Hello from Waterloo, IL

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldMacGuy

Reaction score
Hello, everybody. I am new to the forum, but a longtime MartinLogan owner (reQuests from circa 2002 - 2007, Summits from 2007 - present). I am pleased to find this community and resource.

Welcome, so, are you fond of McDonalds or McIntosh ?

Welcome, so, are you fond of McDonalds or McIntosh ?

Thanks! I have been a satisfied McIntosh owner since 1970 or so, when I purchased a second-hand MA6100. I still use it (in a secondary system) today. Despite its age, it still functions pretty well.

I see you are an analog guy, too!

Mark

Gotta love that Aries 3! I am still using my original Aries. Runs like a champ!

Gotta love that Aries 3! I am still using my original Aries. Runs like a champ!

Yes Mark, I'm very satisfied but I'll tell you, if I were in the market for an analog setup today I'd buy the latest Technics 1200, install cartridge of choice and call it a day !

I totally understand. I am trying to talk my youngest son into following the same plan. With his two young children, demanding work schedule and active family life, he needs to simplify his life, and the newer, less expensive version of the Technics seems like the way to go.

I went in the other direction: a Denon DP-57L with a Grado ME-1 mono cartridge optimized for my mono LPs and 45s, and the VPI original Aries with a Dynavector DV-20XH installed on one arm and a Denon DL-301II on another, with a dedicated Denon HA-500 head amp. Since I am retired, I have a little more time to play with toys, and have not yet tired of the tweakiness required. But I always tend to gravitate to the hard way to do things! It is a major character flaw.

Mark

The newer version Technics 1200 is actually more expensive (4k msrp), but at it's price point it has few , if any, competitors. Every article I've read clearly states how well it performs beyond it's price point.

I'd be curious as what a realistic 'street price' is for it ?

The newer version Technics 1200 is actually more expensive (4k msrp), but at it's price point it has few , if any, competitors. Every article I've read clearly states how well it performs beyond it's price point.

I'd be curious as what a realistic 'street price' is for it ?

Hi, Dave,

You may be in luck. The newer version of the Technics SL-1200G is the SL-1200GR. I believe the GR version lists for $1,700, as opposed to the $4,000 for the 1200G model. The actual street price may be even a little bit better.

Mark

Mark,

I see that, apparently the newest version is aimed at a more realistic replacement of the original 1200. It does not have the 'guts' of the 4k model. Regardless I'm sure it's a fine piece.

Back