Dumb Question about STAGE requiring AC power

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thai

Reaction score
hey all,

I read that the STAGE center channel requires AC power for charging its ESL panel. Just the other day while reconnecting my equipment, i accidentally disconnected the AC power from the STAGE while my son was watching Toy Story 3. (The STAGE was still connected to my Sunfire amp.) Anyway, the STAGE kept going...as if nothing has been disconnected. I would imaging that the panel would go dead. Now, granted i did not leave it unconnected for too long...would that have made a difference??

Again, sorry for the dumb-dumb question. :bowdown:

Not a problem. The reason you still heard sound is that the panels electrostatic charge still has energy stored in the diaphragm and the energizing circuits for a few seconds (~20 secs or more), which allows the panel to continue playing.

The stage, being a three-way hybrid, will still play even after minutes or hours of having the AC disconnected, as the woofers and the tweeter will play. It will sound horrible, as the panel is not emitting any sound.

It's common for people to stop a movie a few minutes in going 'what's wrong?' only to discover the kid or cleaning lady unplugged the center channel power :p

Not a problem. The reason you still heard sound is that the panels electrostatic charge still has energy stored in the diaphragm and the energizing circuits for a few seconds (~20 secs or more), which allows the panel to continue playing.

The stage, being a three-way hybrid, will still play even after minutes or hours of having the AC disconnected, as the woofers and the tweeter will play. It will sound horrible, as the panel is not emitting any sound.

It's common for people to stop a movie a few minutes in going 'what's wrong?' only to discover the kid or cleaning lady unplugged the center channel power :p

Ahhh...thanks!

Back