Front Projector ~ "Preal" Is Amazing...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome ~ Pearl...

Pearl is looking AWESOME... even the wife is impressed... I'll Post pictures after I clean up the room a bit
Scott,

Fantastic!

Please, Photos Please.... How exciting!!! :D You'll have to tell us all about it... We want to see as well... :D

Scott,

Fantastic!

Please, Photos Please.... How exciting!!! :D You'll have to tell us all about it... We want to see as well... :D

I know, I know... but the black ceilings and black carpet is proving difficult to get a quality photo... I could use some of Dave's (trippinbillies40 ) photography skills...

^^^^:drool: :drool: :drool:^^^^

SSSSHHHHHHHH…

Robin,

Don’t tell anybody, it will be our little secret Robin, but Sony is rumored to show their 4th generation SXRD panel at CEDIA’07 this September. Rumor has it 15 – 20,000:1 native contrast and around 40,000:1 with dynamic iris. ;)

Be careful....advertised contrast ratios are usually very different from ratios determined by measurement in a properly set up viewing enviroment....

2:45 am... watched 2 movies... I never claimed I was bright :duh:

LOL! What did you watch?! Looks like tomorrow will be a good day to watch a few movies too...more rain! We get good weather on Sunday so we can all wash our amazingly dirty cars! YUCK!

I was up in Dallas for a meeting all week so I missed ALL the fun!

OK... I connected up my Toshiba XA2 HD DVD last night... and the wife and I watched the HD DVD version of Batman Returns... (we just watched the DVD version of this moive 2 weeks ago as a baseline)

HOLY SMOKES!!!! The Pearl and the Toshiba XA2 combo delivered PURE EYE CANDY... my expectations were high... and they just blew it away... now... put a great audio transfer and the Summits/Stage combo and you can imagine what we experienced... HT nirvana :meditate:

We also have Serenity in HD and will try that out tonight...

James, I wish I could build an elevator my friend just so I can share the room w/ ya...

OK... now I need to go through my DVD collection and spend some more money...

My biggest concern is TIME... I have soooo many CD titles and movie titles that I must hear/see STAT :D

James, I wish I could build an elevator my friend just so I can share the room w/ ya...

I appreciate the thought my friend! One of these years I will have my own super theater and you will have to come over HERE to enjoy it!

Thanks again for thinking about me!

Brilliant!

OK... I connected up my Toshiba XA2 HD DVD last night... and the wife and I watched the HD DVD version of Batman Returns... (we just watched the DVD version of this moive 2 weeks ago as a baseline)

HOLY SMOKES!!!! The Pearl and the Toshiba XA2 combo delivered PURE EYE CANDY... my expectations were high... and they just blew it away... now... put a great audio transfer and the Summits/Stage combo and you can imagine what we experienced... HT nirvana

We also have Serenity in HD and will try that out tonight...

OK... now I need to go through my DVD collection and spend some more money...

My biggest concern is TIME... I have soooo many CD titles and movie titles that I must hear/see STAT
Scott,

Now I want the Pearl and the Toshiba XA2 combo... :drool: Thank you for the review. Well, I now know it is possible to have a beautiful HD front screen delivery via HD-DVD... :D

Do you and your wife see a big difference visually from 1080i to 1080p with your Pearl?:confused:

Scott,
Do you and your wife see a big difference visually from 1080i to 1080p with your Pearl?:confused:

OK... PURE NOOOOB question... I'm not sure how to test that... I think both the Toshiba and Pearl are Native 1080p if content is 1080p... how can I 'test' 1080i... do I find a 1080i DVD? I have the OPPO DVD/SACD player connected, but it's not HD...

I'll try anything once... twice if I like it... :p

Comparaison Testing ~ 1080i vs 1080p..., on The Sony Pearl...

OK... PURE NOOOOB question... I'm not sure how to test that... I think both the Toshiba and Pearl are Native 1080p if content is 1080p... how can I 'test' 1080i... do I find a 1080i DVD? I have the OPPO DVD/SACD player connected, but it's not HD...

I'll try anything once... twice if I like it... :p
Scott,

I think you would need to connect a DVD 'progressive scan' player to your Pearl which you then could adjust the scaling of a standard DVD of say of, "Batman Begins", up-scaled to 1080i, then plug your HD-DVD player into your Pearl to compare to your Toshiba HD-DVD player's picture playing a HD-DVD disc of Batman Begins in 1080p. :eek:

But I think I already know which picture 1080i vs 1080p would win this comparaison..., 1080p hands down. :p Though it would be interesting to have the improvements in picture described, so folks that hadn't experienced it could have some understanding of just how good the 1080p picture is, as produced / projected by the Sony's Pearl... ;)

I did have the OPPO, upscaling batman returns to 1080i... but since it wasn't native I thought it was a bogus test... to be sure the HD-DVD blew the DOORS off the regular DVD upscaled... for Batman returns... and Corpse Bride.... which is a great piece of content to show off the Pearl.

But i wasn't that impressed w/ Serenity... so a LOT has to do w/ the source (surprised?... didn't think so)

On the other hand, I watched Monsters Inc upscaled on the pearl and was in awe of the things I've missed in the past... details of the scene never visible before...

