ElectroMotion ESL a worthwhile upgrade???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam_w1981

Reaction score
Heres my question I have Sources right now and had been kicking around the idea of picking up some Vistas to replace the Sources. The main reason was for better bass and the better panel. But now that the ESLs are available are getting good reviews, and have the better panel I'm thinking I'd get them to save some money. So heres the question, are these really any better than the Sources that they are worth spending the money to upgrade? Has anyone heard both in the same system for a true A/B test? What are you thought? Thanks in advance.

I have both Source and ElectroMotion ESL's. I have not A/B'd them directly. They both have a slight different sound to them. About all I can say is it's kinda like Coke or Pepsi? One thing though is the EM ESL's have better bass and integrate with my sub better, they also seem to do rock and metal slightly better.

the EM ESL's have better bass and integrate with my sub better

Hum, thats one of the reasons Im looking to upgrade from the Sources, they have decent bass but I'd like a little bit more but cant seem to get them to sound good with my subs turned on. Let me ask you this, I would call the sound the Sources make a little on the warm side, compared to them how would you say the EM ESLs sound? Brighter or warmer? You said they have better bass and integrate better with your sub, but how do they sound without the sub on compared to the Source? i.e. does the built in woofer integrate better or worse with the panel on the ESLs?

FWIW I can only really compare my memories of the brand new out of the box impressions I had of the Source and EM ESL's. To me and in my room I felt the Source were bright, when I'd put on a metal album it was like the guitars were chainsaws trying to saw off my ears. The EM ESL's weren't like that, they are warmer I suppose but after the break in I remember the Source with the same material much better. Also when I first got my Source I didn't have my subs finished yet as when I got my EM ESL's I had them up and around for a month or so (which is about the same time I replayed the metal album I found harsh and it was less so). I haven't ran my EM ESL's with out the sub very often but I do remember being quite impressed with the bass. I think it's the same woofer as the ones on the Source models but the difference in volume in the cabinets and the difference on rear vs down firing ports could be all the difference in the world depending on the room and placement. I do feel like the Panel integrates better on the EM ESL's and the EM ESL's to be like Source 1.5 but that's bordering on "snake oil" like talk since I never directly compared them as my room is too small for such a test.

Try playing around with your placement in your room and try some acoustical treatments or something. That's much cheaper than dropping the $$$ on a whole new set up speakers. From your pic in the Member Systems sub forum to me it looks like your Source speakers are too close to the wall. The setup up looks aesthetically pleasing but may not be sonically pleasing. It's hard to tell if they're setup symmetrically in your room or what have you. Your subs could need re-arranging. However I know if you got a S/O that isn't into the audio as much as you re-arranging might not be an option. That being said though if you can afford the Vista's and you want to upgrade it maybe worth it since the Vista's have a bigger panel (same panel gen as EM ESL) and the woofer is aluminum (EM ESL is paper. Personally I prefer metal cone over paper cone) and you might find a deal since they're discontinued.

Last edited:
I heard the Source, liked the sound, waited to hear the EM ESL's when they came out and liked their sound better (after they were broken in). The BB I was at also had the Vantages in the next room and wow, there was no comparison. Base, mids, and highs were fantastic and to my ears; way better than either the Source/EM ESLs. I managed to pick up a used pair of Vantages for the price of the EM ESL's and love them. Aren't there any places you can go to audition some of the other MLs?

from your pic in the Member Systems sub forum to me it looks like your Source speakers are too close to the wall.

They are a little over 2 feet from the back wall which is all the farther I can pull them out.

jprkeller, there is only one BB wtih the magnolia home center in it that is about 1 hour or so away and they only carry the EM ESL. But it hard to compare them to what I have now since the systems and room are way different than my system and room so not a very good comparison. I found Vistas for sale for $2200 new, I may just jump on them.

FWIW, I was checking these out at a Magnolia today and it was mentioned to me that they could get Vantages for $2400......

Per pair. It came up because I had mentioned that I thought that used Vantages could be found for equal or lessor money vs new Electromotions and I thought that it was a better speaker.

$2400 new sounds like a sweet deal...Vistas are also very nice...not sure if the search function is fixed yet or not but there are great threads on both...once they are broken in you will forget all about the EM ESL...after hearing the Vantages, I was afraid to listen higher on the "food chain" as I am sure the ML sound just get better and better (but out of my current price range)...

Last edited:
Back