Finally took the plunge. . .

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And bought my ML 5.1 dream system. Since I am just too impatient to wait for the CLX, I ordered a pair of Summits, and also a Stage center, and a pair of Clarities for the rear. I already own a Descent, so I am well on my way to multi-channel bliss. My dedicated listening room will be complete in about four months, and at that time I will post it in the member's section with lots of pictures. The speakers should arrive in about a week, so I will spend the intervening time burning them in on my current system.

In the meantime, I would ask for some input regarding multi-channel processors and amplifiers. I am strongly leaning toward the Anthem D2 processor with the P-5 Amplifier. I am also considering Meridian, Lexicon, and Sunfire. Unfortunately, I don't have any local dealers for the Meridian and Lexicon so that makes it tougher. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has experience with any of these brands paired with Logans. Thanks.

Pass Labs all the way for SS. Use a X-250.5 for the fronts and use a X-3 for the center and rears. X-1 as pre and all you need is a processor. You will be amazed. My listening is 95% two channel. Of course, I have a full ML surround system though. I use a processor with the X-1 and it works very well. I just don't want to comprimise my two channel. The way that I do it, it doesn't. I'm sure others will disagree but it is all preference.

Noooooo..... wait for the CLX!!!

All kidding aside... congrats Rich!!! Summits and Stage for the front stage (no pun intended) and Clarities for the rears sounds like a killer system to me. Not to mention the Descent! Wow.... nice!

Enjoy my friend,
Joey :cheers:

I am strongly leaning toward the Anthem D2 processor with the P-5 Amplifier.

Rich, did you ever hear the large Prodigy demo room at Audio-Insight before they took it down a couple years ago? You should speak to John about which amps/processors they used in that room, but I'm afraid that it was Anthem.

Whatever amps/processors/cables were used, it was definitely a poor match for the Prodigy, Theater-i, etc. No matter what room treatments they tried, the system was very bright and sizzly. It wasn't give-me-a-migrane-in-two-seconds bright, but it was unpleasant. I seldom listened to that system more than a few minutes per visit for that reason.

I presume Audio-Insight is where you got the Summits. John knows his stuff and he's a super-nice guy. He'll steer you right.

Congratulations! I am sure you will be pleased, although probably not at first. Straight out of the box these things sound thin and a bit bright. I have heard these with Meridian electronics and it sounded wonderful. I own a Lexicon RT-10 which I use in my video system. A great tonal match with ML's. I have not heard Anthem electronics with ML's.

Last edited:
In the meantime, I would ask for some input regarding multi-channel processors and amplifiers. I am strongly leaning toward the Anthem D2 processor with the P-5 Amplifier.

I currently use my Summits with the D2 and an Aragon 3005 amp of similar specs and sound to the P5. You won't be dissapointed with this combination in any respects, especially audio wise. In 2 channel balanced bypass mode I pump the output of a Theta Data basic transport and Benchmark DAC1. The results are nothing less than spectacular....detail, warmth, power, soundstage are all right where they need to be for my tastes...Warning...the combination of D2 and P5 with the Summits could spoil you!

Thanks for all the kind words and input, everyone. I really appreciate it. Since I have some time until I need the Pre/Pro and Amp, I am going to take my time and do lots of research and auditioning before I purchase. It really is helpful to get input and ideas from people that have experience with this gear.

Brian: You are correct. I purchased from Audio Insight, although I dealt with Michael. I am planning on going in today to audition the Anthem D1 with the Vantages to get an idea of it's abilities. I will try to talk to John and get his opinions while I am there. I never heard the Prodigies at AI, but I heard them a few years ago at Accurate Audio (now defunct) and they sounded incredible, but I don't remember what was driving them.

Jerry: Thanks for the input. If I decide to go that route, I will be asking you lots of questions once it comes setup time. :p

Please keep the recommendations coming. I am interested in everyone's experiences with high-end processors and multi-channel amps paired with Logans. I will keep you updated as I make my decisions.

Please keep the recommendations coming.

My recommendation is to give me your system and save yourself years of endless tweaking and bouts of Joeyitis.

Really, I'm just thinking about your best interests! No, Really!

Congrats on the new system :)

Brian: You are correct. I purchased from Audio Insight, although I dealt with Michael. I am planning on going in today to audition the Anthem D1 with the Vantages to get an idea of it's abilities. I will try to talk to John and get his opinions while I am there.

