Help needed

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waynwass

Reaction score
I have
vantage fronts
motif center
grotto
Marantz 8002
Rotel amp
Recently I have been told that if I add baffles behind my vantages the sound will improve. they are currently about 2 feet away from the wall.
Any experiences with this?

I don't know about baffles (who told you that), but bringing them further into your room should improve the sound. Double it if you can.

Agreed, if you can go 5 feet off the back wall, that would be perfect.As it is now with just 2 feet, you simply haven't heard your speakers potential yet.

By baffles do you mean sound panels or absorbers? I've got a bunch of panels in my room. Check out my system post for panel pics.

Finding my way

Thanks for thoughts....the dealer suggested the sound barriers at the rear of the vantages...but what about the motif...I think that this is the weak sister in this trio....

the dealer suggested the sound barriers at the rear of the vantages.......

?????????????????

absorbers / diffusors I'm thinking is what they meant and it's all relative to the distance behind the speaker and the wall. General acceptance is the greater the distance one diffuses more than absorbs, but regardless the 'whole' room really needs to be taken into thought.

As mention before, 5-6 feet out would be ideal, as Tom and others said, search out his topic for it's been discussed with our resident acoustic experts many times before.

Oh yes......Welcome !

Welcome with a Quick Tip

Greetings and welcome to this great ML forum. I am a newbie as well and usethe ML Sequel IIs as my main fronts with Aragon 4004 MKIIs bi-amped to power them. Not knowing your room shape or dimensions, I have a quick tip for you to try.
As most of us know, parallel walls and audio can generate standing waves in the room that can cause resonance frequencies to interfere with the direct sound of the speakers. If you have an Iphone/Itouch, Blackberry, Windows Mobile or Android smartphone, there are a few apps you can download for free or for a small feel that will turn your smartphone into an audio spectrum realtime anayzer. This can prove to be a powerful tool in setting up your system and fine tuning your room. By generating test tones and white noise through your cd/dvd player, yu can measure direct to reflecting sound in Hertz/ sound pressure dB/ room decay to find out precisely what the sound from the speakers are doing in your room.
Using the internal mic on the smartphone, use the app to get the accoustical signature of the room. By using these measurements in the primary listening position and within a foot of the walls in various positions, you can get some very precise information to determine the type and location of acoustical treatment.
Frequency build up of below 250 Hz usually requires baffling, while build up above needs acoustical tile absorbtion. Also if your room seems dead and you listen to more classical music, then acoustical tile diffusers could be used to livin' up the room (increasing reverberation/decay time). For instance, having a decay time of 10 -20ms from 630Hz - 3KHz would be desired for classical and most classic/post modern jazz, but hated for rock n' roll / R&B rythms.
I hope I helped and gave you some good informtion.

P.S. I have been using this technique lately to tune front of house and stage monitor systems to great success on concert rigs!

Back