Esoteric SA60 CD Player / need input

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Howdy all,

Just about to pull the trigger on this unit. Any member observations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

GG

My observation is that your system just keeps getting better and better. I know your Cary is a great player, but I expect the SA-60 will kick it up a notch and give you more of that detail you love so much. I know George loves his Esoteric. I expect you will be happy with yours. I still think you need to audition that Sanders pre, though. Maybe next year. Please give us a detailed write-up of the Esoteric when you get it.

Redbooks and SACDs sound great on the Esoteric in Rampage's system. The build quality is top notch, especially the transport section. I'm pretty sure he also upgraded from a Marantz Cd player.

Gordon - you know that I'm a pretty staunch analog guy. That being said I do believe that Esoteric makes among the finest digital players on the market. I don't have anything aganist any of the other big names (Naim, Wadia, dCs, EMM, Audio Aero), but to my ears, in my system, my Esoteric DV50s came closest to what I expect out of my analog rig. It manages to reveal an astonishing amount of detail without sounding dry or harsh. It has amazingly good deep bass (perhaps a bit deeper than my analog rig, but not quite as natural sounding and with a shorter decay). It has a very good width and depth of soundstage, with images solidly located within the space.

While my DV-50s is a predecessor to the SA60, I think you'll find the SA60 even more refined and detailed. The transport is in my opinion the thing that really differentiates Esoteric from all others. If you are to move forward with the purchase of one I should not think you would ever feel disappointed.

Attachments

• Esoteric02.jpg
    Esoteric02.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 639
Last edited:
Boom

That's the sound of a big hole in my credit card.

Thank you all so much for your input.

Will provide my comments once I get a handle on the beast.

This a very dangerous hobby.

Gordon

Gorden - when you get it - give your impressions - and what you are comparing it too etc..... thanks tim....

It manages to reveal an astonishing amount of detail without sounding dry or harsh. It has amazingly good deep bass (perhaps a bit deeper than my analog rig, but not quite as natural sounding and with a shorter decay). It has a very good width and depth of soundstage, with images solidly located within the space.

Hi everyone! MiTT is right on the money with his description of the unit. I just want to say that I diffidently enjoy the Esoteric playback performance for either Redbooks or SACDs. It’s a keeper for the long term! :music:

Gorden - when you get it - give your impressions - and what you are comparing it too etc..... thanks tim....

Tim,

Will do. Manufacturer claims that the dreaded breakin time is 350 to 500 hours. I've also read several reviews that validate this. Dealer is going to "partially" burn in for 100 hours or so before shipping to me.

Am buying on a 30 day money back arrangement and should have the unit in about 10 days.

I will post my comments once I'm confident I have a handle on the unit's sound.

GG

Last edited:
Tim,

Will do. Manufacturer claims that the dreaded breakin time is 350 to 500 hours. I've also read several reviews that validate this. Dealer is going to "partially" burn in for 100 hours or so before shipping to me.

Am buying on a 30 day money back arrangement and should have the unit in about 10 days.

I will post my comments once I'm confident I have a handle on the unit's sound.

GG

All I can say is I'm really excited for you. I currently own a denon 5900 - and I have compared it to some other things - and it seems to do 'ok'. I wouldn't say it has 'won' any battles - but it certainly hasn't been embarrassed by anything. When Blu-Ray came out - I started to second guess my video/audio in the same player. So, of course, the SA-60 seemed interesting to me. So, what you are coming out of (which cd player do you now own) would be a good basis - for me at least - to know what you are used to hearing ...

This 10 day wait - I swear it makes it all the better doesn't it?

Hi Tim,

If you look at the bottom of my posts, you'll see all my equipment. I currently have the Cary Audio CDP 1, which is basically the bottom of the Cary line.

I've had it for about 16 months and frankly, am not unhappy with its performance. For a retail price of $2K, its price / performance value, IMHO, is outstanding.

However, with input received from Rich and others, I've made some minor improvements (read relatively inexpensive) that have resulted in some major increases in transparency and musicality.

So, I came to the point of considering a better digital source. I've always liked Esoteric and especially the quality of their transports. Last weekend, I researched some reviews on the SA60 and decided to go for it. In addition, the SA60 is going to be another $400 more at the end of this week.

Current update. The item is on backorder and will not be available until mid-April. My dealer called me and said that there is some uncertainty amongst CDP manufacturers regarding the current trend towards hard drive / music server based digital systems. As a result, Esoteric appears to be cautious regarding new unit production and per Scott, dealers are getting rid of their existing stock. Who knows if this is true and what is actually going on in this crazy industry.

