If you had to choose a NON planar speaker, what would it be?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No question in my mind....

If price were no object, I would seek out the Porzilli Pipedreams.

If they couldn't be found, I would get their latest "kin", the Scaena's.
I've never heard the Scaena's but they are Porzilli -designed and look very much like naked Pipedreams.

The Pipedreams are still the most "REAL" speaker/system I have ever heard. :bowdown: :band:

If I had to stay on a "beer budget" (like CLS priced), I would have to go with Dunlavy's or Vandersteens. :rocker:

Dali Megalines - ribbons are the only real contenders with electrostats. Just wait until Apogees are available again. Shouldn't be too long now :cool:

If cost is no object, then I'd want the Avantgarde TRIO Classico, with a pair of Aventgarde Basshorns. Man are these speakers weird-looking, and although I'v not heard this model, I have heard the DUO, and it is astounding.

If I had to be on a budget, Id probably go with a set of Klipsch Horns. We had a pair of those in the Music room at college (I think they were mid 1960's vintage), and they are really amazing too...

--Richard

Besides my CLS, I truely love horns. I had an opportunity to hear the Klipsch Jubilee and must say they are seriously a great speaker. They were the last speaker designed by Paul Klipsch. The big 402 horn is phenominal and does not have any hint of shout. It really opens up the music and gives it depth. The bass horn provides fast tight bass without being boomy. All in all an almost live experience. While $7000 is not cheap, they are attainable. So, if you ever get a chance to hear a pair, do yourself a favor and do. You won't be disappointed.

jubilee.jpg

Besides my CLS, I truely love horns. I had an opportunity to hear the Klipsch Jubilee and must say they are seriously a great speaker. They were the last speaker designed by Paul Klipsch. The big 402 horn is phenominal and does not have any hint of shout. It really opens up the music and gives it depth. The bass horn provides fast tight bass without being boomy. All in all an almost live experience. While $7000 is not cheap, they are attainable. So, if you ever get a chance to hear a pair, do yourself a favor and do. You won't be disappointed.

jubilee.jpg

WW,

I didn't know there was a Jubilee speaker by Klipsch. I thought his biggest/best horn was the Khorns. I learned something new again. It's probably not in production though, right?

Sheesh, too many great options.

On the more affordable side of things;

Aerial Acoustics
Totem Acoustics
Spendor "Classic" series
DeVore Fidelity
Legacy Audio
PMC (mid - upper tier offerings)
Vandersteen (mid - upper tier offerings)

On the more pricey side of things;

Tannoy (upper tier offerings)
Wilson Audio (as mentioned countless times here)
Sonus Faber (upper tier offerings)
Eventus Audio
Avantgarde
Legacy Audio
Kharma
Marten Design (on the right gear)

The list goes on. As much as I love panel's - it is very easy for one to be content with more traditional designs. Thankfully, there is plenty of great hi fi out there!

WW,

I didn't know there was a Jubilee speaker by Klipsch. I thought his biggest/best horn was the Khorns. I learned something new again. It's probably not in production though, right?
It has been in production since the early 90's. One of the best kept secrets at Klipsch. With Paul's death and subsequent takeover by a cousin, the Jubilee lost its major supporter. Paul was a music lover, the new president is a marketing bean counter. As to not hurt KHorn sales, which are huge overseas, the Jubilee was stashed in the commercial line and not promoted as a home speaker. Paul had actually intened the Jubilee to be the 50th anniversary edition of the KHorn, but once it was built it was a step up, so became the Jubilee.

Klipsche Horns

I like the BIG OLD KLIPSCHE HORNS...

They are ultra efficient which appeals to the environmentalist in me. And they ROCK hard! Just make sure you have a big room with free corners to put them in. I also like their horn loaded approach... classics!:music: :music:

I am also a fan of B&Ws and have several of their speakers in other systems in my house.

I would love a pair of the B&W Nautilus speakers that look like they came off the Alien set... Would be great down in the dungeon LOL... of course they are WAY cost prohibitive and require 6 amps per pair! OUCH!

The Gamut L-9's ($130k per pair) or the Avalon ISIS ($68k per pair). Like the Sentinels, but they won't work in my room. The good news is that I will at least get to live with both of these for about six months this year.

But very curious, saw that a bunch of you guys named Wilson as an alternative to your ML's. The Wilson stuff is about 180 degrees away from the ML sound. What is it that really turned your crank with the Wilsons that makes you interested?

Same thing ran through my mind....

I spent five years looking for a replacement for my ML Aerius. I considered a pair of Cremonas but I had heard them with a Jadis amp before I heard them with a Musical Fidelity amp which I had at the time. I couldn't listen to it with the MF, too smooth, no sparkle. Same results from other SF speakers. Eventually I ordered the Focal 1027BE Annivarsary Edition. I had those for eight months then thankfully I heard the brand new Summits and bought those. Ahhhhh ! Those that love electrostatics quickly become hooked on the speed and transparency, given excellent electronics. Most of the speakers mentioned in this thread don't do speed and transparency anywhere near a stat. Klipshorns and old JBL maybe. I have heard the Wilsons with Mark Levinsons and while I could appreciate their incredible accuracy and balance they still left me cold. The latest versions are said to be warmer...

My main set of stereo speakers are Bowers & Wilkins Preference 6 and they are simply amazing!

Other great dynamic speakers are:

Vandersteen 2C and 1C
Zingali Overture 4
Sonus Faber Cremona Monitor
Marantz LD20DMS (British Made and sounds absolute fab with QUAD mkII tube amps!!)

GD

Latest posts

Back