digital interface

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

repman

Reaction score
Hey guys I am finally getting around to using my computer as a digital source for music my question is what are you guys using for an interface between your computer and preamp?

I have been looking at the Logitech Squeezebox as a possibility any other suggestions?

Thanks, Larry

I use a Squeezebox and it comes with full recommendation!

If you you're half-way computer literate, get a Squeezebox.

If you want something a bit easier, then the Sonos or Apple Airport Express may be a better choice, the Airport Express only if you've got an iPhone or iTouch with which to control it.

An AppleTV with an iPhone or iPod touch to use as a remote is the best option, imo. High quality audio via HDMI, and great navigation. Plus, it also does video if you have any sort of HT setup.

I'll give another vote for the Squeezebox. You can use your PC as the server via the free SqueezeNetwork software, or almost any of the NAS boxes on the market (I use a ReadyNAS NV+). Storing your music files in lossless FLAC and running the digital output from the Squeezebox through a separate DAC will give your excellent sound.

Either the SqueezeBox or the AppleTV would do the job.

As long as you are feeding a digital stream to your DAC or processor, the differences in sound quality will be minor.

The SB allows for more 'tweaking' with server plugins, and with a nice choice of players.

Conceptually, the SB Duet is my favorite, with the display of info on the remote itself.

And kcl is spot-on in recommending FLAC as the format to use for the music.

Last edited:
The major advantage of the Squeezebox is their (increasing) variety of models, all compatible with their single software interface. I currently have FOUR Squeezeboxes in various rooms, including a Squeezebox Boom in my office. My daughter can be listening to her teenybopper playlist in our Game Room, while I am listening to Patricia Barber on my primary rig. Alternatively, I can sync all four players to play together for whole-house audio. The forthcoming Squeezebox Touch will handle 24/96 streams, and there's rumor that a battery-powered version of the Boom is also on the horizon.

Guys thanks for all the input I am going to order a squeezebox today.

Thanks to all who answered and gave their recomendations.

have a great 4th

I've got the Sonos. I prefered it when I bought it because the controller has all the functionality built in plus it displays everything without the need for a tv and I can take it anywhere in the house (or outside) to controll everything since it's wi-fi instead of IR. Sound quality is very, very good through my Dodson Audio DAC - redbook may actually be a slight bit better than my Esoteric! The internal DAC was OK, but nowhere near as good as my external one.

The newest SB that I think Sleepysurf had posted pictures of looks pretty cool - they seem to have modeled it after the Sonos controller. One thing that I think the SB's will offer downstream is easier playback of higer resolution (24/196 and up) audio.

I still prefer my Esoteric for SACD playback, and when I really want to do the audiophile, critical listening for the deep immersion into the music thing I prefer my vinyl rig, but the Sonos sounds much better than I'd expected and the convenience is amazing. I'm listening to it now as a matter of fact. Eventually you'll want to get a NAS so that you don't have to have your computer on all the time

I use a Mac Mini (4GB RAM / SSD) > Wavelength Cosecant V3 controlled via itouch (remote app) using itunes and Amarra

How is the sound quality out of the analog RCA outputs on the duet as I will probably hook it up to my 2 channel analog system.

How is the sound quality out of the analog RCA outputs on the duet as I will probably hook it up to my 2 channel analog system.

I haven't tried the Duet, but I do have a SB3 which I think is much the same. The analogue outputs are very good! Not excellent, but up there with higher-than-entry-level CD players - CD players up to the $AUD1,000 mark. To put this into perspective, the SB3 retails for $AUD599 here (although can be had for less than half that if you shop smartly - not sure of the situation over there).

But to really make it a top end source - feed it through a DAC. It is as good a transport as anything out there.

+1 for squeezebox.. and the iPeng app for my iPhone/iPod Touch is a great way to control it.
Hey, Tom. You've mentioned the iPeng before, but I had forgotten about it. So I got one for my iTouch a few hours ago, and I have to agree with you that's its a really nice app. I had also forgotten that the iTouch had WiFi access (silly me, I was just listening to music and watching a little video on it :D ), so I'm now on my secure network with my iTouch. I've been in the computer industry for almost 40 years now, and I'm still constantly amazed at what I can to with little tools, toys, the internet and my home network. Go figure.

Last edited:
I use two SB3s with one in my main 2 channel system feeding the Wadia 781i digital input. In addition to the SB3, Duet or other remote options you can also use the SlimServer software in your PC, Macbook or laptop as your remote control. This is very convenient when using your computer while listening to your ripped music, itunes, internet radio, Pandora or other music sources through the SB3. It's also easy to control volume from the computer if desired.

With the Wadia as my DAC the sound of CDs ripped to FLAC is as good (sometimes better) as Redbook CDs played direct. Both are through the Wadia. However, SACD is still king with this system. This is saying a lot for an audio component (SB3) that cost only $300.

I'm eager for Logitech to release the new 24/96 capable boxes soon. Will a new 24/96 Squeezbox then equal or surpass SACD sound quality played through the Wadia? I'm waiting for Logitech to make them available so I can find out.

However, Wadia now has a USB Upgrade available for the 381, 581 and 781 models. Perhaps, I can go direct from laptop to my Wadia with a higher rez option. If so, then I'll be sending in my CD player for a USB digital input upgrade ASAP. Can you use SlimServer to output 24/96 from a computer? If not, then what software and Operating System would I need for that? I'm currently using a MAC.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the new info I appreciate it, I look forward to incorporating some of these ideas into my system

Can you use SlimServer to output 24/96 from a computer? If not, then what software and Operating System would I need for that? I'm currently using a MAC.

Yes - the Transporter decodes it. The SB3 does not. Who knows about this vapourware touch thingy.........

I use a Mac Mini (4GB RAM / SSD) > Wavelength Cosecant V3 controlled via itouch (remote app) using itunes and Amarra

This is the similar to the setup I have been considering but with the Weiss DAC 2 via firewire with the Mini as a headless unit controlled via screenshare from one of our laptops.

Have you had any opportunity to try other setups/DACs - what has been your reaction to Amarra. I would be grateful for any thoughts.

Kevin

I wonder if SlimServer is planning to take advantage of USB connectivity? Of course, non of their gear currently has USB. This seems to be a rapidly growing standard due to the popular PC audio market and many new DACs are adopting USB as an input.

Mac - Apple Lossless via AirTunes or USB into a PS Audio DAC - actually prefer this to the Oppo BD83 into the DAC - better temp and dynamics with redbook CD (go figure)
Looking forward to Mac HiRez 24/96 FLAC solution someday..

Latest posts

Back