new to ML with questions/choices

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidzey

Reaction score
hi all

upgraded my HT speakers today. loved the ML's i've heard. budget limited to entry range ML's at magnolia/bb; but it's still a huge step up for me. also first real audio purchase, so please be mindful of my naïveté.

purity was open box at 2100 for the pair today, i couldn't pass up (along with 0% 3yr) so that's fixed for my fronts... question is really about the rest of the room and wanted some advice/opinions.

room's about 18x18x8, and have onkyo 875. have a sectional against the rear and left wall (tried to keep the room a bit more functional this way). planning 7.1, maybe 7.2

brought home the purity's and 1 dynamo 500 and love em. the dynamo is good, not quite as crisp as i would want... i ordered the encore tf for center/surrounds; should be here later in the week as well as an additional dynamo 500.

so my questions are:

1. two dynamo 500's or one dynamo 700/1000? was thinking with two i could keep the setting/volume down lower to minimize distortion and keep a clearer sound... seems like the dyn500 are a newer model, but are they inferior to the ones they replaced?

2. matinee center over the encore? i had seen before, never heard. today i didnt see them and slipped my mind. mainly movies i've got set up so the voices and center channel quality is critical....

3. and really wondering opinions on the encores as surrounds? didnt find much info on them... size one advantage, as i could wall mount above the sectional in the rear...

4. what about using the preface as surrounds? the price difference isn't huge (~200 each). the corner behind the section has a gap to put a floor standing, but that would block most the sound. if i were to move the seating forward, how much would u recommend? or could i use preface for the sides and mount encores behind?

i honestly think i'm gonna be in the love with the total system however i choose to do it; it's all a great step up from the bose speakers i bought 12 years ago... but on the flip side, i'm not going to be upgrading for many many years so i want to optimize this as best as i can within a reasonable budget...

sorry to ramble and thanks in advance for the input.

Welcome Kid.......I'm not that much of a HT guy so I'll let the resident experts chime in with their advice.

With respect to your sub(s) thoughts, IMO, given you rather sq room (never the best scenario) I'd opt for the 2 sub route so as to possibly mitigate bass nulls, bumps, etc.

Thanks for the input. Got the matinee center, kept encore surrounds, and dynamo 700. If too weak or too many voids, will add another 700. Will post once all speakers mounted. Looking into bastraps as well.

It sounds incredible. Couldn't be happier. And even the wife agrees and approves, which is a huge plus.

Back