gimmee some lovin'

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donberry

Reaction score
not that it makes any difference, but is it just me or does it seem like ML speakers don't get a whole lot of love in the esl/planar crowd ? Just seems like they are an after thought to many. Of course if you come to this forum they get the lovin they deserve, but elsewhere they just don't seem to.
Would it be because Best Buy sells them ?
Maybe because many are comparing the "entry" level ML to say something like the magnepan mg3.6 or way more expensive quad speakers ?
Just curious and it honestly makes no difference to me. I could be biased but is just a feeling I get in other forums.

I think we get plenty of love but if you're drawing a comparison with Maggie they do have what might be 'the' value leader in planar speakers, the 1.7 and when it's matched with a competent sub it's a great package regardless of price. In so far as M/L, yeah once Gayle left and the ownership changes came along that may have had an impact..........but as far as the love for me....it's still there.

I don't spend a lot of time on other forums, so I couldn't say. But I do know that there are a lot of great planar and esl speakers out there, so the competition is stiff. And every brand has its adherents. Also, I would agree about the best buy thing. I don't think ML has helped their high end reputation any by focusing so much on the low-fi end and the home theater crowd. They have widened the appeal perhaps, but cheapened the perception of the brand. I have been saying this for a long time now. Usually, I get told to just shut up about it because they have to do this to survive in the current economy. I don't buy that for a second. I think it is just the sales and marketing strategy they have chosen to pursue.

To hijack this thread - I have a problem with thread titles like this one - "gimmee some lovin'" is completely non-descriptive.

If it's not a lot of work I think that the mods should go in and edit titles like this one so that they are representative of the content within the thread.

I've sold hundreds of of high-end speakers over the decades, and thousands of mid-fi and entry-level speakers and systems. One basic fact of human nature is the tendency of everyone to adopt an attitude of superiority about their possessions, in various ways to let others know about their feelings. Look at all the bumper stickers proclaiming the "superiority" of their honor student kids, sports teams, car brands, etc.

This forum is dedicated to enthusiasts of the brand. We all are proud owners, and we made the selections we purchased after considering other competitive brands at the prices we could afford. Think of us as Porsche owners. For the dollar spent, we are arguably proud of our choice, and tend to feel a bit superior to other drivers, unless of course we get passed by a Ferrari or other brand which costs triple the amount we paid.

Are MartinLogans the absolute finest speakers in the world? Nope. But like a Porsche, they give amazing experiences for the money invested, are sturdy and low-maintenance, and will make you a better listener in the same way owning a Porsche will make you a better driver.

To hijack this thread - I have a problem with thread titles like this one - "gimmee some lovin'" is completely non-descriptive.

If it's not a lot of work I think that the mods should go in and edit titles like this one so that they are representative of the content within the thread.

yeah, i was expecting a good discussion of the Spencer Davis classic. but it would be hard to beat the Blues Brothers cover.

yeah, i was expecting a good discussion of the Spencer Davis classic. but it would be hard to beat the Blues Brothers cover.

Too funny!! Either or would have been good but I have to agree, The Blues Brothers cover is one of the best!!

Gordon

I've sold hundreds of of high-end speakers over the decades, and thousands of mid-fi and entry-level speakers and systems. One basic fact of human nature is the tendency of everyone to adopt an attitude of superiority about their possessions, in various ways to let others know about their feelings. Look at all the bumper stickers proclaiming the "superiority" of their honor student kids, sports teams, car brands, etc.

I agree, I personally dont think that ML should be knocked because they sell certain models in Best Buy. Has B&W or Vienna Acoustics faltered due to the "Best Buy effect?" I would hope not. All of the brands inside Magnolia are still great and will continue to be great, but I think its due to the elitism most people get when they get into any hobby. Not just audio but it happens with cars, or really anything. Elitism I think is the main culprit.

@zaphod, good one! I thought the Blues Bros did an excellent job.

ot, I hang out on lot's of forums, and many folks praise the ML's they've heard, and ask lot's of questions about mine. So I'd say the love is still out there for ML's.

I don't spend a lot of time on other forums, but I know that quite often at audio related events, stores, or talking to people who are interested, many people think highly of ML stuff. Occassionally, of course, you get the arguments about beaming, limited dynamics, and inability to play loudly. lol

I don't spend a lot of time on other forums, but I know that quite often at audio related events, stores, or talking to people who are interested, many people think highly of ML stuff. Occassionally, of course, you get the arguments about beaming, limited dynamics, and inability to play loudly. lol

I find that people with these notions are often ignorant to the strides that ML has made to decimate those old arguments. Sure maybe those "problems" still exist with some speakers, but it isn't a blanket problem for all models or companies.

I think you hit it on the head. Selling them in Best Buy and Frys devalues the brand. The entry level speakers sold in those big box stores look exactly like the higher end "Reserve" series to most people. So owners of Summits, for example, have people visit and say "hey, I saw a pair of those at Frys the other day! They were having a sale on them for $999!"

I'm sure that Martin Logan marketing knows this, but they've made the conscious decision that additional revenue derived from higher volume sales in big box stores outweighs the effect of any brand devaluation in the minds of the hard core audio enthusiasts. And that is very likely the most sensible business decision.

Would it be because Best Buy sells them ?

Last edited:
Jus my 2 cents here, I have owned many Stats over the years (not gonna bother to mention) but ML seems to be up on the refinements alot more than others regrardlees of big bucks & size. I am not a ML owner yet..............

Back