Front Projector ~ "Preal" Is Amazing...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holy crap, Xenon lamp? :eek:

That's amazing, no wonder it's so expensive.

I hooked up a buddy's Panasonic 50" plasma today and I gotta say that it's a damn fine display device. Coming from an InFocus 4805, this plasma looked damned good all washed out because they have no real window treatments to speak of.

So, I stopped by my local Best Buy to look at it (that's where he bought it) and was kindly shown Sony's 55" SXRD rear projection for the same price ($2400).

Is this TV using the same SXRD panels as the projector?

I'm really tempted by the 1080p possibilities with the Grand WEGA SXRD but I like that my projector takes up no room on my already narrow floor. I can get a 720p projector for less than that plasma so I may just go that route instead of the plasma but that SXRD set gives me pause!

I just finally made a decision on audio and here I am back looking at video again! *sobs*

Holy crap, Xenon lamp? :eek:

That's amazing, no wonder it's so expensive.

I hooked up a buddy's Panasonic 50" plasma today and I gotta say that it's a damn fine display device. Coming from an InFocus 4805, this plasma looked damned good all washed out because they have no real window treatments to speak of.

So, I stopped by my local Best Buy to look at it (that's where he bought it) and was kindly shown Sony's 55" SXRD rear projection for the same price ($2400).

Is this TV using the same SXRD panels as the projector?

I'm really tempted by the 1080p possibilities with the Grand WEGA SXRD but I like that my projector takes up no room on my already narrow floor. I can get a 720p projector for less than that plasma so I may just go that route instead of the plasma but that SXRD set gives me pause!

I just finally made a decision on audio and here I am back looking at video again! *sobs*
The Qualia 004 front projector, Qualia 006 70” Rear projection, VW100 “Ruby”, and now “Diamond” all use a Xenon lamps.

The VW50 Pearl uses a UHP lamp, which is a big reason for the price difference from the Ruby to Pearl.

As far as I am aware of the Ruby, Pearl and all current rear projection SXRD TV’s share the same SXRD panels. With the exception of the Qualia 006 rear projection TV all rear projection SXRD TV’s use a UHP lamp like the pearl.

The Qualia 004 front projector, Qualia 006 70” Rear projection, VW100 “Ruby”, and now “Diamond” all use a Xenon lamps.

The VW50 Pearl uses a UHP lamp, which is a big reason for the price difference from the Ruby to Pearl.

As far as I am aware of the Ruby, Pearl and all current rear projection SXRD TV’s share the same SXRD panels. With the exception of the Qualia 006 rear projection TV all rear projection SXRD TV’s use a UHP lamp like the pearl.

That Qualia is $13k so that makes sense that it would use the Xenon lamp. Considering it came out at $30k in '05, that's a hell of a price drop.

:D Screen Innovations web-site is great check it out:

http://www.screeninnovations.com/

Remeber too the Xenon blub used in the Ruby and Qualia costs $999.00 (new)...

Definitely something to take under consideration, the Xenon lamps put out a very natural white light and natural color spectrum, but the trade off is they consume lots of power (Ruby 400 Watts, Q004 900Watts) they produce a lot of heat, dim faster than a traditional UHP lamp and like Robin said are expensive to replace.

The Ruby has a 400-Watt Xenon lamp and the Pearl a 250-watt UHP lamp. The ruby my have a higher power lamp but the Pearl’s UHP is brighter then the higher power Xenon.

Xenon 400-Watt Lamp System...

Definitely something to take under consideration, the Xenon lamps put out a very natural white light and natural color spectrum, but the trade off is they consume lots of power (Ruby 400 Watts, Q004 900Watts) they produce a lot of heat, dim faster than a traditional UHP lamp and like Robin said are expensive to replace.

The Ruby has a 400-Watt Xenon lamp and the Pearl a 250-watt UHP lamp. The ruby my have a higher power lamp but the Pearl’s UHP is brighter then the higher power Xenon.
Joe,

I just looked up how long the Xenon 400-Watt lamp lasts, it's rated to last 3,000 hours max., difinitely something to keep in mind as well... ;)

"The Qualia"

The Qualia ~ looks so impressive... ;) I just like the lines of this front screen projector. :eek: Had desent reviews as well:

http://ultimateavmag.com/videoprojectors/504sony/

Very impressive, though not as interesting or as impressive as JVC-RS1...

Attachments

• Sony Qualia.jpg
    Sony Qualia.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 142
Joe,

I just looked up how long the Xenon 400-Watt lamp lasts, it's rated to last 3,000 hours max., difinitely something to keep in mind as well... ;)

The next phase, and there are prototypes, is color-laser-based DLP. Extreme (comparative) "bulb" life, no color wheels, and very high contrast.

Joeyitis? Lol

I upgrade my system more then Joey does, I just don’t advertise it as much. (No offence to you Joey) I will keep upgrading my system till I feel it’s done and is as good as it gets. Till then BRING ON THE JVC!

LOL!

Apparently, we got it all wrong with the term Joeyitis.... it should be Joeitis!

Good job on the projector choice, Joe! My friend just got one, I recommended the Preal but he laughed and asked if I was high.

Joey :D

LOL!

Apparently, we got it all wrong with the term Joeyitis.... it should be Joeitis!
Ha! Ya' right.

Good job on the projector choice, Joe! My friend just got one, I recommended the Preal but he laughed and asked if I was high.

Joey :D

I would buy the Peral over the HS51 any day of the week. All thou... I did just see the HS51A at bestbuy for $1095.00 on clearance, that's a great vaule.

Last edited:
I would buy the Peral over the HS51 any day of the week. All thou... I did just see the HS51A at bestbuy for $1095.00 on clearance, that's a great vaule.

I think the "high" comment was directed towards the price delta between the two... lol. :)

What's with everyone mis-spelling "Pearl"?

It's been spelled:

Preal
Peral
Pearl

I keep thinking I'm mistaken and it really is the Sony Ruby and Sony Preal!

:confused:

Well Lookie Who Was At The CES 2007 Las Vegas Show...

:D The afore mentioned JVC front projector. scheduled to be released in March 2007 at a price of $6300.00 (USD), with the touted 15000:1 contrast ratio, if you please... ;)

Attachments

• JVC-DLA-HD1_270x114.jpg
    JVC-DLA-HD1_270x114.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 94
^^^^:drool: :drool: :drool:^^^^

SSSSHHHHHHHH…

Robin,

Don’t tell anybody, it will be our little secret Robin, but Sony is rumored to show their 4th generation SXRD panel at CEDIA’07 this September. Rumor has it 15 – 20,000:1 native contrast and around 40,000:1 with dynamic iris. ;)

My "Pearl" arrived today :D ... Of course the pipe extender is delayed because of the ice storm... It arrived tonight at UPS in austin... should be home delivered tomorrow...
:rocker:

Tomorrow night... it's go time

Of course my Toshiba XA2 arrives on Tuesday... so no 1080p until then...:(

I'll post impressions/pictures sometime this weekend.

^^

Scott, cool. Hope the extender makes it in on time.

That delivery on the XA2 is pretty quick. Many have been waiting for that thing for a long time.

Can't wait to hear how it all looks once you feed it HD content.

^^

Scott, cool. Hope the extender makes it in on time.

That delivery on the XA2 is pretty quick. Many have been waiting for that thing for a long time.

Can't wait to hear how it all looks once you feed it HD content.

Pearl is looking AWESOME... :rocker: even the wife is impressed... I'll Post pictures after I clean up the room a bit

Back