Illuminating your panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatJ

Reaction score
I've noticed as I look at some of the photos of the AMAZING systems on here that many of you have installed some sort of lights on/around/behind the panels of your speakers. I'd like to add some light to mine and hope that some of you can help to guide me. I have reQuests and was hoping to find something that could be mounted behind the panels possibly to the inside of the frame so that they will be fairly stealth. I did make an attempt a few years back with some under car neon (don't laugh) and a 12v converter from radio shack (really... stop laughing!!!). It caused a buzzing sound so I quickly scrapped the idea. Now that I see lights here I assume you guys have pulled this off without sacrificing any sound quality! I've seen some LED strips at home depot, lowes, and even ikea that run off the standard 120v so I'm thinking about trying these. What do you suggest?

I personally can do without the light show, but check out the banner ads on this site. You may be able to support an advertiser here.

bounce it

the best way to bring out the translucent quality of the panels is to put a lot of light on the surface behind them (wall, bookshelf, drapes, etc.) It doesn't do to put light on the speakers themselves. Ceiling downlights called "wall washers" work best or a cheap solution is uplight cans set on the floor.

Very good info! Thanks for the reply. I think I will mess around with the uplight concept. The ceiling mount option is out for me in this room. I am concerned that I may not be able to get good results after looking at what you guys have posted. Right behind each of my speakers are two windows that are covered almost floor to ceiling with dark red drapes. I suppose I'll start with white LED lights projecting up on the curtains and see what it looks like.

BTW... JonFo - wicked set up.

Back