Help with surround speaker choice.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsToot

Reaction score
My system is listed as follows and I want to replace the rears with either the ML encore TF or the ML vignette... I'm considering the vignette due to the possiblity of getting a really good price on them.. being that they have been discontinued.

I was reviewing the specs for both speakers and noticed two major differences: The Low Frequency Transducer and the Ohms.

Vignette:
Two 4" (10.2cm) magnetically shielded high rigidity aluminum cones with extended throw drive assembly, non-resonance asymmetrical chamber format; bass reflex

Encore TF
Two 4" (10.2cm) high rigidity paper cones with extended throw drive assembly, non-resonance asymmetrical chamber format; bass reflex

First, Does the paper cones cause less sound quality or durability?

Secondly, considering my Onkyo TX-NR906 receiver, the Encore TF are 4 ohms versus Vignette being 6 ohms... Do you think the receiver will cause a better sound with one versus the other...

Lastly, If anyone owns the Onkyo 906 and wants to suggest any configuration settings that they feel have given them the best sound quality.. I'm all ears... I'm trying to get the best sound quality possible within reason.

Thanks for your help.. I'm looking forward to learning alot from this forum.

I can't comment on the encore, but I have vignettes as my surrounds and I am amazed at how well they do. They are able add a location to sounds that is really fun to hear. I had a polk system before moving to the system I have now and had the chance to watch / listen to the same content on each system. Spaceships from behind actually sounded like they came from center / behind and flew over your head (matching on-screen action). Before it sounded as if there where two ships on both sides just flying by. As for the Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon SACD, the sound effects and sounds of people running came from a location outside the speaker. A well done surround system will allow you to really get into the content.

In summary, I would recommend either ML speaker to round out your system. I think you will be happy either way.

UPDATE: I decided to go with the Vignettes as my surrounds. I had previously listened to the vignettes at Best Buy last year when I purchased my (C,L/R) speakers. I finally had an opportunity to listen to the encore speaker at Frys last weekend. I wasn't as impressed with the encore as I was with the vignettes.
I received them today.Horray! I'm excited about putting a finishing touch on my HT system. My 7.1 system now includes the following components:

MartinLogan Source (Front L/R)
MartinLogan Matinee (Center)
Velodyne DLS3750R 10 Inch subwoofer
Onkyo TX-NR906 receiver
Vignettes (Surr L/R, Surr Back L/R)
Sony KDL-52XBR2
Sony PS3

After 30 hours of break-in time required for my vignettes, I hoping to hear a well defined system.

@tsmooth and Hocky, Thanks for your input.

Back