John knows his stuff and will steer you right. I wish all
high-end dealers were like him: a ML enthusiast with his
own store. I can't recall if Anthem was used in that room
or not. If it was Anthem, I doubt he would encourage that
line because he was also unhappy with the sound. That's
why they tore down the room. I can't recall what speakers
they replaced it with, but they're not my cup of tea. I never
go back there any more except to look at the 1080p front
projector.

I never heard the Prodigies at AI, but I heard them a few years ago at Accurate Audio (now defunct) and they sounded incredible, but I don't remember what was driving them.

Accurate Audio's big system was (then) top-shelf Krell
and Transparent: FPB 600 monos, Reference XL interconnects
and cables, etc. He also had big M&K subs in the corners
for LFE.

That system used Monoliths until the Prodigy release and
it sounded awesome. In some ways the system was more
fun because the Monoliths got a little cartoony if the
volume was cranked a bit too high. At low volume, you
were in the back row of the venue. As you bumped up the
gain, the aural illusion was like slowly zooming a camera
lens until you were in the front row and Holly Cole was
practically spitting on you. But you didn't get any closer
by exceeding that "correct" volume. Instead, you began
shrinking until eventually Holly's mouth was 6-feet wide
and 4-feet tall centered between the Monoliths. There was
no person there, just this huge, floating mouth singing.
Not harsh, but very unnatural. It was a bizzare (and fun)
illusion that I've never experienced since. But I've heard
that the Statement 2 would do the same when the volume
was too loud.

Anyway, Accurate also carried BAT, but those demos were
of course stereo-only and the systems changed a lot. In
mid-fi, I recall Scott carrying Integra receivers, but he
seldom pared them anything except the Ascent in a small
room with Sunfire cubes.

My favorite "budget" system (relatively speaking) they
demoed used a Krell KAV-300i integrated amp, a Krell
CD player, Transparent Super Bi-wire, and SL3s in a large
room treated with... fiberglass A/C duct panels covered
in cloth. I was always shocked at the bass slam from the
SL3s given the KAV-300i's tiny size. The imaging was also
excellent. All that stuff can be picked up in AGon for less
than half retail. If I was starting from scratch, that's what
I'd choose.

Rich, PM me. We need to meet and swap recipes. I have a
used BAT VK-D5SE CD player and Krell 280p preamp
upgrade en-route. I can also introduce you to some more
H-Ville audio buddies. Super-nice people.

Charlie: I am strongly considering your recommendation . . . NOT!!! Thanks for thinking of my best interests.

Brian: I talked with John today and he is a real fan of the Anthem gear. Says he prefers it over Lexicon and just about anything else. He has the AVM 20 in his home setup. I didn't get to demo the D1 as they had loaned it out for a home audition. Maybe later this week.

I seem to remember that it was in fact the Krell gear I heard powering the Prodigies at Accurate Audio. That was what first turned me on to Logans. I liked that store. Too bad Scott's business management skills were not as good as his audio enjoyment skills. :p

I will PM you with my email address. We should definitely get together sometime.

On another note, the electricians wired my media room today. I have four, that's right -- count 'em -- four 20 Amp circuits with isolated grounds. I'll have enough juice in that room to power a small radio station. :rocker:

Happy Valentine's Day, Logan Lovers. :cheers:

My 5.1 dream system is slowly coming together. I now have my Clarities and are burning them in on my bedroom system. My Stage has arrived and I will be picking it up today. And my Summits were shipped out on Monday, so they should be here either today or tomorrow.

I can't wait to get the Summits hooked up to my tube amp and start burning them in. I'll let you all know my impressions of how they compare to the Ascents once I have had some time with them.

Yesterday, I also ordered some Ekornes Stressless recliners for my Media Room. Now I just have to decide on acoustic treatments and a front projector. I'm considering the new JVC. The house remodel continues to move along at a good pace. I think we will be moving into it in May, and I will finally have the kicka$$ Media Room that I have wanted for so long. :cool:

CONGRATS RICH!!

I will request one thing... take pics of the Ascents and the Summits and post a review!

Remember, the Summits like AGGRESSIVE toe in from my experience so dont be afraid to try that when you start playing with them.

