Jumping in… and the water is fine (on order: Summits, Stage, Scripts)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottG

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m finally fulfilling a 15+ year dream and have ordered my FIRST set of Martin Logan speakers. I started this quest 5 minutes after listening to JonFo’s schweet Monoliths III system in the late 80s/early 90s. Jonathan and I ran around with a set of ultra geeks slapping together software code during the day, but we all looked forward to the monthly audio night at Jonathan’s. :drool: We would bring our favorite content and all listen to the joy of a well tuned ML system.

Well long story short, more reasonable housing prices, upcoming price increase on Summits all point to now is the TIME :rocker: … Sooo for the past month… I’ve been voraciously reading the forum (THANK YOU ALL for all your insights and most of all your passion :cheers: ), emailing Jonathan, talking with the local ML dealer and painting the home theater room… all preparing me for the plunge.

As soon as the gear is in, I’ll take pictures to share but here’s what on order:

MLs:
Main: Summits in natural cherry
Center: Stage in black
Scripts: black

Audio gear:
Receiver: Sunfire Theater Grand III receiver http://www.sunfire.com/TGR3.htm
DVD: Oppo: DV-981HD
HD-DVD: Toshiba HD-XA2 January

Video
Projector: Sony VPL-VW50 ‘Pearl’
Screen: 100” StudioTek 130

I'm looking forward to participating in this GREAT forum when the gear is in...

Scott

Scott, welcome! Sounds like you are taking the plunge with a VERY sweet system and room to utilize things to the best advantage. Very cool - now all your friends (including JonFo I'm sure), will be gathering round your system as well for some serious enjoyment. Sounds like JonFo has been quite the mentor and audio ambassador for you, and you have pulled together a terriffic system to enjoy both music and movies. Welcome to the club! Please post pictures soon in the Members System section!

:welcome:

Scott,

WELCOME! Right into the deep end it looks like! You won't be unhappy with that set up, and if you are let me know, I'll take it off your hands! ;)

I look forward to seeing a picture of this AWESOME set up!

As soon as the gear is in, I’ll take pictures to share but here’s what on order:

MLs:
Main: Summits in natural cherry
Center: Stage in black
Scripts: black

Audio gear:
Receiver: Sunfire Theater Grand III receiver http://www.sunfire.com/TGR3.htm
DVD: Oppo: DV-981HD
HD-DVD: Toshiba HD-XA2 January

Video
Projector: Sony VPL-VW50 ‘Pearl’
Screen: 100” StudioTek 130

Scott, welcome! Sounds like you are taking the plunge with a VERY sweet system and room to utilize things to the best advantage. Very cool - now all your friends (including JonFo I'm sure), will be gathering round your system as well for some serious enjoyment. Sounds like JonFo has been quite the mentor and audio ambassador for you, and you have pulled together a terriffic system to enjoy both music and movies. Welcome to the club! Please post pictures soon in the Members System section!

Tim, thanks for your reply and kind words. Indeed, JonFo has been a mentor for all my audio and video purchases throughout the years.. pervious to this purchase, he turned me on to a very nice Mirrage setup. But it's time to walk away from double A and embrace the big leagues. Looking forward to joining the ML club as an owner... but I must say JonFo's sytem is still setting a high enough bar for me to get 'Joey itis'... :haha1:

Scott,

I look forward to seeing a picture of this AWESOME set up!

THX... I'm hoping for speakers/receiver to come in next week... projector/screen installed by EOM. My biggest challenge right now is the gear closet is to shallow :mad: :banghead: only 20' or so...

I'm thinking my best bet is to break out the right wall of the gear closet (which backs up into a closet in a bedroom)... yes the gear will be turned the wrong way.. but I'll have easy access to connections.

Of course I may want to keep the gear out for a while... in case some friends come by and want to see the what's powering the system. ;)

My biggest challenge right now is the gear closet is to shallow :mad: :banghead: only 20' or so...

How deep is your gear! 20 FEET seems like plenty of room to me! LOL! Just messing w/ you! 20" is going to be a tight fit for sure! I would think in a dedicated space like that 25" to maybe even 30" would be a good idea...plenty of breathing room that way!

Good luck, it is going to be an AWESOME set up when you get it finished!

How deep is your gear! 20 FEET seems like plenty of room to me! LOL! QUOTE]

LOL my gear is DEEP :eek:

the next 3-4 weeks is going to be tough... everything ordered... only some of it in the home... most on delivery trucks/stock room... sigh

ScottG,

Welcome to the club. That's the way to do it. Just jump in with both feet and go for the gusto. With a setup like that, you won't get joeyitis for a long time.

