If not ML...what other speaker?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my speaker that took me about 1 year to complete. It uses a ribbon tweeter, Accuton Mid and Scan Speak woofer. Fully passive crossover and single amp, bi amp or tri amp capability.

Paint is next!

Looks good, how about a few more pics, discription of construction and how they sound. Maybe this can be moved to the DIY area and you can elaborate on them.

therefore if a 45k speaker sounds like crap (it didn't, that's somewhat overboard) it only makes sense that one needs to 'fiddle some more' !!

Regardless, I won't be buying a pair anytime soon.

I thought so. You couldn't give me a pair of Vandersteen 7s...

And I think showing $45k speakers that aren't done is just wasting everyone's time, most of all the consumer. They would have made a much better showing with a pair of well worn in 5's.

When you drop 45k on anything, there should be no excuses, sorry. I could see this kind of monkey business out of a new mfr. but not someone like Vandersteen who's been around the block more than most.

I also find it pretty funny that after all the years of him blathering about how people that spend that kind of money on speakers are idiots, he's got a 45K speaker. Did he think none of us remember those conversations?

It's like my pals at Naim always sniping about expensive power cords, and now that they have a $1000 power cord, all of a sudden power cords are important....

Ugh.

I received in the mail a current edition of Stereophile with a review of the Vandersteen Model Seven's yesterday. Fremer did the review, he also reviewed the Quatro's a few years back, and seemed to like them quite a bit. Just like any speaker, he did mention a couple of caveats, but this seemed to be mostly personal preferences not neccessarily deficiencies with its overall design. I need to go back and re-read the review though because I mostly did some speed reading and then looked over John Atkinson's measurements. Speaking of his measurements, he made a mistake while taking them (he points this out in his notes) but now you have to sort of interpolate between the lines what effect his mistake had on the overall measurements. Hopefully, he will get a second chance with them soon and do a reprint so we can see the results without the error. Oh well, I look forward to hearing them if I get the opportunity to see what Richard can do at this price point.

Glen

I bought a pair of Klipschorns last summer to bring some fun/tweakability back into the hobby for me. Driving them with a 6-watt homebrewed SET...couldn't do that with my Ascents.

Attachments

• KHorns sml.JPG
    KHorns sml.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 343
I built the Troel Gravesen TJL2W and use them in another room:music:....very clear/revealing speaker...would probably be a great monitor IMHO.

I really like the sound of the Dynaudio Confidence C2's. That would be the speaker of choice for me.

Having lived with the MBL 116's for some four months now, I am happy with the decision.

They disappear in my smallish room, are very revealing spatially, and quite musical. Absolutely no listening fatigue and they also excel at off axis listening, which is something most speakers can't do.

GG

PS: The problem these days is that there are a multitude of great speakers out there for people to choose from assuming proper set and the right gear. A nice problem to have.

Last edited:
I do admire Mr. Wilson's marketing acuity and there are many individuals, like you, who are dedicated followers. I assume you are also a Wilson dealer.

Having said that, I've always had a difficult time with the many versions of the WP and the subsequent price increases thereof. I assume there's a valid reason for it but when Wilson Audio released the WP8 and then came out with the Sasha less than a year afterwards (maybe it was six months) at a reduced price, the marketing philosophy became somewhat untenable, or at best, very difficult for the average person to comprehend. If I had been one who had purchased a WP8, then heard news of the Sasha, I would have been a bit upset to say the least.

I know that Steve (aka Slowgeezer) one of our senior members who was a previous ML'r, has the WP7 and seems to be quite happy with it.

In the end and as validated by the above posts, what matters is what's best for the individual that allows that person to emotionally connect with the music.

GG

Last edited:
I do admire Mr. Wilson's marketing acuity and there are many individuals, like you, who are dedicated followers. I assume you are also a Wilson dealer.

Having said that, I've always had a difficult time with the many versions of the WP and the subsequent price increases thereof. I assume there's a valid reason for it but when Wilson Audio released the WP8 and then came out with the Sasha less than a year afterwards (maybe it was six months) at a reduced price, the marketing philosophy became somewhat untenable, or at best, very difficult for the average person to comprehend. If I had been one who had purchased a WP8, then heard news of the Sasha, I would have been a bit upset to say the least.

I know that Steve (aka Slowgeezer) one of our senior members who was a previous ML'r, has the WP7 and seems to be quite happy with it.

In the end and as validated by the above posts, what matters is what's best for the individual that allows that person to emotionally connect with the music.

GG

Gordon, I've got the WP8, not the WP7, though I would be happy with that speaker, also. The main difference between the two is a matter of coherence(no perceived bands of sound divided by frequency, but coming from the same source); I believe it was improved somewhat with the WP8. That being said, with the proper room treatments, the WP7 can be made to sound very coherent. A friend of mine has the WP7's in a very well designed and acoustically treated room, powered by the Ayre MX R monoblocs and they sound better, to me, than any WP8s or Sashas that I've heard. Is it a better speaker than the WP8 or Sasha? I would say not, but it shows to me that room interaction and total system setup is even more important than the speaker. I would love to hear my WP8s, or Sashas, or your MBLs in his system! Like Dave, I agree 100% with your statement that what's best is what allows a person to emotionally connect with the music.

Just to clarify somewhat on your perception of Wiison's marketing, the WP7 was out in 2003 and the WP8 came out in 2006. The Sasha was released in 2009 and was a big design change.

I recently heard the new $12K Aeriel Acoustics Model 7 towers and was really impressed. They had a holographic soundstage and great full-range capabilities. Michael Kelly has ditched the metal dome tweeter and is now using the ScanSpeak ring radiator. If money was no object, I'd love to own a CLX/dual Descent combo...maybe Rockport Altairs or the TAD Reference Ones as well.

Steve,

Thanks for the clarification on the WP 7 / 8 release dates. For some reason, I was under the impression that the time period between the two models was quite a bit shorter.

Gordon

I traded in my Vantage for Revel Salon 2. I got a great deal on the Revel's a couple of months ago and love them. The Revel's seem better integrated across the spectrum and more sofisticated sound. I really liked Vantage but like the Salon 2 better.

Hola...just wanted to know if the U.S. retail price for the Revel Salon 2 is $ 22.000.00/pair. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Back