help with ML speaker selection

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are tons of great amps that will drive MLs nicely. This has been discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed.... you get the picture... ;)

Use the search, look in the recommended amplifiers section of the site and most importantly, use your ears to decide what sounds good to you.

Once you're on the site for awhile, you and I can discuss changing your name from newbie to something more fitting.... I'm saying this because once you get your Logans, you'll be here for a long time!!! :devil:

The MLC tractor beam has you in it's grasp!

Yes, I will change my name after a while.

I remember 15 years ago when I first heard these (Quests maybe?), what impressed me besides the clarity was the HEIGHT of the image. I loved that.

I just want this to be turnkey.

I need a speaker model recommendation, and preferably a great one for sale - used), and a link to an amp to buy so I don't have to fiddle around much and can just listen.

I tried reading everything, Summit, CLS, reQuest, etc etc.

Let's assume I can make the depth work now.

So which speaker: the Summits (maybe one of the pairs on ebay or audiogon, Spires, the CSL that needs its panel replaced (how hard is that?), etc?

And any good used amps to drive them?

getting excited!

i've paired a depth with my CLS and use it for HT apps. i don't use it for 2 channel as i find the CLS more than adequate. i've been tempted to try it with 2 channel CDs, but then i have a sit down and think "naaaah...."

my number one favourite amp to drive logans is the old Meitner/Museatex/Melior line. small efficient, musical..

as for the CLS currently on eBay, i don't know if the panels are in need of replacement, but it's easier to roll that into the initial purchase than find 900 clams later :)

Personally I would choose either a new pair of Spires or get a crackin' deal on a used pair of Summits... Once the Summit X comes out, there will be a lot more used Summits on the market.

Both of these models will not only give you world class sound, but they are easier to drive than the older ML models because they have built in amps to drive the woofers, and have higher WAF because they are not as huge as the older logans....

...and the build quality of the newer logans is better (IMHO) than the older ones... ie. no panel slippage to worry about since the panel is supported in an airframe.

Where in CA are u?

Yes, I will change my name after a while.

I need a speaker model recommendation, and preferably a great one for sale - used), and a link to an amp to buy so I don't have to fiddle around much and can just listen.

A member is selling the CLX. End the "desire to upgrade" pain forever!

Last edited by a moderator:
A member is selling the CLX. End the "desire to upgrade" pain forever!

yeah, i was looking at those again on audiogon earlier today. man, i sure don't understand why they haven't been snapped up. maybe if i had a friend in the Chicago area that could do an inspection.

but then my wife would be within her right to kill me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I would choose either a new pair of Spires or get a crackin' deal on a used pair of Summits... Once the Summit X comes out, there will be a lot more used Summits on the market.

But I'm wondering if we'll see the asking prices for used Summits rising when the Summit X hits the street.
I've noticed over the last couple of months as more and more used Summits have hit the market, the asking prices for Odysseys and Prodigys have come up a few hundred dollars from where they were last Summer.

Changing CLS panels is a breeze and as Zaphod has said it'll cost you just $900 plus shipping.
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=5533

I guess I am starting to think about the Summit's now... though that CLX deal looks nice. But from what I have read here, the CLX's would be too demanding to set up correctly, not to mention want more space.

the Summit's seem like the sub is nicely enough integrated, and I wouldn't want another one (but for ht?).

Sounds like the clx would be 2x the price or maybe more.

Ah decisions...

The new Summits I mentioned on eBay are still at $4500 but have one bid. If you could get these for under $6k you'd be doing very well. (You can get a used pair for that price pretty easily, but these are brand new.) These cost a fourth of the price of a pair of CLXs. I hope to get CLXs myself someday (w-a-y down the road, from the look of things!), but I will be quite happy with my Summits in the meantime. You could, of course, spend $2-3k more for a new pair of Spires, but I don't think you'd be getting any more for your money since the two speakers are so similar. (Well, you would be getting a warranty, but that's pretty expensive insurance.)

Let us know what you decide.

thank you everyone.

I am trying to find a pair of summit's to listen to.

I also listened today to the Wilson Sophia's and was quite impressed.

My budget won't be the limiting factor ...

... I listen to jazz, vocals, and quite a bit of classic rock.
My vote is for a used pair of Summits. All of the models you've discussed do a wonderful job with jazz and vocals, but the Summits are superb with classic rock.

If you're still only going to listen to 2-channel music, you wouldn't really require a subwoofer with the Summits, either.

As for an amp to drive them I really like the Sunfires, and you often pick these up for a decent price on AudiogoN.

Latest posts

Back