Jumping in… and the water is fine (on order: Summits, Stage, Scripts)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome aboard!

Hi Scott, first, welcome aboard!

Good to have you here as a fellow owner. Now that you have a dedicated room, you'll really get to enjoy the sound these speakers can deliver.

It's always great to see others finally join the ranks of the ML owner club.

Let's keep working on how to store the equipment. That Visio I sent you should show that Salamander stand barely fitting. You still need to confirm the doors close ;-)

Hopefully you’ll soon be enjoying the tunes and the movies in your awesome new HT.

Cheers,

Thx TonyC... I ordered the MLs on the 15th... we'll see when they actually get here. I drive to Dallas or Houston once a week... Someday, I'll have to make a side trip to Terrell to see your awesome system :cheers:
Scott, Terrell is only 30 miles southeast of Dallas. You are welcome anytime! A pair of Summits to tide me over until my black ones get here were delivered yesterday, and they rock!

Hi Scott, first, welcome aboard!

Good to have you here as a fellow owner. Now that you have a dedicated room, you'll really get to enjoy the sound these speakers can deliver.

It's always great to see others finally join the ranks of the ML owner club.

Let's keep working on how to store the equipment. That Visio I sent you should show that Salamander stand barely fitting. You still need to confirm the doors close ;-)

Hopefully you’ll soon be enjoying the tunes and the movies in your awesome new HT.

Cheers,

Thx Jonathan... I'm going to remeasure the closet to give an more accurate picture of the darn thing... my guess is it's too small and I'll have to wing it... :p

Scott, Terrell is only 30 miles southeast of Dallas. You are welcome anytime! A pair of Summits to tide me over until my black ones get here were delivered yesterday, and they rock!

Schweeet... I'm hoping my pair get in this week. You must have a very cool retailer to 'loan' you a pair while you wait for your speakers...

Got a couple of calls today... MLs are in and the Sunfire TGIII arrives tomorrow... Scott will be a busy boy tomorrow... putting on capstick now because the grin will be ear to ear.

Got a couple of calls today... MLs are in and the Sunfire TGIII arrives tomorrow... Scott will be a busy boy tomorrow... putting on capstick now because the grin will be ear to ear.

Cool, sounds like a fun day. Enjoy!

OK... Quick update... summits are unpacked... stage is all set (scripts still in box waiting on speaker cables which arrive on Friday)... Room is a COMPLETE mess and I'm *very* happy so far... I know, everyone says after 100 hours or so... I'll really hear the stage grow... but I'm psyched RIGHT NOW :rocker:

I will share my rookie mistake... the Sunfire Theater Grand Receiver does not audio decode over HDMI... you find out on page 13 "Always connect a spearate digital audio input cable when using HDMI."... Well did I read the Manual HECK NO... I plugged in the HDMI... connected the speaker cables and..... PANICED... no sound... HOLY SMOKES something I just unpacked isn't working...

Well, 45 min later, I tried connecting the digital cable and TA DA glorious sound going to the Summits.

First thing played through the Summits: DVD DTS U2 Go Home Live from Slane Castle Ireland... give me a another day to clean up the room a bit... get the scripts installed and I'll post the pictures...

Today, I'm officially a ML owner !!!

Today, I'm officially a ML owner !!!

YEA! I just wish it were down stairs so I could enjoy it w/ you! Dang it! Oh, well, you will just have to come over and check out my system and when I finally get to build that addition w/ the Theater we can have movie night over here! :D

Have fun with it and I look forward to the pics!

BTW... I have new found respect for Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon

Holy Smokes :eek: does that SACD album sound GREAT on the Summits...

I can only guess what it sounds like on Vinyl :rocker:

........ Today, I'm officially a ML owner !!!

Scott,

Congrats. Welcome to the ML Summit fraternity! No doubt, Joey will be initiating you to the secret Summit handshake in due course. Enjoy! :cheers:

Ben

BTW... I have new found respect for Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon

Holy Smokes :eek: does that SACD album sound GREAT on the Summits...

Scott, great to hear you got it all rolling.
Tsk, tsk, such memory, you actually noted two weeks ago that the TGR3 HDMI did not carry audio. ;)

I also just sat trough a full DSTM on SACD 'experience' last week after watching the 'Classic Albums' show on DSTM on VH1.
ML's sure ring out every last bit of nuance in that recording. Astounding what they did with the tech of the day.

You will enjoy it even more when you have all five channels worth of sound (unless you just played the 2ch CD side) as the multichannel SACD mix has excellent use of the full soundfield, with aggressive panning to the rears.

Quick, order the Porcupine Tree DVD-A’s from Amazon if you really want to hear what these puppies can do. These are some of the best mastered discs I’ve heard in a long time and fantastic demo’s of what a good system can deliver. You will also dig the music. If you like Rock and prog (and Pink Floyd is prog), PT is a great band to get into.

Deadwing is the newest and best album (make sure you get the DVD-A edition linked here):
http://www.amazon.com/Deadwing-Porcupine-Tree/dp/B0007ZEBI0/

Stupid dreams is a bit older, stunning mix and my favorite in terms of music, a bit less edge than Deadwing (again, get the ‘enhanced’ 1 CD / 1 DVD-A version).
http://www.amazon.com/Stupid-Dream-Porcupine-Tree/dp/B000FVRRH8/

Scott, great to hear you got it all rolling.
Tsk, tsk, such memory, you actually noted two weeks ago that the TGR3 HDMI did not carry audio. ;)

I also just sat trough a full DSTM on SACD 'experience' last week after watching the 'Classic Albums' show on DSTM on VH1.
ML's sure ring out every last bit of nuance in that recording. Astounding what they did with the tech of the day.

