Encore TF v.s. Frsco i

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_Klim

Reaction score
I have Request in my living room where my TV is but only use them for music. I don't want to play video sources through the speakers, mostly due to the fact that the room is so small and that the speakers are so far away from the tv (not really, but relative to the size of the room they are, and so it seems my speakers are too close to me, making it sound like the sound is not coming from the tv). So I was thinking of one day to get speakers just for the tv. I see that the Encore's are on sale for $500 each to $200.

In another room I have my 5.1 system with Sequel 2, Stage, a sub and Fresco i.

The Frescos are pretty weak in the bass department and the Encores, I believe, have the same size woofers - 4". I wouldn't be using them a sub in the living room. Would I be happy with them? How do they compare to the Frescos? Should i just get them and buy a sub, or is there something better at that price where i wouldn't need a sub (like the new MLs - I've been away for a while so I don't know what's out there now) ?

Last edited:
Hola Peter... these speakers are designed to have a sub, you are right when you say they are bass shy. You are correct! You should use the internal crossover of your receiver for a THX set up. The frequency cut is 80Hz. Use this frequency also in your sub. I do like Frescos better. Happy listening,
Roberto.

There is no reason not to use the ReQuest's for HT and music. Just be sure to get the set up correct.

Hola Peter... these speakers are designed to have a sub, you are right when you say they are bass shy. You are correct! You should use the internal crossover of your receiver for a THX set up. The frequency cut is 80Hz. Use this frequency also in your sub. I do like Frescos better. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Hola Roberto! Gracias por la informacion!

There is no reason not to use the ReQuest's for HT and music. Just be sure to get the set up correct.

Hi Robert,

Setting it up is the problem. The TV is on the wall, my couch is up on the opposite wall (about 2 feet away, in order to make way for the heater). The speakers are out about 3.5 feet from the wall with the tv. From couch wall to tv wall the distance is only about 16/17 feet. I want the Request to be set optimally for 2ch. I use the other room with the Sequels for 5.1.

Back