From Mag to ML

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Bill,

One recent thread dealt with this very topic but it's immaterial.

The only opinion that matters is yours.

If the switch allows you to better connect with the music, you made the right call.

If not, oh well. You can always switch back.

Good luck.

GG

Last edited:
I literally just wrote about my switch from magnepan 3.6's to spires but its buried in another thread titled "new spires".

Hola. Trust your ears and your liking. I was some time ago a Magneplanar user, it is a great speaker's brand. Why don't you tell us more about your findings and liking. Just think about this: the sound is made by a change of pressure in the air, right? Both Magneplanar and Martin Logan have big drivers and they move many air. This is a good thing. Where I think the clue is at the moving diaphragm that produces the sound. Martin Logan has a super thin diaphragm that weights less than the air that it moves, and also it is always between the same magnetic field strength... The Martin Logan electrostatic diaphragm uses only three key parts; the MicroPerf stator, the ClearSpar and the diaphragm. On Mag, you have a wire attached to its diaphragm, giving this more weight. When the signal is applied, the faster and the right time moving will produce the most identical signal to the input signal. If you have more weight, you have some inertia that will make the diaphragm to move "more" time air than the signal applied. This is called transient. Also, because at the ML panel, there is no crossover point between mid range and highs, the sound is more cohrence. No phase shifts. These are facts that I can listen easy. But sound is a matter of liking. You are used more to Mag sound than to ML. Try to do this. Because you have both speakers... keep listening only one brand for one week without making any comparison. Then switch back to the other brand, and right there you will get more precise the differences between both brands. Our immediate memory last only less than 20 seconds. So AB comparison is difficult. Trust you liking and choose the one that you liked most!. The truth is both speakers are great and fun to listen. Right now my heart is with ML sound...perhaps yours too!. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
From ML to Maggie

About a year ago I changed from Martin Logan Summit to Maggie 20.1. This was after about 16 years with ML, first with Quest and then Summit. I also had a Prodigy for some of the time with the Summit.

The Maggie suits my tastes more than the Summit and also the Prodigy It has the image size of the older series of Martin Logans but even bigger. Absolutely huge soundstage and instruments placed precisely in the room.

The bass sounds entirely natural to me even though not quite as low and punchy as the Summit. , and they do shake the floor at times.

The 20.1 is more detailed than the Summit in my room. I now hear a lot of detail that on my CDs that I have never heard before.

The other night I listened to Desolation Row from the remastered CD. The harmonic on this track was just amazing.

Growing old together with my Martin Logans

Hi Bill,

I guess I fall into this category having run SMGa and 1's for 15 years before moving to ML's.

Truth be known, I miss them and sometimes I wonder if I should put a pair of 1.7's back into the dining room to replace a pair of ML Ascent i's, just to keep an old love alive.

However, most of the time compromises need to occur somewhere; - money, room size, bass response etc etc. On the Maggies, I loved the 'air' that they have around instruments and voice, but I did not like the two dimensionality of the bass. Further, having repaired and rewound the treble wiring myself because the original had aged, I found I had less time in my life with a young family to do it yet again. Also, exposure to UV and sunlight had not been kind to the Mylar being evenly tensioned across the panel.

Enter the MLs, the bass is there, the 'air' is not. I can pull the speaker part inside 20 minutes and replace the stator myself and be back listening to music. The son of a good friend recently toasted a one year pair of Maggie 1.6's that I help sell to replace the earlier pair I also helped sell (failed treble wiring), the problem being, it was cheaper to replace the near new speakers outright than replace each blown panel! I find this annoying putting it mildly.

So time and money do not seem to favour the Maggies, the modular approach of Martin Logan ensures an 'evergreen' product. Check out how many old pairs are still running in this forum and how affordable and easy it is the replace panels. A sign of thoughtful engineering and architecting IMHO.

My 5c worth of experience.

Jeff

The best of both

I combined the Martin Logan Summits with Magneplanar
Tympani IV bass panels and the result is stunning. The
Martin Logan Summits are simply awesome for midrange
and highs, with imaging and low level detail that rivals
all Maggies. The Magneplanar Tympani IV bass panels
gives one powerful, well controlled bass with depth and
a huge sound-stage that the Martin Logans can't do. IMG_1034.jpg

Very nice, many years back I used the SMG as Mid with a ribbon tweeter and subs, sounded great till I started noticing difference of 3 technologies combined. I felt that way about the Wilson monsters too. What x/o points and slopes are you using.

Bill

Jeff

Completely agree espicially the part that they wont ship the glue in the winters, I have had 5 pairs of Maggies thru the ages luckly never blew em up or kept them long enough to a failure point.
Looking forward to the new ML'S if they ever get here..................

Back