$ is No Object Your Ultimate Amplifier for ML's...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone heard Martin Logans paired with Boulder amps? The system widely considered "best of show" at RMAF 08 was the Focal system powered by Boulder 2050s.

how would you compare the Rogue sound to a CJ ???

I have not heard CJ against hybrid Logans so I can't honesty say, but from what I know of CJ I can only assume it would be good !

FWIW, I believe TonePub has run his CJ gear against the Spire's, don't know if he has listened to any Rogue gear or not.

My Fave amps on ML's by far... Blue Circle BC208 mono's and of course, my BC206. :D
Here's the "family portrait" my 206 is in the middle..

Attachments

• PICT0023a.jpg
    PICT0023a.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 299
Well... they don't just look good.. they sound pretty sweet too.. :p
Alas... at $28k the pair for the 208's, I had to settle for a 206.. no slouch I might add, but after living with the 208's for several months .. man, that was a LOT of pain when they had to go home.. :sad:

I have not heard CJ against hybrid Logans so I can't honesty say, but from what I know of CJ I can only assume it would be good !

FWIW, I believe TonePub has run his CJ gear against the Spire's, don't know if he has listened to any Rogue gear or not.

The Rogue gear sounds a lot like very old CJ tube gear. Kind of warm and slow... Very vintage sounding.

The new CJ LP series actually sound a lot more like current ARC or BAT. Subtle differences between the three, but all of them are a lot more modern sounding.

The Rogue gear sounds a lot like very old CJ tube gear. Kind of warm and slow... Very vintage sounding..

Like "very old CJ gear" , Jeff it's a KT-88 based amp, are you trying to tell me it's a whole heck of alot different than a Mac "275" or some of the more recent offerings from PrimaLuna and others ??? me thinks not.......warm....Ok, maybe, but again.......it's a KT-88 based amp !!

As far as the 'slow' factor, hell, I'm 55 years old and slowing down as well !! LOL ! again, IMO, it keeps pace very well.

Neo Classic?

How about this one from Manley Labs? I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet!

Attachments

• Manley 250.jpg
    Manley 250.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 257
I run my MLs only with CJ gear and I can say the sound is glorious. My present system is the best I have ever had it. The sound is detailed, dynamic with great bass. It will be some time before I give up my CJ tube amp.

Rogue Appollo Mono blocks(new)

I run my MLs only with CJ gear and I can say the sound is glorious. My present system is the best I have ever had it. The sound is detailed, dynamic with great bass. It will be some time before I give up my CJ tube amp.

General Features: [back to top]
- Monoblock design for perfect channel separation
- Massive high storage LC power supply
- Ultra-high performance transformers
- Built in bias meters and bias tool
- All precision components
- 6 x KT90, 4 x 12AU7, 2 x 12AX7 tube complement
- CNC machined aluminum chassis
- Heavy-duty gold plated RCA connectors
- Heavy-duty gold plated binding posts
- Balanced (XLR) and RCA inputs
- Both 4 and 8 ohm binding posts
- User selectable triode/ultralinear output
- Fully tested, burned-in, and auditioned
- Entirely designed and built in the USA

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Specifications: [back to top]
- Output power: 250 WPC
- THD: less than 0.1% typical, 1% at peak
- frequency response:
- 20Hz -25KHz at full output, 10Hz -100KHz at 10 watts
- Input sensitivity: 1.0V RMS
- Dimensions: 9.5" W x 24.5" D x 12" H
- Weight: 100 lbs each
- power requirements: 115V/230V - 50/60Hz

Th:afro:ey are speeding up.

Gregadd

Hopefully (man how long have I been saying that !) I will get up to listen to them in May !

Ultimate Amp

Hello All,

Submitted for your consideration, the Sanders Magtech Amp. Regulated power supply, massive output stage, superior sound, reasonably priced. What's not to like? But I MUST admit those tube setups are beautiful and I am sure they sound superlative. All I have are "black boxes" that supply 500w/ch/8ohm and 800w/ch/4ohm. The front panel LED is nice as it is a rail fuse indicator.

Attachments

• IMG_0688.jpg
    IMG_0688.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 595
Last edited:
YEAH, YEAH, YEAH... When pigs fly and the government balances the budget and Rich post's his system!

well I'll be damned.....guess what just flew by my window ???

I talked to Mark (Rougue Audio) today, I'll be up his way next week, planning on doing lunch on Wed. He's got two pairs of Apollos ready to be shipped next week..........stay tuned !

Hello All,

Submitted for your consideration, the Sanders Magtech Amp. Regulated power supply, massive output stage, superior sound, reasonably priced. What's not to like? But I MUST admit those tube setups are beautiful and I am sure they sound superlative. All I have are "black boxes" that supply 500w/ch/8ohm and 800w/ch/4ohm. The front panel LED is nice as it is a rail fuse indicator.

Hi Paul, great choice of vendors, but why the Magtech vs the ESL amp?

Hello All,

Money is no object and you choose The Sanders?? Hmmm. interesting.

Money is no object and you choose The Sanders?? Hmmm. interesting.

Well, are trying to identify the most extravagant and expensive amps around, or are we trying to identify the best amps for our MartinLogans with no budget cap?

If the later, the Sanders is an excellent choice, seeing as how they are the only vendor to actually start their design from the premise that it will be driving an electrostatic speaker (with its unique power demands and reactance profiles).

And if spending big bucks is what it takes to get cred in this thread, then I already proposed a $100K set of amps I hope to own based solely on Sanders amps. ;)

Well, are trying to identify the most extravagant and expensive amps around, or are we trying to identify the best amps for our MartinLogans with no budget cap?

If the later, the Sanders is an excellent choice, seeing as how they are the only vendor to actually start their design from the premise that it will be driving an electrostatic speaker (with its unique power demands and reactance profiles).

And if spending big bucks is what it takes to get cred in this thread, then I already proposed a $100K set of amps I hope to own based solely on Sanders amps. ;)

May I pipe up and throw in an answer?

First off, I'll start by saying I have not heard the Sanders amps so I can't comment, but I have heard my primary choice [the REF610T] with electrostatics [the original Summit] hence my posting.

But the crux of the issue [for me] is this - the Sanders comes from someone who is primarily a great speaker designer NOT an amplifier designer. His primary specialty is designing speakers and he is not noted for his amplifier prowess.

Again, I'll say I have not heard the amps, let alone the amps with electrostatics, but [again, for me] this is at least a little bit significant. I don't know why - it sounds stupid - but someone who is a great speaker designer can't design good amplification / electronics? Somehow, yes. And in every case I've heard, this has been confirmed (and vice versa). To put this into perspective, I don't see ARC with a lineup of speakers (and if they did, I can't see myself getting too excited about them). Similarly, I don't see ML building amps or other electronics.

I'm sure there are exceptions (Meridian?), but I haven't heard them. Two that spring to mind are Krell's lineup of speakers about 10 years ago (yuk) and a Quad amplifer that was a horrid clattery abberation!

Last edited:
Back