Front Projector ~ "Preal" Is Amazing...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am that fool. You need to see the new JVC RS1 before making comments about digital not standing up to CRT. 15,000:1 native contrast ratio with no dynamic iris, inky CRT like blacks.
It may surprise you that I agree with you. There have been incredible strides made with digital projectors over the last few year. Even the inimitable William Phelps, who is probably the world's expert on G90s and can do things with them you wouldn't believe (he calibrated our system), has now moved away from CRTs. He claims the digital projectors he now works with give as good or better performance than the G90. Its hard to argue with someone with those qualifications. Heck, if I was getting a projector today, I'd probably go with a high-end digital.

With that said, I'm still completely satisfied with my G90 setup. Overall, I prefer the picture I get with it over digital, and I'm sure I'll stay with it for a few more years. There is no denying, though, that the incremental difference between the two is very small these days (regardless which one you say is now on top ;) ).

Just did a quick search. I found a Panasonic PT-AE1000U for $3,001

I am sure thats from one of those shady, fell off the back of a pickup truck, unauthorized dealer discount shops. If you look at my post again, I did say MSRP, Manufacture suggested retail price. Ebay, Audiogon, and unauthorized dealers will always get you a better price then an authorized dealer but you take a risk that product will be new and fully functioning.

I am sure thats from one of those shady, fell off the back of a pickup truck, unauthorized dealer discount shops. If you look at my post again, I did say MSRP, Manufacture suggested retail price. Ebay, Audiogon, and unauthorized dealers will always get you a better price then an authorized dealer but you take a risk that product will be new and fully functioning.

Does sound very low but Costco had them last week for $3700 and a rebate

I think of $300 or $400 so not far off.

Does sound very low but Costco had them last week for $3700 and a rebate

I think of $300 or $400 so not far off.

Lets not forget that the reason that Martin Logan.com has that disclaimer about unauthorized dealers and no warranty is because of Coastco. But I know, I know, nobody cares about a manufactures warrantee because Coastco's is so good.

With that said, I'm still completely satisfied with my G90 setup. Overall, I prefer the picture I get with it over digital, and I'm sure I'll stay with it for a few more years. There is no denying, though, that the incremental difference between the two is very small these days (regardless which one you say is now on top ;) ).

kcl, same here. I'll run my G70 for a few more years.

I'm really waiting for discrete iluminator digitals (LED or Laser driver) to arrive. No bulbs for me.

I figure a two years and those will be ready.

But in spite of my being a CRT hound, I recommended ScottG's Pearl. I knew it would rock his boat ;)

But in spite of my being a CRT hound, I recommended ScottG's Pearl. I knew it would rock his boat ;)

Yea, if you are not getting a CRT projector, then the Pearl is THE WAY TO GO! Best bang for the buck for sure!

kcl, same here. I'll run my G70 for a few more years.

I'm really waiting for discrete iluminator digitals (LED or Laser driver) to arrive. No bulbs for me.

I figure a two years and those will be ready.

The pearl is an awesome projector, but there are better quality 1080p projectors out there but nothing in the pearls price range. Price to performance the pearl is king, after it you get into diminishing returns.

I am also very interested in laser technology projectors, should be interesting.

Last edited:
The pearl is an awesome projector, but there are better quality 1080p projectors out there but nothing in the pearls price range. Price to performance the pearl is king, after it you get into diminishing returns.

Some Runco and Sim2 stuff might be a bit better, but it will cost 2X to 5X more!

Last edited:
I Took The HD-DVD Plunge...

:banghead:Well, I could take it anymore... :cheers: So, I purchased the Toshiba HD-A2 player, and a dozen HD-DVD titles. :D

My son and I set-up the player and watched, "Batman Begins". Even in 1080i this film was just stunningly beautiful, clear and razor sharp on my Pioneer Plasma 43" HDTV monitor. Look for my recommendation coming soon...

I am glad I finally took the plunge, as I got an open box deal at 'Best Buy'. Now I'm hooked on HD-DVD, I already have this incredible urge to replace, re-purchase, yet again some of my favorite films I already own on DVD, with new HD-DVD discs. I must resist even if resistance is futile... :D

I wonder what HD-DVD's would look like on a Sony Pearl... I'll bet glorious as I am sure Scott would agree.

