Does one need all 5 channels to enjoy TV and movies?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Matz

Reaction score
I have a pair of Vantages that I am trying to sell. However, I was thinking of moving them into my bedroom and hooking them up to my TV instead of using the dinky tv speakers. Is it overkill if I don't go to a 5 channel system?

How much more is there sound-wise in a 5 channel vs. 2 channel system?

Thanks

I have a pair of Vantages that I am trying to sell. However, I was thinking of moving them into my bedroom and hooking them up to my TV instead of using the dinky tv speakers. Is it overkill if I don't go to a 5 channel system?

Are you using them for everyday TV watching, like weekly television shows and an occasional movie that are broadcast over the air waves or cable? IMHO definitely overkill. In such a situation they will likely carry mostly voice and incidental background tracks. You can probably pick up speakers more suitable for enhancing your TV experience. Those Vantages ROCK! They should be used to better advantage.

There is a serious difference between a 2.0 and a 5.1 movie experience.

For watching DVD's/Blu-Ray's/SACD (music or movies) using Dolby Surround 5.1 or even better DTS 5.1 or DTS HD I would definitely recommend a surround (5.1) setup-up above 2 channels. The difference is huge!!!

For normal TV it doesn't add to much (Dolby Surround)...

A consideration could be what type of speakers to use for the rear channel. Especially since the MLs are so sweep spot sensitive. I could imagine conventional speakers are bit more suitable to use as rear channels...

Last edited:
Heck NO!

But I'm not really the one to ask.....I hardly watch TV and watch a movie about once every year (if that).

But on the odd occasion that I have run the TV or the DVD player through my MLs, the sound has been awesome. Really great. I can't imagine needing 5 channels.

From my point of view, even if it did provide a benefit, there's the hassle an ugliness of having five speakers scattered around clogging up your room, cables running everywhere. For what - so a train can come from behind? What's the point when the screen (and the action) is coming from in FRONT of you? I really can't see all the fuss.

What's more, when you consider how much better your 2-channel system could be if you didn't have all that extra amplification, processors, cables and speakers, it'll make you cry.

long before i got my scripts and logos and more scripts and the depth (and the second depth) i had the TV patched through the CLS and it was incredible. you would be surprised how much ambient (that is "surround") you will get from those two speakers.

i remember watching the pool interegation scene in "conspiracy theory" and hearing dripping water beside me.

sure, it's not 5.1 or even prologic, but those two speakers will produce a quality sound and matrix that is a lot better than not having them there.

Back