Hello From Columbus Ohio, What amp to use?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just purchased a pair of ML Source at a local auction. Was looking for some guidance with regards to the best amplification to use for these. Price should be in line with the cost of the speakers. Looking forward to some "sound" advice from you experienced ML users. Happy Holidays.

Dave , welcome ! Congrats on the new purchase !

AS far as 'best amplification' you have many options........tube, SS, hybrid....new , used.

Give us a few more tidbits of info...listening prefrences, existing components (upstream), $$ budget, etc

Thanks for the reply. These will be installed in a 15' wide by 20' long room. Primarily I will use these for vocal, acoustic, light classical music since I believe this is where the strength of these speakers lie. I have other speakers available for rock music and the like. I have a Cambridge 640C CD player and Squeezebox Duet as my primary digital sources. I have a number of amplifiers or receivers available including NAD, Adcom, Arcam, Outlaw, Parasound, Denon, Hafler and a Dynaco ST70 tube amp. I was hoping somebody on the forum could provide me some ideas to reduce my experimentation time. I still have to worry about placement and room treatments etc. I like the idea of a $1000 - $2000 integrated which I don't currently have. I am looking for electronics that complement ML speakers well.

I appreciate those who take time to moderate these forums. They wouldn't exist if it wasn't for folks like you.

Didn't see the thread "Recommended Equipment - Amplifiers" until moments ago. This helps. Sounds like ML speakers like tubes. I'll start looking at some of the recommendations or maybe a hybrid to get the best of both worlds. Cheers.

Primarily I will use these for vocal, acoustic, light classical music since I believe this is where the strength of these speakers lie. I have other speakers available for rock music and the like.
Maybe I misunderstand, but music selection should be based on what you like, not what the speaker likes. Find one speaker that serves all genres that you like well. You will be much happier in the long run.

Sounds like ML speakers like tubes. .

Dave, myself along with others here are in that camp for sure........now with that being said I also like 'properly done' SS, I use both......it's a mood thing !

My suggestion would be to listen yourself (this goes without saying !) and even look through the various member systems here and see if any given set-up intrests you, PM that individual for further discussion, etc.

Thanks for your reply Brian and Twich.

I own several pairs of speakers and I enjoy listening to most genres of music. I really enjoy listening to vocal and acoustic music on the Source. They play this type of music so well. On the other hand, if I want to fire up some good old rock and roll and play it loud, I lean toward a more traditional loudspeaker. The Source just doesn't provide the bottom end and SPL I look for at times.

Regarding trying different amplifiers to see what I like best is a bit of a challenge. There was a time where hifi shops would allow you to take an item home and give it a try. High end shops are becoming less available where I live and the ones close to home don't necessarily have the products I'm interested in. Audiogon is nice. You can buy an item second hand and if it doesn't work out, it can be resold without getting hurt too bad.

Hence the original question for those who have done some experimentation with different combinations of electronics and ML speakers.

I'm in Ohio too!

Dave,

Welcome to the ML family. I live in Blacklick, Ohio. What city are you in?
I am VERY seriously considering purchasing 2 of the Emotiva XPA-1's. They have a link at the top of your page if you want to check them out. They just became a sponsor for this site. I have been reading about them and they seem like a great value. You can get 2 mono 1000 watt amps for $1600 until the end of the year. Anyway, if I get them, you are welcome to stop by for a listen.
My set up is the Ascent i's, Theater i, Clarities, and Descent (5.1). Be sure to let us know what you choose and how you rate the amplifier!

Dominick

Back