JOey

Congratulations Rich ---- You Lucky Bastard

Got any ideas on how I can convince my wife that I need a pair of Summits.:think:

Congratulations Rich ---- You Lucky Bastard

Got any ideas on how I can convince my wife that I need a pair of Summits.:think:

Thanks guys. Wayne, I have no ideas offhand. It has taken me years to work her up to this point.

Not that your system is anything to be ashamed of. I love your room. How do you like your Salamandar rack? I am thinking along those lines for my Media room.

I have been playing DVDs on my bedroom system all day, listening to the stage and clarities. Even not broken in, and even with my old Yammy integrated (which is a little harsh and edgy) they still sound great. Sarah Mclachlan, Steve Miller Band, Sting, Paul McCartney . . . It all sounds really nice. Very accurate and revealing (unfortunately for the Yammy).

I remember a thread several months ago where I questioned the ability of the Stage to properly reproduce lower midrange after I had a short and somewhat dissatisfying audition. I know now that is not the case. It is just a very neutral and revealing speaker. Joey, I will give a more in depth review of everything and post some pics when I have time.

Thanks guys. Wayne, I have no ideas offhand. It has taken me years to work her up to this point.

Not that your system is anything to be ashamed of. I love your room. How do you like your Salamandar rack? I am thinking along those lines for my Media room.

At this point it's a topic thats not even up for discussion, Last time I tried to bring it up, it was suggested I sell my Bike to pay for the speakers, She knows that will never happen.

I love the Salamander rack, The best feature about it is it hides all the wires.
Major WAF points. Also many options and color choices. Mine has only 3 sections for equpiment wish I'd gotten the one with 4 sections. Wasn't thinking of future additions at the time I got it.

When you get it all up and running be sure to post pics.
:cheers:

At this point it's a topic thats not even up for discussion, Last time I tried to bring it up, it was suggested I sell my Bike to pay for the speakers, She knows that will never happen.

Maybe in a couple of years you can convince her to let you sell your Odysseys and get a pair of slightly used Summits. That shouldn't cost too much.

Mine has only 3 sections for equpiment wish I'd gotten the one with 4 sections. Wasn't thinking of future additions at the time I got it.

Good point. I am planning on getting the 4 section one, and maybe even get the 32" high one. Lots of room for upgrading. :p

When you get it all up and running be sure to post pics.
:cheers:

Definitely.

I love the Salamander rack, The best feature about it is it hides all the wires.
Major WAF points. Also many options and color choices. Mine has only 3 sections for equpiment wish I'd gotten the one with 4 sections. Wasn't thinking of future additions at the time I got it.

Just about to put my Salamander QUAD together! YEA BABY! I will be getting a 70" Sony to put on top of it in less than one month. The box that the RPTV will sit on and the Theater will mount to the front of has been built and is now ready to be covered with Suede!

I customized my dual 20 and dual 10 doors on my Salamander Quad 20 with clear smoked glass...looks SOOO COOL! They only offer perforated metal or frosted glass for these doors...didn't like either choice so I ordered the frosted and then took out one of each size piece and had a glass place cut me some new panels! YEA BABY! Put them in the doors tonight and they look GREAT...now to get the thing built. Mine is black w/ black Al support stuff and it sits on the casters so it can be moved once it is finished.

Because of the shape of the bottom of the SONY 70" RPTV and the height of the box it will sit on I will also be able to put a pair for MBL monoblocks on either side of the TV on top of the shelf but under the "wings" of the TV...if I ever get to that point it will look COOL!

When I get it all set up I will of course post pics!

Just about to put my Salamander QUAD together! YEA BABY!

I customized my dual 20 and dual 10 doors on my Salamander Quad 20 with clear smoked glass...looks SOOO COOL! They only offer perforated metal or frosted glass for these doors...didn't like either choice so I ordered the frosted and then took out one of each size piece and had a glass place cut me some new panels! YEA BABY! Put them in the doors tonight and they look GREAT...now to get the thing built. Mine is black w/ black Al support stuff and it sits on the casters so it can be moved once it is finished.
When I get it all set up I will of course post pics!

I went with the metal mesh doors because I was worried about heat build up within the cabinet

The choice of casters was brilliant, I wasn't so smart, major pain in the a$$ when I have to get behind the cabinet

looking forward to the pics.

Latest posts

Back