That's been the biggest wow factor is ... "never saw that before" in most of the movies we've watched on the pearl

Pearl / Toshiba / Summits...

I did have the OPPO, upscaling batman returns to 1080i... but since it wasn't native I thought it was a bogus test... to be sure the HD-DVD blew the DOORS off the regular DVD upscaled... for Batman returns... and Corpse Bride.... which is a great piece of content to show off the Pearl.

But i wasn't that impressed w/ Serenity... so a LOT has to do w/ the source (surprised?... didn't think so)

On the other hand, I watched Monsters Inc upscaled on the pearl and was in awe of the things I've missed in the past... details of the scene never visible before...

That's been the biggest wow factor is ... "never saw that before" in most of the movies we've watched on the pearl
Scott,

:D I'm starting to be a little envious of your amazing system. It must be great to watch and experience all the glory of a 1080p marvelous system. :D

I only have one Blue-Ray disc, "The Terminator", that I received for my birthday last April and I can not even play it yet. And when I do decide on a HD player, my older model Pioneer Plasma HDTV will only displays 1080i max. :rolleyes:

Oh well, I still dream of a 1080p front projector... :eek:

Scott,

:D I'm starting to be a little envious of your amazing system. It must be great to watch and experience all the glory of a 1080p marvelous system. :D

I only have one Blue-Ray disc, "The Terminator", that I received for my birthday last April and I can not even play it yet. And when I do decide on a HD player, my older model Pioneer Plasma HDTV will only displays 1080i max. :rolleyes:

Oh well, I still dream of a 1080p front projector... :eek:

I bet a 1080P front projector will be sub 2k in no time. My friend just bought a 65" Mitsubishi 1080P rear projection TV for $2.5K out the door.

I bet a 1080P front projector will be sub 2k in no time. My friend just bought a 65" Mitsubishi 1080P rear projection TV for $2.5K out the door.

It will be a least two years before they get to the sub 2K MSRP. They should get to the 3.5K by early next year.

About four years ago I fell into a used, low hours Sony G90 CRT from one of our customers for about $5k (they had replaced it in their board room with a digital projector, in fact). I got it and then spent another 6-8 months creating the infrastructure needed to use it (cabling, mounting system, HTPC, Steward screen, etc.). I'm not trying to start a CRT/Digital argument here, but in my opinion it will still be another few years before a digital projector can approach the 1080p display that I get off of the G90. (At which point, in fact, I'll probably switch. :D )

I'm not trying to start a CRT/Digital argument here, but in my opinion it will still be another few years before a digital projector can approach the 1080p display that I get off of the G90. (At which point, in fact, I'll probably switch. :D )

Only a FOOL would argue that with you! While a CRT will require more fiddling around to get it and keep it perfect, when it is just right there is NO DOUBT it will BLOW AWAY ANY digital projector...ok, maybe there are some Runco's and a few other brands out there that will beat it, but for the most part, no. The CRT's are still AWESOME! My Pioneer CRT RPTV is a 1080i unit that needs some tweaking but even with that the new sets just BARELY compare...YMMV.

Agreed... looking at a top end CRT in 1080p is like looking out a window...

Of course for under $5k today... for both screen and projector (Pearl and Studio Tech street price) you can get 1080p 108" or higher screen screen size that will fire all the eye candy neurons this boy can handle. :rocker:

BTW, W/ a smaller room... I would have gone rear projector... but, I had the wall space... and said... fill er up :cheers:

About four years ago I fell into a used, low hours Sony G90 CRT from one of our customers for about $5k (they had replaced it in their board room with a digital projector, in fact). I got it and then spent another 6-8 months creating the infrastructure needed to use it (cabling, mounting system, HTPC, Steward screen, etc.). I'm not trying to start a CRT/Digital argument here, but in my opinion it will still be another few years before a digital projector can approach the 1080p display that I get off of the G90. (At which point, in fact, I'll probably switch. :D )

Only a FOOL would argue that with you! While a CRT will require more fiddling around to get it and keep it perfect, when it is just right there is NO DOUBT it will BLOW AWAY ANY digital projector...ok, maybe there are some Runco's and a few other brands out there that will beat it, but for the most part, no. The CRT's are still AWESOME! My Pioneer CRT RPTV is a 1080i unit that needs some tweaking but even with that the new sets just BARELY compare...YMMV.

I am that fool.

You need to see the new JVC RS1 before making comments about digital not standing up to CRT. 15,000:1 native contrast ratio with no dynamic iris, inky CRT like blacks.

See the JVC RS1 comment thread on the AVSforum if you want to know more.

Last edited:
... While a CRT will require more fiddling around to get it and keep it perfect ...
The nice thing about the G90 is that it not only is one of the top two CRT projectors in the world (many say the best), it is rock-solid once calibrated. After I had a professional 'dial in' my G90 back in 2003, I only needed it 'tuned up' once in late 2005.

This points out one of the things I really like about high-end equipment, by the way. It doesn't take a lot to keep speakers like the Ascent or a projector like the G90 running at their incredible performance levels.

Back