Hi All, new member here!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mechnutt

Reaction score
Hi to all. I am a 2ch audio enthusiast and listen to Jazz, Blue's, Rock, Classical and Vocal music. I've been a member of the Audioreview forum and Audio Circles forum for a while now.

I joined this forum because I have a question about the ML Grotto i sub. I'm looking to add a sub to my Magnepan 1.6's for music only and I'm interested in the Grotto. My local dealer has been sold out and it may be a few weeks before he gets one in to audition. My question is how does it compare to the Abyss which can be found at huge discounts? I am also considering a few REL subs which sound awesome with the Maggies. I'm looking at the REL 305 and Britannia B3 as well as a used REL Stada III. I also like the Velodyne DD-10, especially since it comes with a remote control, equalizer and adjustable high gain servo.

I want a sub thats fast, musical and disappears. I want it to also to lend to the overall warmth as the REL subs did when I auditioned them with the 1.6's. I'm not a bass fanatic and my room is 17x17x9.5 feet. I'm going to be hooking up the sub to the speaker level inputs with the cross overs set to 40-50Hz and the Maggies run full range. I'm not looking for a 15" sub and prefer a smaller sub. I have an 8" velodyne sub that I use for HT use and it fills the room with plenty of smooth bass.

Any input about the Grotto would be much appreciated.

Thanks to all!
Larry

Last edited:
Hi Larry,

I have a depth sub that works fantastic. Sorry , no idea about the Grotto. May I suggest when you get a sub to put it centered in between yor maggies the same distance off the wall as your speakers.

Have you considered a used depth or depth i ??

I've considered the Depth but I want to keep my budget to about $1200. I found a Grotto i for $1100 and I'm looking at used RELs and Velodyne DD's.
I would love to have a Depth. The velos are nice because of the remote control and being servo controlled like the Grotto and its more expensive siblings.

Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think that no one wanted to talk audio around here. I'm used to the audioreview forum where some one always has something to say.

By the way Moon, very nice system you have there!

You may want to keep in mind that the experts recommend that you use two subs, not one. Do a search on subs.

Bernard, I would love to have a second 2ch sub, but that would mean 3 subs and my wife would kill me. 1 sub for my ht system and 2 for 2ch.

Welcome.....I can't speak on the Gotto but I employ a 'Velo' DD-15 in my setup and couldn't be happier. The onboard SMS Eq program is quite nice and works well.

I tried a REL Britannia B1 with the Vantage and could never get it to blend to my satisfaction. After I went with the JLAudio, I'm a happy camper!

Gordon

Twich54, you have a real nice set up. I love the Plinnius amp, I heard one set up with some Thiel 3.6's which are a wonderful speaker. You guys are all making me look bad with all your nice audio gear! I'm all about HiFi on a budget. Although I'm looking to upgrade to a hybrid tube amp soon and I may sell off my Van Alstine gear for his newer designs even though mine are 1 year old.

You guys are all making me look bad with all your nice audio gear! I'm all about HiFi on a budget.

no looking bad around here !, for we all share in each others joy !

I totally respect the budget approach and living within ones means, for IMO, only fool would ever finance these exspense depreciating toys !

Thanks for the compliment Larry. If you check www.audiogon.com you will find used depth's going for $8 to $850. This might be the better route. Just a thought.
Cheers, Greg

hi there . I use a rel stentor sub with my ascent i speakers , sounds fine .:rocker:

Larry, first, welcome to our little part of the internet. I really like the Maggies 1.6, a great speaker! I noticed that you already have a sub that you say fills the room. Does your home theater system use different gear? Is that why you don't use your current sub for music, or does it not do something correctly for two channel listening?

SGeezer, you are correct. I use an Adcom GFR 700 AVR for HT use and an old Velodyne CHT-8 sub for HT use. Its ok for HT and is fairly musical being an 8" but its ported and can't keep up with the Maggies.

I use the Maggies for both systems by using a Niles Audio amp switcher that can handle 600wpc continuous. Its not ideal but it works and I can't hear any audible degradation of sound.

I'm considering just going with an Abyss sub since they can be found new on close out for $600.

I listened to a Velodyne DD-12 that was improperly set up for 2ch. It was set up badly for HT and it sounded terrible and boomy. Placement was an issue as were the crossover settings. I will cross mine over at 40hz.

And Geezer-I GOT TUBES BABY! Check my sig below.

Last edited:
I'm considering just going with an Abyss sub since they can be found new on close out for $600.

Frys was just recently clearing out their Abyss inventory for $399. Make sure you look around it could save you quite a bit of cash.

What do you guys think about this Rythmik sub and its speed and musicality, build quality?

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12SE.html

I've been leaning to the ML Grotto i or the Abyss which can be had at a great price. and by the way for any of you California guys, the Abyss is being sold at Fry's (carry out only or else I would buy one) for $299 each.

Back