhere... The salespeople follow you around and watch your every move - even if you are a previous customer they treat you like a little child. Makes me feel very uncomfortable and is a big turn off. Yes I think this sort of treatment gives would / could be audiophiles a bad taste in their mouth.

why is it that there is never any music playing??? it does not have to be loud but at least put on a nice non offensive CD and hit the repeat button :( oops my bad that means that somoene would have to actually do their job lol

I have to agree. Finally found a TERRIFIC place when on a trip to Florida last year: Front Row Center High End, and co-owner Elliot Goldman is a terrific and extremely knowledgeable gentleman. If one is honest with him regarding what they are looking for and their budget, he will tailor a couple of quite excellent options for your consideration.

Don't mean this as an ad -- just thrilled to find a true professional, and a real gent to boot! :music:

Last edited:
I have to agree. Finally found a TERRIFIC place when on a trip to Florida last year: Front Row Center High End, and co-owner Elliot Goldman is a terrific and extremely knowledgeable gentleman...

Thanks for this fortuitous tip! I happen to be in Ft. Lauderdale this weekend, and just ran over to check them out. They're now located in Pompano Beach, and I believe their Grand Opening is in a couple weeks. They are still setting their multiple A/V rooms, and I listened to the Spires- EXCELLENT, even being driven by a generic Pioneer CD player and Anthem gear. He also has a pair of Cherry CLX's, and Magico V3's, though neither were currently hooked up. Sure would have loved to listen to both, perhaps next time. Elliot and I chatted a bit about high end audio, and he's clearly a knowledgeable guy. For those of you lucky enough to reside in South Florida, definitely check them out!

Super strong point, Fish. I hate walking into hi-fi shops because within 1 minute you are generally harassed. I never feel relaxed in them. And if you want to listen to something you daren't ask because you know they'll expect you to buy it.

I really bad example of this was in Sounds By Singer in NYC. I was basically told to get out if I wasn't serious about anything. The usual "just looking" I use over here did NOT go down well in there.

Not that I am an apologist for Singer but I have never had a bad experience at Singer and I've only bought one amplifier and a record cleaning machine over the years.

While I'm sure to draw criticism, one of the failings of the industry is to equate hifi to the worlds of cars, watches, cameras and other useless conspicuous consumption. Music is an important part of the human condition. Even your dog or cat can understand when product A. sounds more lifelike than product B. Hot cars, watches and cameras are machines which are designed to merely stroke the ego.

During the decline of the hobby hifi salemen and the magazines have equated expeditures on quality hifi to buying a ferrari or porsche or some marginally practical endulgence. This takes the place of selling the advantages of reproducing music within one's home.

In many communities its the guy with the 5 ferraris and 20 $10,000+ watches who is the butt of criticism. The guy with the Mc Mansion and the ill behaved kids. No one wants to be that guy and jump into a hobby he likes --- which seems limited to playing a garish home theater too loudly at all times.

I get the immediate feeling of being sized up when you walk into a high end audio store. it does happen. But, I had a really nice experience at Sound by Singer with a friend of mine on a visit to NYC. My buddy bought a cartridge at the end of our visit. that was it. But we talked about turntables and the eventually lead us to the A room and we listened to their top end system. The friend and I had a great experience at place in Boston (whose name i can't recall, but it was near BU i think) where we auditioned a pair of Gallo Nucleus Reference 3s. after spending some time and looking around, the played a $40,000 pair of Dali's for us. good times!

why is it that there is never any music playing??? it does not have to be loud but at least put on a nice non offensive CD and hit the repeat button :( oops my bad that means that somoene would have to actually do their job lol

In defense of no music playing, the hi-fi salesman is subjected to music of all kinds, at all volumes, many times a day. When no one is in the shop a little peace and quiet is deeply appreciated.

When I sold gear one rule was to never, ever, bring music I enjoyed to the shop. My serious listening was done at home, even new gear was listened to that way to evaluate it.

Remember, selling is about selling, not the love of music.

