Flowers and Bunnies (and my experience with Logans)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dwcscca

Hi guys; I've been following this forum for quite a while and was seriously considering putting down some major $$$$$ on a new pair of MLs. Based on everything I read, I was expecting to be blown away by the sound qualify and hear things I had never heard before.

Boy was I disappointed! I got my local stereo shop to let me "test drive" a pair of vistas in my apartment and I hooked them up to my Yamaha RX-V459 (an INCREDIBLE receiver, by the way--one of the best I've ever heard!). Bottom line, the vistas sounded exactly like my Infinity bookshelf speakers that I've had for more than 5 years now. What kind of a scam are these supposed "high-end" speaker companies trying to run? I couldn't believe how the two speakers sounded identical. The ML's had a TINY bit more bass, but otherwise I couldn't tell them apart.

I guess I really shouldn't be that surprised. It's just a cone vibrating and there's only really one way to make a cone, so it's no surprise that all of these speakers sound the same. I guess I just don't understand why anyone would pay thousands of dollars for something that sounds EXACTLY like a $200 pair of bookshelf speakers. I'm just lucky I didn't spend the money and get stuck with the vistas!

Sorry to rant, but I just don't think there's any difference in the quality of the sound.

To each their own. If you can't tell the difference, don't buy them. I can, and everyone who has ever heard my system can. (which is pretty much all people who couldn't care less about audio) The difference is night and day for me between the logans and any box speaker I've heard, including much more expensive ones. You certainly come off like a troll putting a sensationalist title on the thread. Something more like "What difference do you hear" might be a title more prone to spark intelligent discussion.

Also, hookup up MLs to a $250 receiver probably isn't going to do them justice, as good as you think the receiver might be.

Last edited:
This isn't a hearing issue. I can hear just fine. It's just that the two speakers sound almost exactly the same and I'm not the only one who thought this. I had my girlfriend listen to them too and she said "they both sound pretty good." I just don't get why there isn't a huge difference in quality with the price that these go for.

Hi guys; I've been following this forum for quite a while and was seriously considering putting down some major $$$$$ on a new pair of MLs. Based on everything I read, I was expecting to be blown away by the sound qualify and hear things I had never heard before.

Boy was I disappointed! I got my local stereo shop to let me "test drive" a pair of vistas in my apartment and I hooked them up to my Yamaha RX-V459 (an INCREDIBLE receiver, by the way--one of the best I've ever heard!). Bottom line, the vistas sounded exactly like my Infinity bookshelf speakers that I've had for more than 5 years now. What kind of a scam are these supposed "high-end" speaker companies trying to run? I couldn't believe how the two speakers sounded identical. The ML's had a TINY bit more bass, but otherwise I couldn't tell them apart.

I guess I really shouldn't be that surprised. It's just a cone vibrating and there's only really one way to make a cone, so it's no surprise that all of these speakers sound the same. I guess I just don't understand why anyone would pay thousands of dollars for something that sounds EXACTLY like a $200 pair of bookshelf speakers. I'm just lucky I didn't spend the money and get stuck with the vistas!

Sorry to rant, but I just don't think there's any difference in the quality of the sound.

Here are some other recommendations:

1-go to the ear doctor.

2-go to promises.com (where Britney Spears was) for some Drug addiction kicking

3-listen to a proper setup ML system

4-go back to number one

5-if you still don't get it....BOSE really is for you. Here it stands for Bring Other Sound Equipment

Good Luck in your search!:D

It's just a cone vibrating and there's only really one way to make a cone, so it's no surprise that all of these speakers sound the same.

Hmmm...that's news to me!! Someone needs to do more research before trolling!:D

You spelled underrated wrong in your thread subject.

Dude so go post on the Infinity owners site. I'm sure you know what they say about opinions and you're entitled to your own but you aren't going to get any love here so enjoy your Infinity book shelves, be thankful you didn't waste your hard earned money, and kindly go away. :cheers:

The Yamaha RX-V459 is the best you've ever heard? You must not get around much....

T-

You have a $250 receiver, and likely an inexpensive transport. I wouldn't suspect you would hear a difference. In fact, i wouldn't be surprised if they sounded worse. If you listen to a well set up logan system and still agree with your assessment...then don't get them. It's like getting an expensive pair of racing tires and putting them on a geo metro, and expecting to pull 10s quarter miles. Get the Infinitis if you don't have the budget to properly feed the MLs.

An enlightening post for sure - mine as well throw out the big stat's and take in some of those Primus monitors. Forget Pass mono's... Yammy is where its at. What the hell was I thinking? Thanks a million. :)

Do you guys really think the amp could have that much of an effect? The Yammy is a pretty high-end amp (I'm sure not compared to some of the equipment on this forum) but I find it hard to believe that it can't power just two ML's.

If the Yamaha has 40% distortion when driving a 2ohm load....then yes it could sound pretty poor :(

Ok, but here's what I don't get. I know that my Yammy is set to run 6-8 ohm speakers. So to compensate for the 2 ohm ML's, I just double-wire the speakers so that they're hooked up to my front and rear channels. That gets around the impedance problem and brings the load down to 3 ohms, which should be close enough for a comparison with the Infinitys. Any way to test how much distortion I'm getting at that level?

Do you guys really think the amp could have that much of an effect? The Yammy is a pretty high-end amp (I'm sure not compared to some of the equipment on this forum) but I find it hard to believe that it can't power just two ML's.
ou

Dude!! You have a long way to go. The dealer that would let you take home a pair of Vistas, and not let you take home some decent amps as well should have his dealership pulled!
My first experience with the Logans was not good as well. That's because I went to a place that was more interested in just getting speakers out the door, and not giving the customer the best sounding system. Fortunately I had a great dealer, where I was able to properly audition the Logans.

It is far from a high end amp. It is a $250 amplifier. If you are serious about findng out more, but are on a budget...rotel, and outlaw both make good seperates for a pretty good price that would let you start to experience the difference.

It is not a snob effect, but rather, the power supply in that amplifier is almost surely completely unable to handle the impedence swing offered by logans. A $1000 receiver could get you to the point where you could hear a decent difference, and real seperates would get you to the point where there's really no contest. What cd player are you using? That can make a big difference too. You can get a pretty good one for fairly cheap ($150 or so for an Oppo 971) ... but a cheap one can sound pretty terrible when played through the ultra-revealing logans.

Also...for home theater (if that's what you're using it for) there genereally isn't the kind of find detail to be extracted as there is in a lot of good music. Dialogue should be clearer, but there would likely be much less of a difference than on music.

Also, make sure they are at least 3 ft from back and side walls.

MLs are finicky things (sensitive to setup and components)...but are very much worth it (imo) when you get them to perform.

Back