Fairly new Spires ...Woofers a flapping like crazy!!! Please help?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmusoke

Reaction score
Fairly new Spires ...Woofers are flapping like crazy!!! Please help?

Hi folks:

I have a 1 year old pair of Spires which have been working just great as far as i knew. They are indoors with no direct sunlight on them and ofcourse in a smoke/tobacco free environment. A week ago or so i did the following:

1. I raised them onto a 2 foot wooden block(for lack of a better word) to improve vertical imaging, which works great btw now as i sense no loss in tone when i sit or stand.

2. I removed the front feet to make the rake angle vertical, as close to zero as possible based on a few posts we had a couple weeks ago here on the forum.

3. I changes the xover of the Spires(in my pre-pro) from 60Hz to full range as i wanted to have a pure Spires only Stereo setup with no sub involved. Sub to be used only for MCH sources.

Problem(which i don't think relates to the above 2 things i did)...

When i play low frequencies as normal comfortable listening levels, the woofers flap all over the place. I know flap very well...as the original woofers in my 20-year old Honda tell me everyday. You learn to enjoy car music with greatly distorted bass from the woofers:confused:.

Anyways, Thinking it was one of the two things i did, i then placed the Spires back to my carpeted floor and the flap was reduced significantly but was still there.

I lifted one of the Spires speaker (heavy thing indeed) and held it in my arms while the tests was running. The flapping was loud as before when it was on the wooden 2 foot block.

BTW, the test program i used was a shareware function generator(see attachment) called Test Tone Generator. I use it to sweep frequencies from 10Hz to 20KHz in my speaker tests but in this case, i only run one frequency at a time.

I found that i got the flap from 20Hz all the way to about 55Hz or so. At 60Hz to about 400Hz, all kinds of obscene-sounding-woofer-panel resonances could be heard which was a shocker to me indeed!!! But after running the sweep for a while (about 15 minutes at higher volume levels) the resonances disappeared. The flap continued for frequency levels below 60Hz in both speakers.

What could be the cause and how can i get rid of the flap??? Remember the flap was inaudible of the Spires were crossed at 60Hz from the sub. But when i run them full-range, then they flap like crazy. This is done at normal listening levels of about 60dB on my home.

Test Tone Generator 2.jpg

Last edited:
Check the bass output (volume) setting on your pre-pro.

If you can't find the problem, you run the risk of destroying the woofers.

Check the bass output (volume) setting on your pre-pro.

If you can't find the problem, you run the risk of destroying the woofers.

Gordon:

I use the AS-EQ1 bass management system from SVS to phase align my subwoofers(which uses Audessey) plus Anthems ARC system for my D2v pre-pro. The bass is calibrated to be equal with the rest of the mains at 75dB when the volume knob is set to 0dB. I set the volume knob to -15dB for a 60dB SPL level which is really mild to listen at. Nothing is jacking up the bass from the pre-pro.

- David

Gordon:

I use the AS-EQ1 bass management system from SVS to phase align my subwoofers(which uses Audessey) plus Anthems ARC system for my D2v pre-pro. The bass is calibrated to be equal with the rest of the mains at 75dB when the volume knob is set to 0dB. I set the volume knob to -15dB for a 60dB SPL level which is really mild to listen at. Nothing is jacking up the bass from the pre-pro.

- David

Unless the EQ is jacking up the bass in both the avr and the EQ1. Take them both out of the loop and see if anything changes.

Sounds to me like they are being seriously over-driven. I'd check that all EQ is out of the path before resuming.

But I'll also state, no ML speaker is truly 'full range', ALL benefit from removing the low-bass and using a sub. So not sure why you are removing the subs from the equation here.
Sacrificing a clean bass and mid-bass performance in room for some supposed 'purer' stereo thing is counter-productive IMHO. When your LF is generating >10% THD, it's less 'pure'. So go ahead and leverage the Bass EQ and crossovers.

OK all... i think i have found the problem. I had removed the front feet of the Spires to make a vertical rake angle for better imaging, which works well.

BUT, now that the holes that hold these feet exposed, distorted bass sounds are emitted from within the woofer through these holes. I think this phenomenon is called chaffing(?) but not sure. When you place your hands underneath these newly exposed ports while playing bass tones , you feel (and hear) powerful and rapid air-pressure in your hands. This is the source of the noise cuz when i replace the front feet, the noise disappears completely. I remove the feet and the noise returns. I block te holes with my hand and the noise disappears.

Question is, what 'material' can i use to block these screw holes for the front feet while maintaining a zero degree rake?

- David

EDIT:

The Spires feet are neat in that they are made of two screwed in parts. A low-height and a high height part. I unscrewed them both and used the low height part to plug the holes. Problem solved!

Also make sure the 2 parts of the back feet are screwed in tight into each other or else one part will begin to rattle at low frequencies...

Last edited:
You will need to seal the holes for proper response . Short screws might work with a rubber gasket, wax comes mind but it might get blown out.

I do not think black tape will be enough.

You will need to seal the holes for proper response . Short screws might work with a rubber gasket, wax comes mind but it might get blown out.

I do not think black tape will be enough.

I just did ...read my edited post above ...

Back