I saved $150K...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwrace

Reaction score
Yes, I sure did. I went to a new store today that has the McIntosh premier line. I heard the system that totaled ~$250,000. I have still decided that the full MBL system is where I will go next. I haven't heard anything to date that comes close in that price range. I've heard the MBL system in several locations (some good, some horrible) and they have always sounded awesome. This McIntosh system was in a "special" room designed by them and placed by them. It sounded good but just not for me...the MBL just does it though. Whew. Who knew that you can save money with this hobby?

I just hard the smaller starter MBL for the first time and was impressed to say the least. They were in a hotel room at a show and it was still good.

I heard them too. Not the most attractive looking speaker, but sounded good. I can't imagine what the top o the line jobbies could do....

~VDR

I heard them too. Not the most attractive looking speaker, but sounded good. I can't imagine what the top o the line jobbies could do....~VDR
I heard the all (the MBL's) set up at L&M in Phoenix (also a megaMac and full MartinLogan dealer) and I have to say the only MBL's that imaged well were the little ones. I was totally disappointed in the big MBL's. In fact the only speaker (that they had) that I liked (only slightly) better than the Summits were the Dali Megalines.

I like how skewed our reasoning is... :).

It's great to be able to justify a $100K purchase by stating that we're not compelled to pay $250K.

MBL 101 with supporting MBL electronics

Hi Jason,

I'm totally with you. I would do the same given the funds.

Regarding Neil's comments about the MBL 101 (imaging issues), I don't know what to say. Maybe he hasn't yet assimilated and understood the "attitude adjustment suggestions" that we (some gently, some not so gently) were trying to communicate regarding his most recent integrity attacks on Jeff D.

Slamming a product with a summary judgement, even though this product has consistently received accolades from reputable sources, is unfortunately, classic Neil. Oh well, some things never change.

I have heard the 101's in numerous iterations at various shows over the last decade (most recently at RMAF 07) and, even in "show" conditions / acoustics, they are astounding and provide a connectivity to the music that, IMHO, no other speaker that I've heard can replicate. This would include our venerable ML's, your Final Sounds, the Sound Labs, the Quads, etc., etc.

The only issue with the MBL's are their very difficult impedance load, which they have addressed with their very expensive amplifiers.

Gordon

Last edited:
Gordon,

Couldn't agree with you more....IMO the whole MBL system is the only way. :D

I have a new pair of MIT MA Magnum speaker cables coming. That should be interesting as well.

I have to agree with Gordon on this one. Not only were the mbl's some of the finest imaging loudspeakers I've ever heard period, but I was astounded at how well image localization was tangible and stable regardless of where I was in the room - this being the same setup that Gordon heard at RMAF-07, as well as at the same show in '06 and '05. That they could pull it off 3 concecutive years in very different rooms leads me to believe that though they are horrendously expensive, they are a very fine speaker (obviously when paired with appropriate electronics), certainly in the upper eschelon.

Neil, when you heard them could they have not been properly set up?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back