As for me, I believe I will still pursue auditioning the unit. None of the above has convinced me to change my mind. The delay is a bummer but, such is life.

So, my comments of the SA60 may be delayed for awhile.

GG

All of the Esoteric Players I've heard including this one have been fantastic...

If you have a big collection of SACD's it will be a bonus...

UGGGH!!!! That is a bummer. Why don't you give music direct a call - and see if they give you the same schpeel...

Given the parameters associated with this purchase, can't go there.

Yes, it's somewhat frustrating.

Current update. The item is on backorder and will not be available until mid-April. My dealer called me and said that there is some uncertainty amongst CDP manufacturers regarding the current trend towards hard drive / music server based digital systems. As a result, Esoteric appears to be cautious regarding new unit production and per Scott, dealers are getting rid of their existing stock. Who knows if this is true and what is actually going on in this crazy industry.
GG

How many SACDs do you own?

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I too would be VERY concerned by spending that sort of money on a CD player just now (at least one without a digital input), for two reasons:

1: As you said, where our crazy industry is headed
2: Because I know first-hand how I've taken to owning a music server - I could never go back to shuffling discs in and out of a tray, it's crazyness!......and mine doesn't even sound as good as my CD player (yet, but it is VERY close).

If you're not yet ready for a music server, don't worry - I'd at least have a good listen to some good DACs in that price range. Then, when you are ready for one, you're ready go!!

Try:

EMM DAC6E
EMM DCC2
Tube Technology Fulcrum DAC64
Goldmund Mimesis 10C
Perhaps even used dCS stuff at that price
et. al.

Last edited:
My son's CDP is an Esoteric SA60. It is truely a wonderful player and can say without a doubt it is the best CDP we have put on his system. It has more detail and more space and more listenability than all other CDPs on his system. It is truly fantastic.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thank You All!!!

Dear ML Amigos,

I sincerely appreciate all the input received. What a wonderful forum this is.

I continue to be amazed at the collective knowledge of the ML Club members and their willingness to provide their personal observations to help a fellow member make an informed decision. Very special indeed.

I also appreciate Amie's post. However, I'm going to respectfully continue on my current course of purchasing the SA60 for several reasons.

I am not one who is entirely comfortable with new technology and enjoy putting that little silver / gold plated devil into the tray and pressing play. Admittedly, it's not the same for those who continue to have an analogue / LP based playback source. I remember those days quite well.

In addition, I do believe that hard drive / music server digital playback systems, along with the next wave of Blue Ray music CD's, will be the wave of the future. Yes, more choices for crazies like us. However, my sense is that, with any new technology, both of these playback formats are still in their infant stages and it will take several years, as a minimum, for the industry and adoptors thereof, to make this a viable hi end consumer option.

Finally, I'm confident that the SA60 will serve my personal music needs quite well for the next several years.

Thank you all again for the wonderful comaraderie and to our honorable webmaster and forum moderators for "making it so".

Gordon

I do believe that hard drive / music server digital playback systems, along with the next wave of Blue Ray music CD's, will be the wave of the future. Yes, more choices for crazies like us. However, my sense is that, with any new technology, both of these playback formats are still in their infant stages and it will take several years, as a minimum, for the industry and adoptors thereof, to make this a viable hi end consumer option.

I agree wholeheartedly, Gordon. The C.D. medium has been around now for what, almost thirty years? And yet some of the best C.D. players ever made are being produced right now. Give the music server/memory player type technology a decade or two and there will be a plethora of amazing and relatively inexpensive options available to choose from. This technology still has a lot of maturing to do, from both a hardware and software perspective.

For now, though, you are making an excellent choice. I have my heart set on an Esoteric as well. I just can't bring myself to spend that much money on it. I really want an X-01D2, but they are a little more than I care to spend on a player right now.

Gordon,

I have been looking for a new CD/SACD player for some time now. I purchased the SA-60 yesterday from Music Direct and it arrived today. I am certain that they have more in stock if you have problems with your current supplier. It was my first transaction with them and I was quite impressed with their level of service and knowledge of the unit.

P.S. They also informed me that 200-500 hours of break in would be needed for the player to really shine.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the info. I've dealt with Music Direct before. Stellar company. Also impressed with Audio Advisor.

Am going to stay with my current plan and dealer.

Please provide any input you may have once the unit is burned in.

Gordon

A very quick encounter

Hi Tim,

Received the unit on Thursday. Can't comment on sound because it really needs some break in time.

Anyway, am returning the unit. For whatever reason, the remote does not have a "program" button, which is something I use quite a bit.

Gordon

Update: Just purchased a Cary Audio 306 SACD CDP.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back