Dull Sounding Sequel Panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frog76

Reaction score
Hi,

My 20 year old Sequels are (finally) starting to sound dull. They have been vacuumed, (didnt help), but not showered.

I have tested the rest of the system with other (capable) speakers, and all is OK. The panels are making sound, pretty much across all of the panel, but at a lot lower volume than the woofer. They are also both experiencing a similar level of deterioration.

I have owned them since new, so I know their history. Only thing that has ever happened to them is that the panels were replaced after 3 years with Sequel 2 panels (which I guess are only 17 years old :eek: ). Other than that, they have performed flawlessly.

After searching the forum, it seems that that my only real option is new panels.
Given the age of the speakers (ie electronics, and woofers) is it worth it?

Does anyone have any experience in the success of replacing panels on an old model like this one ? Also, the possible cost of replacement panels ?

Thanks
Craig

I would try washing them before condmening them. There is a guide somewhere on another thread. Only use soft water if you live in a hard water area.
Of course parts of the crossover could have also started deteriorating, but those can also be swapped with newer ones I guess.

Given the age of the speakers (ie electronics, and woofers) is it worth it?

Does anyone have any experience in the success of replacing panels on an old model like this one ? Also, the possible cost of replacement panels ?

Thanks
Craig

Craig, a total refresh of a Sequel will likley set you back around $800.

$550 for a pair of panels and about $129/each for the woofers.

I would strongly recommend doing both panel + woofer at the same time.

If the electronics need some work, it would another $100 - $200 in parts, new Caps mostly. As 20yr/old caps are probably due for replacement anyway.

So for around $1K, you get totally new speakers, and I mean performing as good as, or better than current models.

So unless you just want to upgrade, I recommend a nice refresh.

WOW the same panels (just the panels) cost over US$1600 in Australia :( which makes the revamp a bit less appealing. And that is without the cost of the woofers.

Might see what other options exist.

Last edited:
Same as the UK, almost triple the US price:mad:

Just take the time to wash them, change the expired capacitors and see how it goes.:music:

Same as the UK, almost triple the US price:mad:
:

I knew the Euro price was much more than the US price but it appears as it's much higher even after taking the exchange rate and shipping into consideration.

Oh yeah, don't get me started:sad::banghead:

For the UK at least, they change the dollar sign and substitute it with a pound sign.
Then they add 50% (at least) to cover all sorts of nonexistent (or grossly misrepresented) taxes and duties, bit more for 'shipping' and you end up with triple the price.
It's the same for several other goods, hence the term 'Ripoff Britain':mad:

Back