Of course there is cabling to consider, and power cords, and power conditioners. . .and then there's room treatments. . .and I don't see that you have a subwoofer mentioned. . .and, well, I could go on. . . .

LOL. Like I said, welcome to the club.

ScottG,

. .and, well, I could go on. . . .

LOL. Like I said, welcome to the club.

Thx Rich… EXACTLY… I have some power condidtioning in mind (JonFo recommendation)… Cables arrived earlier this week from BleanJeans… I’m thinking hard on lower the pool a few more feet by picking up a Velodine DD0-15… of course the new MLs subs look sweet as well… haven’t heard them yet though.

The Velodine's are attractive to me for the EQ factor... having gear auto tune is a great idea to me...

Thx for the welcome :cheers:

Whoa!!

That's an awfully big step to take into the ML world!!!

Congrats and you have who appears to be an awesome mentor!

JOey

Whoa!!

That's an awfully big step to take into the ML world!!!

Congrats and you have who appears to be an awesome mentor!

JOey

Thx Joey... I've been following your journey/upgrades this past month and envy the worlds best computer speakers... :rocker:

Thx Joey... I've been following your journey/upgrades this past month and envy the worlds best computer speakers... :rocker:

Ah yessss... what can I say, my friend, I like to live on the wild side! And keep an eye out for some more upgrades coming right up... DAC.... then.... PowerPlant.... then.... ????...

It's part of the fun! Adventure!!

Joey :cheers:

Welcome ScottG. What a start for a ML fan! I am sure you will enjoy your ML based video system as much as I enjoy mine. I just hope to get my Summits before you get yours (just kidding).

Welcome ScottG. What a start for a ML fan! I am sure you will enjoy your ML based video system as much as I enjoy mine. I just hope to get my Summits before you get yours (just kidding).

Thx TonyC... I ordered the MLs on the 15th... we'll see when they actually get here. I drive to Dallas or Houston once a week... Someday, I'll have to make a side trip to Terrell to see your awesome system :cheers:

Summits ~ Stage ~ Script i's... Brilliant!

Scott,

Welcome to the ML Club! :D

Wow! :wow: Your ears are going to be in Sonic Nirvana and then some.
Marvelous choices on HT components as well. Sunfire TGIII, Toshiba HD-XA2, Sony's Pearl amazing gear. :banana: What a HT you will have to start off with, you must be very excited about your long time dream coming true. What am I talking about, I am excited for you... :p

I just note to JonFo ~ Thank you for helping to bring another wonderful ML system into existence. Your a great mentor for all things ML, DIY or for audio for that matter...

Anyway, Scott it's good to have you here and congratulations!

Attachments

• Big Happy Face.jpg
    Big Happy Face.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 270
Thx TonyC... I ordered the MLs on the 15th... we'll see when they actually get here. I drive to Dallas or Houston once a week... Someday, I'll have to make a side trip to Terrell to see your awesome system :cheers:

Scott,

There are at least 3 of us in the Austin area on this list now! YEA! I am in Cedar Park, we have another guy in South Austin...where are you?

Oh man.. I didnt even notice the Pearl Projector... what an awesome system this will be! :eek:

Scott,

Welcome to the ML Club! :D

Anyway, Scott it's good to have you here and congratulations!

Thx Robin... I am super excited... I've enjoyed your posts this past month... you do an awesome job in keeping this content fresh and fun. KEEP up the GREAT work :cheers:

All is not perfect yet... today I've been frustrated pulling new speaker wire (builder's AV subcontractor pulled 16 AWG...:mad: )... of course the holes in the 2x4 were to small for the 10 AWG I bought @ blueJeans... so the taping the new wire to the old and pulling didn't work.... so... Scott gets to visit the attic... w/ drill... wire snake... you get the idea...

But Karma is still working... my new OPPO 981HD arrived today :D
This will be my DVD-A, SACD, player... giving the Toshiba some time off to focus on HD-DVDs.

Thx again for the kind words...

Scott,

There are at least 3 of us in the Austin area on this list now! YEA! I am in Cedar Park, we have another guy in South Austin...where are you?

I'm right down 620 in Steiner Ranch. (right after the OASIS !!!)... Awesome

I'm right down 620 in Steiner Ranch. (right after the OASIS !!!)... Awesome

SWEET like 20 min away or less!

PLEASE tell me your theater is going to be wheelchair accessible?! I have a friend in Pflugerville who I have known for 10 years or more now and he bought a spec home (very nice one!) but the only place he could put the 106" screen theater was UPSTAIRS! ARGHHH! SUCK!

When I get the big TV (whatever that is...either Sony 70" or Toshiba 72") you will have to come over and emmerse yourself in a direct view cinema experience! :D

Back