Man, a lot of good thoughts here. I know maybe 2 true audiophiles. But, I know a few people who do love music, like i do. They just will not go to the degree that we do to spend and purchase the type of equipment that we all know and love. A very good friend of mine, moved to delaware. he recently sent me 19, yes 19 cds with mp3s on them. I`m in the process once again in building a new system. So, he sent me some music. Great stuff, classic stuff, but alas, in MP3.

Yuck, i`m grateful, but I`m not big on MP3. So, this is what i`m saying. His collection is as big as mine once was. Now, he is consolidating everything over to cds and MP3`s. And he has heard my previous systems, loved them, but never made that investment? Why? How can you hear that, and not be moved?

Likewise, what does need to change is the attitudes in high end salons. The snobby, unfriendly, stuck up attitude that is somewhat prevalent in these stores, is not going to help bring what may be potential high end customers to what we here all know and love.

Not to me...and I've been in sales most of my adult life. Granted in my business (transportation, nothing to drool over like audio or music !) I agree with your statement to a point, but in the world of audio I for one embrace someone in the business who cherishes and loves music and is able to bring that passion with him or her in the sales of top flite gear.

hell, if i wanted to deal with just "another dumb salesman" I'd go buy another car !

In defense of no music playing, the hi-fi salesman is subjected to music of all kinds, at all volumes, many times a day. When no one is in the shop a little peace and quiet is deeply appreciated.

When I sold gear one rule was to never, ever, bring music I enjoyed to the shop. My serious listening was done at home, even new gear was listened to that way to evaluate it.

I can understand not bringing your favorites to work

Not to me...and I've been in sales most of my adult life. Granted in my business (transportation, nothing to drool over like audio or music !) I agree with your statement to a point, but in the world of audio I for one embrace someone in the business who cherishes and loves music and is able to bring that passion with him or her in the sales of top flite gear.

hell, if i wanted to deal with just "another dumb salesman" I'd go buy another car !

Twitch I like your style. I am actually considering opening a friendly high end store just for the fun of putting all the competitors in town out of business.

1. High paid salary only salesmen

2. Big multiroom showroom

3. Free in home demos

4. Free installation

5. Liberal trade-ins

6. Massive inventory. (I have access to really cheap money)

Fun For ALL

Twitch I like your style. I am actually considering opening a friendly high end store just for the fun of putting all the competitors in town out of business.

1. High paid salary only salesmen

2. Big multiroom showroom

3. Free in home demos

4. Free installation

5. Liberal trade-ins

6. Massive inventory. (I have access to really cheap money)

Fun For ALL

I would never doubt any mans ambition but lets see you put your money where your mouth is.its easier said than done and unless you have an unlimited bankroll and I mean unlimited it will be hard to sustain such a liberal business plan.

even if you did have limitless funds you would soon grow tired of giving away your service for practically nothing.

as the Joker said if you are good at something never do it for free.

I would never doubt any mans ambition but lets see you put your money where your mouth is.its easier said than done and unless you have an unlimited bankroll and I mean unlimited it will be hard to sustain such a liberal business plan.

even if you did have limitless funds you would soon grow tired of giving away your service for practically nothing.

as the Joker said if you are good at something never do it for free.

We just have a different view on life... Hifi is much cheaper than racehorses or a vineyard and with real estate getting cheaper everyday I can buy the building housing the store and sell it at a profit if I grow tired of the hifi business.

The issue really becomes whether one can turn a great hifi store into a resource for the community or would it just be a self indulgence. A secondary issue is that if you have to spend a few million in the process it may be better to increase one's charitable donations to the performing arts etc...

Relative to the business plan, such as it is, I created a generic 2 volume book on the business plan development / capital budgeting and I respectfully think your estimate of limitless capital is a bit overstated. Limitless capital is closer to what is going to be needed to bail out the underlying mortgages of ABX-HE-aaa-06-2 --- when the defaults go through the proverbial roof:ROFL:---I'm talking about a hifi store with a few good lines and a few good men and women working there.

P.S. I wont get tired of providing the service since I can't really afford to work at the store --- where did I say I took a vow of poverty.

I am a little surprised and concerned that someone of your stature is so concerned with putting others out of biz ALTMAN.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back