Hafler Amps/Denon amps/room acoustis

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloo24

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently found Martin Logan Stylos speakers on craigslist for dirt cheap. I went through the process of showers the panels and I bought a used pioneer elite vsx07tx amp. My friend let me borrow a Hafler DH110 and DH200 pre/poweramp setup and I was blown away at how the music seemed to dance in front of me. After I heard that set up I had to move to school so I went from my speakers pointing at a normal drywall based wall to a concrete wall. I then purchased a denon 4306 which I was told was an amazing sounding unit. The problem is that the Denon does not make the music float in front of me like the hafler.

My question is this: Is my new concrete room to blame for the lack of "dancing" music or is it the quality of the amp. I cant really test it out to well because moving the speakers back and forth from school is a large pain.

Thanks in advance!

Hafler's are really good. Refurbished ones are available on line.

I had mine refurbished after about 20 years when one of my solder joints went bad.

However that concrete wall may well be causing you issues. Can you drape it?

Hafler's are really good. Refurbished ones are available on line.

I had mine refurbished after about 20 years when one of my solder joints went bad.

However that concrete wall may well be causing you issues. Can you drape it?

I tried to put a blanket up behind me but it did not really make that much of a difference. I guess i may just have to wait until I get to move to a new listening area.

Hi cloo.

First off, welcome to the ML site.

I haven't heard the Hafler pair for a long time. I did own the amp many years ago. Suffice to say that the electronics may be a bit dated and I would think the Denon AVR should perform in an equal, if not better manner than the Haflers, given the newer technology. Yes I do like Denon. Not the most transparent gear around but certainly smooth with a balanced midrange.

My sense is that your current room and your inability to put the speakers where they are allowed to breathe a bit, is likely the problem. Of course, there are other factors that will influence sound quality.

Set up of any ML is critical to optimizing performance.

Good luck.

GG

Back