The nice thing about the G90 is that it not only is one of the top two CRT projectors in the world (many say the best), it is rock-solid once calibrated. After I had a professional 'dial in' my G90 back in 2003, I only needed it 'tuned up' once in late 2005.

This points out one of the things I really like about high-end equipment, by the way. It doesn't take a lot to keep speakers like the Ascent or a projector like the G90 running at their incredible performance levels.
Not to mention 10,000+ hours of tube life if taken care of from the get-go vs. 2,000-3,000 hours at best with a degrading quality image as the bulbs age. CRT's can also be repaired, where as almost all other digital PJ's are throw away items if problems arise-- a big $5K -$10K gulp if you happen to be the one who has the problems.

At $5K to $7K for the top of the line 9" CRT's (G90, Marquee 9500, etc.), there still is nothing on the market that can produce the "looking out of a window" effect. 30,000 to 1 contrast, rock solid performance for 1,000's of hours, breath-taking film like images, to-die-for blacks.....I'm still hanging on to the CRT a while longer and waiting/looking for a digital to match the overall CRT performance and longevity.

Last edited:
Not to mention 10,000+ hours of tube life if taken care of from the get-go vs. 2,000-3,000 hours at best with a degrading quality image as the bulbs age. CRT's can also be repaired, where as almost all other digital PJ's are throw away items if problems arise-- a big $5K -$10K gulp if you happen to be the one who has the problems.

At $5K to $7K for the top of the line 9" CRT's (G90, Marquee 9500, etc.), there still is nothing on the market that can produce the "looking out of a window" effect. 30,000 to 1 contrast, rock solid performance for 1,000's of hours, breath-taking film like images, to-die-for blacks.....I'm still hanging on to the CRT a while longer and waiting/looking for a digital to match the overall CRT performance and longevity.

Are Runcos CRT?

Why do people hate on CRTs? Because they're so damned big?

I can attest to the "disposable" nature of digital projectors. I had a DLP InFocus 4805 that blew out a color wheel. If it hadn't been under warranty it would have been totalled. The color wheel mechanism essentially costs what a new unit does. EEP!

Runco CRT's

Why folks hate on CRT's? I think the complexity of set-up, size and mammoth weight (200 lbs+), and complex technology originally scared consumers away. To CRT owners, it's the hobby and the challenge, with a lot of rewards when they dial in and throw world-class images. Part of it, too, is that they were just so very expensive for so many years and they were never designed to be a consumer product. CRT's in the HT market have really only come in vogue over the last 7+ years when prices plummeted. They fell, though, certainly not for the reason of poor value or quality.

The Sony G70 I now own sold for $25,000+ as late as 2000, with all the cards, bells and whistles, and superman shipping case/crate. A G90 was a staggering $45,000+. I bought mine in late 2004 for $3,350 from a Ritz Carlton in FL who tried to use it as a mobile PJ (big mistake), threw up their hands, and dumped it with only 178 hours on it! An incredible piece of technology and performance for a pittance, but again, that kind of craziness created an almost "too good to be true" panic for those who really didn't understand the true value of the product. I think that kind of mania early on with consumers has also added to the confusion/mystique when corporations and business fled from CRT's to digitals for the sheer simplicity of setup and use. Image was no where close, but it didn't matter to most conference and board rooms where the small, mobile digital PJ's were really their savior in setup. Corporate losses were the HT enthusiasts gain!!

As far as Runco.....from Curt Palme's CRT site on Runco CRT's:

Runco is not a CRT projector manufacturer in the truest sense; Runco takes CRT projectors from Zenith, NEC and Barco, in some cases makes modifications, paints them black, and re-labels them.

Zenith, NEC, and Barcos are CRT's that are really not in the highest demand. You can read all about Runco models and specifications Here

They do manufacturer good scalers and miscellaneous related equipment, although they seem to always be priced on the high side, IMO.

Last edited:
Great post about the CRT front projectors. They are AWESOME when set up properly and well maintained. Nothing really can come close to them even now! I have a good friend that did an HT a few years back and got a fully refurbed unit for like $7k and he said they are now in the $5k range I think and it has a GREAT PQ! It is HUGE and does need cleaning and focusing from time to time, but DANG is it a nice pic!

Back