You will enjoy it even more when you have all five channels worth of sound (unless you just played the 2ch CD side) as the multichannel SACD mix has excellent use of the full soundfield, with aggressive panning to the rears.

Quick, order the Porcupine Tree DVD-A’s from Amazon if you really want to hear what these puppies can do. These are some of the best mastered discs I’ve heard in a long time and fantastic demo’s of what a good system can deliver. You will also dig the music. If you like Rock and prog (and Pink Floyd is prog), PT is a great band to get into.

Deadwing is the newest and best album (make sure you get the DVD-A edition linked here):
http://www.amazon.com/Deadwing-Porcupine-Tree/dp/B0007ZEBI0/

Stupid dreams is a bit older, stunning mix and my favorite in terms of music, a bit less edge than Deadwing (again, get the ‘enhanced’ 1 CD / 1 DVD-A version).
http://www.amazon.com/Stupid-Dream-Porcupine-Tree/dp/B000FVRRH8/

Yes, yes. I will admit that my brain was not functioning on all cylinders while opening up the boxes... GREAT tips on the music... will order them today. Pulling rear speakwires tomorrow night... then I should be able to listen to all this 5.1 content in it's full glory.

And the journey begins...

oh, one more note: 18 hours into having MLs in the house and I'm happy to report no Joeyitis :haha1:

18 hours into having MLs in the house and I'm happy to report no Joeyitis :haha1:

It is to soon...still in the incubation state! You should have the full blown disease in a few months...very long incubation period. Some folks get lucky and it takes years to really ignite others get it almost over night, but it sounds like you might be able to hold off the infection for a few months now! :haha1:

Oh, I went by Audio Systems today. Stuart is a really nice guy. Had him price out a Salamander stand for me for the eventual Sony 70" purchase! $1800...YEOW! Nice stand, but dang it!

Scott,

Congrats. Welcome to the ML Summit fraternity! No doubt, Joey will be initiating you to the secret Summit handshake in due course. Enjoy! :cheers:

Ben

Scott,

Yes.... before I forget....

Here's the secret handshake... *____*.... welcome to the club! Dont let anyone see the handshake, it's only for the Summit clan.

:cheers:
Joey

Oh, I went by Audio Systems today. Stuart is a really nice guy. Had him price out a Salamander stand for me for the eventual Sony 70" purchase! $1800...YEOW! Nice stand, but dang it!

Whoa... nice... but not that nice :confused: Can't wait to check out the new home theater... 70" Sony... again... whoa :eek:

I need to get the rears hooked up stat...

Scott,

Yes.... before I forget....

Here's the secret handshake... *____*.... welcome to the club! Dont let anyone see the handshake, it's only for the Summit clan.

:cheers:
Joey

heh... Got it... ;)

Hi Scott,
Welcome to the ML addiction club, I'll see you in bankruptcy court!:D Seriously though, darn nice system you put together there. I'm in Austin as well, my HT is upstairs and I have the TGIII. Small world. You are going to dig your setup. Wish I would have known sooner you were working on an HT, my wife and I built our own and it has turned out very nice. One thing I just wanted to kind of throw out there, choose a sub carefully as these Logans are blinding fast, a "lesser" sub will show itself rather quickly and drive you nuts. I did alot of reading/researching and ended up buying the ACI Titan II LE and could not be happier. It is very very quick and puts out like a cheerleader on prom night!:rocker:

Anyway, if you need some help with anything in your HT feel free to contact me and if you would like to swing by my house and check out mine(could give you some ideas) please feel free. I live close to Slaughter and Manchaca. I hope to meet you and James soon!!
Sincerely,
John

Last edited:
Hi Scott,
Welcome to the ML addiction club, I'll see you in bankruptcy court!:D Seriously though, darn nice system you put together there. I'm in Austin as well, my HT is upstairs and I have the TGIII. Small world. You are going to dig your setup. Wish I would have known sooner you were working on an HT, my wife and I built our own and it has turned out very nice. One thing I just wanted to kind of throw out there, choose a sub carefully as these Logans are blinding fast, a "lesser" sub will show itself rather quickly and drive you nuts. I did alot of reading/researching and ended up buying the ACI Titan II LE and could not be happier. It is very very quick and puts out like a cheerleader on prom night!:rocker:

Anyway, if you need some help with anything in your HT feel free to contact me and if you would like to swing by my house and check out mine(could give you some ideas) please feel free. I live close to Slaughter and Manchaca. I hope to meet you and James soon!!
Sincerely,
John

John, good pt on the sub... I haven't picked one up yet... thinking about the Velodyne D-15. First thing first though... Screen and projector installed hopefully witin the next 2 weeks. I'd love to see your HT... if nothing else to hear the sub... my HT is pretty much done... at least I have little energy left to make any changes.

Looks like w/ have a few ML enthusiasts in Austin. :)

Here's a picture on the fronts... imagine if you will a 100" screen... also I haven't figured out if I'm going under or over the screen w/ the Stage.

Attachments

• DSC04245.jpg
    DSC04245.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 104
Back