I have rediscovered my CLS speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wardsweb

Reaction score
I have owned my CLS for a very long time and have always loved them. My pursuit of getting the most out of them has had me roll many an amp through and to break out the tape measure on a few ocassions. Yes, as with most things in my life, I am obsessive.

Well after getting situated in the new house, I took the time to setup what had been my home theater. My wife and I watched a movie and I realized it just sounded better. It was spacious, detailed and dynamic. More so then I remember from the old house. So I popped a CD in and WOW ! It was like an epiphany. The music was live, the imaging almost scarry, it was so real. I thought I had the center channel on, but walked up to find it off. It was the CLS imaging like never before. I was giddy like a kid at Christmas.

Now I don't know if it can be attributed to any one thing. Most likely many things came together in the new house to allow the speakers to shine. The size of the room, the acoustics, the ac power and, I'm sure, the Ampzilla 2000 mono blocks. You see I didn't get to use them at the old house due to some really bad wiring and dirty power.

I absolutely love the Ampzilla 2000 amps. I've never had good bass from the CLS before. I thought it was just the design. That they just didn't do bass. Well that theory has been blown out of the water. I turned off the subs for 2-channel listening, as they were no longer needed. Now I'm not saying the CLS will dip down to sub territory, but I don't need that kind of movie car crash dynamic for music.

My "home theater" will now be doing 2-channel duty for sure. :banana:

That is always a bonus when your new house or room sounds way better than the old. I think the amps may have helped a bit but the single largest factor is the NEW room. May be it has better acoustics allowing the bass to load it better. I have CLS and do agree that there is good tight bass but it falls fast in the nether regions. That being said its there but needs help. Some rooms will emphasize the bass and work better with the CLS . I am glad its better for you ! How about some pics !

That's great news, Luthor. I know they didn't quite sound "up to snuff" at your last home, but I'm happy they are finally doing what they are supposed to! Isn't it about time for another meet at your place?:D

That is good to hear the new room and amps are working out so well.
It amazes me when your system sounds great and you think how much better could it sound. you change an amp or a cable and it sounds noticeably better.
Keep us up to date as you make changes.

Well I had the opposite - new house and the room sounds crap. Hope that makes you appreciate what you've got even more!

That's great news, Luthor. I know they didn't quite sound "up to snuff" at your last home, but I'm happy they are finally doing what they are supposed to! Isn't it about time for another meet at your place?:D

There will be an upcoming meeting of the Lone Star Bottleheads at my place in a couple months. The next one will be in Houston in a couple of weeks. But don't feel you have to wait for a meet. I'm glad to have you over anytime. Just shoot me an email or PM.

...snip...How about some pics !

There is one in under my system thread. I'll link it here.

HT042908.jpg

Stands ! ;)Get them out from the wall they will really shine. I should hopefully have my stands in a week they are at the powder coater!

Want even better bass and clearer midrange? add some good absoption (Mondo HF's) to the wall behind them, and as Chris says: Stands.

Want even better bass and clearer midrange? add some good absoption (Mondo HF's) to the wall behind them, and as Chris says: Stands.

I second this suggestion. Especially if you can't get them further out from the wall than that, you will be amazed at the quality difference in sound you will get from putting some good broadband absorption panels behind those speakers.

Are those Silver 9t's? They were my first love with ML's!!!

I would love to hear your comments regarding the differences you found when you upgraded to the Ampzilla. I actually went from the Silver 9t's to the Sunfire Siggy and then to the Sufire Siggy 2, but have been thinking about monoblocks again....

There is one in under my system thread. I'll link it here.

HT042908.jpg

Wardsweb, I fully understand your enthusiasm "re-discovering" your CLS's. I'm just now "Discovering" what the CLS is all about, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I've listened to more music in the past month than I probably had in the previous 2 combined. Lot's of late night listening (followed by sleepy afternoons at work the next day). Lot's of pulling out familiar pieces and totally hearing them almost as if for the first time. My wife has taken to calling me obsessed, but hey, at least I'm at home not out cattin' around with cheap hookers or sticking needles in my arm; but yeah, it's an addiction.

Hello, my name is Mitt and I have a problem...

I am very much enjoying just how revlatory the CLS's are. I think I'm in for the long haul.

...snip...
Hello, my name is Mitt and I have a problem...

I am very much enjoying just how revlatory the CLS's are. I think I'm in for the long haul.

I'm right there with ya buddy. I have rolled literally dozens of speakers through my place in the last decade. The CLS are the ONLY speakers to stay in my house from the first moment they arrived. For me, they just click. What is it the kids say these days? sic? These things are Sic bro!

Audio is an addiction with no cure. You can only feed it more gear.

Back