How'd it go, Dave?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todays visit to Overture was a really good day. I had a nice long conversation with Robert Harley....and we barely talked audio.....for he too is a biker, 2005 Honda Gold Wing. I still can't picture such a small man on that big of a motorcycle !

With respect to the debut of the Magico M-5, Terry had himself a full house but it was handled well with the reserved seatings for the demos. Magico's master Mr. Alon Wolf was a modest and well spoken individual in his own right.

With regards to the demo, it was conducted in "Terry's" room in the back. Electronics were 100% Spectral...monoblocks, pre and CDP. All cabling was of course...MIT. He had a brand spanking new Basis TT there but no cartridge...grrrrrr.

We listened to a variety of music ranging from Orchestral to Opera to Latin American and various other vocals both male and female. The M-5's are trully an aceivement in audio / musical reproduction. They have speed and accuracy to match what was ever so close to the 'Absolute Sound'. The ability to extend themselves in a superbly controlled manner at both ends of the freq table was also....superb. I will say though, that IMO, the Avalon Sentinels still bettered them with respect to soundstage. While very, very good I still have not heard a better front to back presentation than what those of us heard while @ Acoustic Sounds two years ago in Salina, Ks.

So....would I spend the 89k for a pair ?? Well since they are way beyond this fella's budget I can't really grasp that thought, but having spent considerably more time listening to the V-3 (27k) I am willing to bet that for the same money one could put together CLX's with a pair of Descent i's and probably blow the Magico's (V-3's) out of the water. I am also willing to wager that the same M/L set-up would perform very well against the M-5's !

So to sum it up while 'superb' as they are I was looking for even more of a WOW factor given their lofty msrp. Also of note was a gentlemen there that had bought a pair sight / audibly unseen and unheard ! He was your typical pot bellied , balding 50 year old with more money than brains ! He was also proudly proclaiming how he spends that much money on "wire" as well !

I don't think the CLX even needs the Descents to beat the V3. I heard them very close together in terms of time in London 2008. I also liked the CLX better than the MBL101E - but I can imagine some listeners not agreeing with me on that. The MBLs are excellent, but produce a markedly different sound. Factor in price, though, and the MBLs really don't compete in this man's mind/ears.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7164 for anyone interested who may have missed it.

BTW: glad you had a nice time. Oh - I once got on the back of a Honda 900 when I was 17, with an insane driver - I'll never forget just how fast it was - even back then! It was around the time 250 and 400cc Honda Superdreams were really popular - 1980 or so. He'd had both of those and just stepped up to the 900 - with a friend getting an even bigger Ducatti, which I also went on - but that guy was vaguely sane!:)

Ride safe...

Last edited:
Sounds like a good time, Dave and if my flight would have arrived an hour or two earlier, I would have made an effort to attend. I had a 2 hr layover in Laguardia and I didn't land in BWI until 12 or 1.

We should plan on meeting there again soon this summer!

If nothing else it would be nice to host a mini SE PA, MD/VA/DC get-together soon!!

Erik

If nothing else it would be nice to host a mini SE PA, MD/VA/DC get-together soon!!

Erik

Agreed Erik, FWIW, Terry did let me know that he would let me know soon relative plans for a "Logan" day. If and When that does come off it makes sense to do something in conjunction with that.

Regarding those Magico Ultimate's I have no clue as to msrp, I can only guess serious six figures.

Also of note was a gentlemen there that had bought a pair sight / audibly unseen and unheard ! He was your typical pot bellied , balding 50 year old with more money than brains ! He was also proudly proclaiming how he spends that much money on "wire" as well !
I've got the potbelly and the balding head going. Now if I could just get that more money than brains thing going I'd have my CLX already.:p

Also of note was a gentlemen there that had bought a pair sight / audibly unseen and unheard ! He was your typical pot bellied , balding 50 year old with more money than brains ! He was also proudly proclaiming how he spends that much money on "wire" as well !
I've got the potbelly and the balding head going. Now if I could just get that more money than brains thing going I'd have my CLX already.:p

x2 on that gregadd lol D.R.

Attachments

• Ult.jpg
    Ult.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 137
Back