Do I really need a subwoofer?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HT4ME

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am about to purchase my new Martin Logan home theater system. For my floor standing speakers, I have selected the Ethos speakers. Do I need a subwoofer considering the fact that these speakers generate bass down to 34Hz?

Thanks from a newbie!

HT4ME

Hola ht4me. If you are going to make a HT system, a sub you need. The recording of the DVDs, have a special sub-track with the bass info. If you do not use the sub, you will not have the blast of the special effects. A reason why it is 5.1, 7.1 etc- The .1 is the bass info for the sub. Happy listening.

Hola me' amigo! Como esta usted?

Thanks so much for the feedback. Based on your comments, my components are as follows:
FR & FL: ML Ethos
Center: ML Motif X
Surrounds: ML Vanquish
Subs: ML Depth i
Receiver: Integra DTR - 80.3
Blu Ray: Oppo BDP - 103
IR System: TBD

Thanks!

HT4ME

Very nice system. You have to adjust the speakers as follows: Ethos - large Motif X - small Vanquish - large Sub on Frequency cut for the sub 80Hz, Frequency cut for the MotifX 80Hz. The other speakers does not need to cut, just leave them as large. Your Vanquish supports very low frequency information as the Ethos. Happy listening!

I'll disagree with my friend Roberto, and recommend that the mains be crossed over at 60 or even 40 Hz and the rears at no less than 60Hz.

The reason is that by running full range, the bass drivers in the mains are trying to push low frequencies that can color the mid bass. I usually find (based on measurements) that removing that load yields a cleaner upper bass and mid-bass.

As a data point I crossover all my speakers at 80 Hz, and they all have extended range below that, but play cleaner this way.

Since your receiver has Audyssey, please read and follow the guide for performing room correction measurements here at the site.

Yes Jonathan, but remember that you can adjust the low frequency level at the Ethos. This is a very precise adjustment. And right with the cut at the rears. Happy listening!

Back