Joeyitis has struck again

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerius007

Reaction score
Crazy term we use for upgrading around here but if the shoe fits...

I held off on buying the Bat VK-5i from a buyer that I knew nothing about. I guess that turned out to be a good thing, today I came across a newly listed VK-30se on audiogon and bought it. Its from the original owner with remote and all the factory papers, box, etc. It even has an extra set of 6h30 tubes so my 2-channel system should be complete (for a few weeks anyways:rolleyes: ).

I cant wait to see what improvements I get from taking out the Sunfire Theater Grand. I really do like the Sunfire but it has no place in a 2-channel system so bye-bye. I have some offers from audiogon for it but if anyone here wants it let me know within the next day. The offered price from 2 different buyers is $675 + shipping so let me know.

The next upgrades will be something to set the Logans on besides the wood floor they sit on now. I havent put the spikes on them yet due to the fact that I dont want to damage the floors so I think I am going to get some granite cut to set under them. I will post some pics when things come in and let you know what I think.

Crazy term we use for upgrading around here but if the shoe fits...

Excellente!!!

I have a new DAC in my system, the PS Audio Digital Link III. Need to listen to it more this week but first impressions are very promising!

It's not actually mine, I'm borrowing from Chris (cstpeter on here) but if the audition proves to be good, I'm going to get one of these babies then...

As always, the trek towards nirvana is full of many stops and toys!!!

Joey:cheers:

PS
We want... PICS!!

It's contagious... I think you catch it by posting in a thread that Joey has touched :). I bought a Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated about a week ago.

Congrats Zach ! Sticking with your "ABC's", I like that !! Keep us posted.

It's contagious... I think you catch it by posting in a thread that Joey has touched :). I bought a Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated about a week ago.

Yeah. I had no desire for Summits. Then I clicked on one of Joey's threads and before I knew it, my system suddenly sucked and I needed all new speakers, and a surround sound pre/pro, and, and, . . . now it just never ends. :devil:

So I dont even have it my hands yet and I am considering different tubes. What is the deal with NOS tubes? There really isnt a ton of options with the 6h30 but they do have tubes from 89'-91'. New tubes cost less than $20 but the NOS cost around $100 each, $200 if you get them from BAT.

I did call a granite store today about having something made for the under the Logans, we will see what they say. I also see ebay has "tube dampeners" which in theory make sense, for less than $20 I will probably have to give them a try as well.

OK, I also need a rack to put this stuff on. The hard part about that is the amp is 24" inches deep and weighs 105lbs. With the space I have I really need to have everything stacked vertically. So if anyone sees any deals on something that will work let me know. I will probably have the amp on the floor with the first shelf a few inches above it.

A couple of suggestions.............

NOS tubes are great but you have to remember they are limited supply. I would use what it was designed around first and then look for NOS tubes if that is your desire. This way you know what you have and can see if there are any differences better or worse. It is just more expensive.

Granite under your speakers is fine. Why not go to a place where they do kitchens and other restorations or even a landscaping company and see if they have any scraps. No one said they have to be perfectly square or the same just enough mass to keep the speaker in place. :D

Tube dampers are a good thing in my opinion. My CJ came with some but I have changed them. I use Herbie's Tube Dampers and they are amazing and yes I did hear a slight difference. His site is http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/.

Good Luck

Jeff:cool:

Congratulations Zach.....as a recent BAT VK31SE owner myself, I know how good it's going to be for you! Now you need to work on the 1072 and cables before any tube changes. The supertubes are really quite good and unless they are failing, enjoy them for awhile.

Actually, I think the worse-case scenario is when you're the one that started the thread Joey posts to. I joined a month or so ago and after a couple of weeks I started a thread, this Joey_V person posts in it, and BAM! (in my best John Madden voice) I'm upgrading my 4-year old Ascents to Summits! :eek:

And I found out today that my Summits have been shipped! Yippee! (I have a hunch, by the way, that I'm going to end up thanking Joey for them. :D )

I think it's Dave who's ruining me... I cant get this new DAC out of my system... must order one.

And now, that stupid TT!!!!! I'm the afflicted one! :(

Joey

I think it's Dave who's ruining me... I cant get this new DAC out of my system... must order one.

Joey, please don't forget that all the PS Audio equipment needs LONG burn-in times - at least 200 hours. You might be deceived about the sound quality right out of the box, but eventually - after a month or so - it will be OK. Also, set the DAC's sampling rate on 192KHz and never touch it again.

Congratulations Zach.....as a recent BAT VK31SE owner myself, I know how good it's going to be for you! Now you need to work on the 1072 and cables before any tube changes. The supertubes are really quite good and unless they are failing, enjoy them for awhile.

I totally agree. The stock tubes will probably be great and I would probably only be wasting money by buying something NOS. I have fairly good cables, all MIT with the exception of the cd player cables which badly need upgraded. I could also use some better A/C cords. As far as the 1072 goes that upgrade will probably be a little while down the road. Audiogon has a couple of BAT cd players for sale but they are all well over $2000. I know it sounds like I am a BAT junkie but these things were built for each other and will without a doubt will have a great synergy so why not. I will however probably audition Cary and Krell before I buy another cd player. I also think I am getting to point of having better electronics than speakers so a change may be in the future in that department as well, but that would be even further down the road.

Joey, please don't forget that all the PS Audio equipment needs LONG burn-in times - at least 200 hours. You might be deceived about the sound quality right out of the box, but eventually - after a month or so - it will be OK. Also, set the DAC's sampling rate on 192KHz and never touch it again.

It's not my DAC, it's my friend's... so I cant have it longer than a week, but I think he's run it for quite some time now.

Joey

Ah the problem rears its ugly head once again. Here's my dilemma: The BAT VK 51se is a very nice sounding unit. After reading reviews of other great preamps (ARC Ref 3, MBL, etc) I felt there was some room for improvement in my BAT. I was waiting for a new design from the factory that could be incorporated into my 51se. Well, disappointment strikes. The new units from BAT are not available as upgrades. I'm trying to audition a Ref 3 as I understand it is a natural with my Ref 110. I'd also love to hear the BAT VK52 (or Rex) but no one seems to have them yet. This time around, money is not as serious a concern as previously because I would now have a BAT preamp, an ARC VT100 III and a Whest phono preamp to trade or sell. The dreaded disease cannot be cured or even treated.

I'd also love to hear the BAT VK52 (or Rex) but no one seems to have them yet. This time around, money is not as serious a concern as previously because I would now have a BAT preamp, an ARC VT100 III and a Whest phono preamp to trade or sell. The dreaded disease cannot be cured or even treated.

Lucky for you, the top of the line rex is only $18k:eek:

Good news and bad news.

The good news is that the bat arrived today and is perfect. Its just getting warmed up and already the difference is amazing. Things are more focused, the Logans are more transparent, and the digital edge has really been taken down quite a few notches. Once I get some time with this I will post a better review but so far so good.

Tube dampers are a good thing in my opinion. My CJ came with some but I have changed them. I use Herbie's Tube Dampers and they are amazing and yes I did hear a slight difference. His site is http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/.

Jeff:cool:

To my suprise this unit already had tube dampers that look like the ones Jeff linked me to, so that was a nice bonus.

Now for the bad news. I need to buy an audio rack and I am going to get nothing done today:D .

Attachments

• DCAO0097.JPG
    DCAO0097.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 116
  • DCAO0094.JPG
    DCAO0094.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 115
Back