First post-New ML Ethos speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryston4me

Reaction score
Just bought my first pair of Martin Logan speakers. I have heard them at some audio salons and liked what I heard. I am a little concerned about my room. It's 12ftx15ftx8ft. I emailed Martin Logan regarding my concern and they thought the Ethos would work in my room. I'm using a Bryston 4BSST amp with a DeHavilland Ultraverve preamp. I should have the speakers in about a week and I am very anxious. I'm also looking for ideas for speaker cables but don't want to start a forum war. Some suggestions would be kindly appreciated. Something less than $500.

For whatever it's worth, I'm very happy with Drew Baird's "Black Dragons".
http://www.moon-audio.com/audio-cables/moon-audio-speaker-cables/black-dragon-speaker-cable.html
They do take a little time to break in, but are very dynamic and quiet. I have the locking Bananas, but that's a matter of choice. He makes a quality product. I also use his power cords and interconnects.

Happy Listening, and don't forget to experiment with the speaker's placement.....very important!!
and above all else...ENJOY!!

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14619-System-461-(Theos)

bryston, welcome aboard, I'm sure you feel like it's the week before Christmas !

You'll be fine with your room, as Scotty said, take time with speaker set-up and don't be afraid of some acoustic room treatments along the way.

With regard to speaker cable, my choice, 'signal cable' ..... http://signalcable.com/ultraspeaker.html , Frank, the owner makes a very good product for the $$ IMO and his low capacitence specs of his cables are superb. FWIW, I use his power cords as well.

Good luck with your journey ahead !

almost forgot..............since you're from Maine...name the location ! .......

Attachments

• IMG_0818.jpg
    IMG_0818.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:
Welcome Bryson.
Now the pressure is on you. This is one of Dave's offical new member test for those of us lucky enough to have lived in Maine at one time or another.

don`t stress too much re cables , just good quality well made stuff is fine
I personally use chord epic but not sure if available where you are
friends use van damme to good effect. no need to spend a fortune oh and I use summit x in a room 17 ft by 13 ft and sounds awesome

Hi Bryston,

Regarding which speaker cable to buy, there is no "right" answer.

You should audition and decide.

Contact FATWYRE.

GG

I'm from Portland. I've been looking at signal cable, but actually the silver.Thanks for the suggestions.

Good choice with your speakers. Don't be too concerned about the room size. My Montis speakers work really well in my room which has problems with muddy bass. I simply dialled the bass back 2dB and they sound great.

Another positive for Signal Cable, I have Ultra bi-wires and have had them with my last 2 sets of ML's. They don't do anything wrong, a good thing.

Last edited:
Well, I got the Ethos speakers and they sound very good. By far the best speakers I have had in my room. A very good suggestion, thanks, regarding the signal cable ultra! They sound excellent especially for the price. I was concerned about the size of my room, but the Ethos work very well in this room. I hope to post some pics soon.

I am currently using a Bryston 4B-SST amp but have heard so many positive things about ESL's and tubes. I would love to try a tube amp or monoblocks in my system, but the big problem is that I live in Maine and not very many place to go to audition them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am also currently using a Dehavilland Ultraverve pre and Sony XA5400 cd player.

So far I have liked the Audio research but at 5 - 6k pounds I find it expensive. I will be trying the Prima Luna, which is cheaper. The good thing about AR is it did not seem to get harsh at all, even when I turned the sound up.

Please let me know hoe the Primaluna works out. I have been looking at those also.

Latest posts

Back