Denon AVR-3808CI or Emotiva DMC-1

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsmooth

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, it doesn't have to be either of those two components, but what would you guys recommend for best all around sound as a pre/pro in your HT/2 channel room? I already have a sunfire cinema grand as my amplifier and I am trying to decide what would be the best in between my Denon 2930CI and amp. I like movies but I am chasing the best 2 channel sound that I can find at this price point (don't really care about the best video as well). Anybody with recommendations please shoot them this way.:eek:

Meridian, Theta, Lexicon, Cary, Parasound, Arcam to name a few as there are other players out there. Each of these companies have their own type of sound (yes even with pass-through), so unfortunately you will need to listen and determine what you like. If money was not an issue, I would probably look at either the Theat or Meridian units first (hearing both I have liked the Theta's better but unfortunately I have never heard them side by side - the Theta's have always just grabbed me). If money is an issue and you want to see how all the surround processing plays out for HD Movies decoding, HDMI, etc. then Arcam and Parasound are good choices for the time being.

To save money for the time being, I purchased the Arcam processor as the pass-through sound was the best bang for the buck. But I also have a 2 CH dedicated Pre that I use for main music and use it's HT passthrough for HT Movies and MCH Music.

Others may disagree with me here, but my opinion is stay away from the receivers and go with just a processor with external amplification of your choice.

Wanna buy my 3808CI too? (just kidding!)

I can't comment on the Emotiva, nor the other brands cited, but just got the 3808CI (replacing an old Yamaha RX-V1000), and am quite impressed. I didn't intend to use it for pure two channel listening, but it's surprisingly capable, rivaling (some even say surpassing) my Modwright (tube) preamp. I bought the Denon specifically because it has the Audyssey MultEQ XT.

IMHO, the Audyssey did a great job taming my problematic room bass nodes, and balancing overall sound, particularly for home theater. I am feeding the front pre outs to my Belles amp to drive my Summits, but the Denon is driving my center and rear surrounds without difficulty. I think it would work exceedingly well with the Sunfire. You can always add a two-channel pre-amp with Home Theater bypass at a later time.

The 3808CI has WIRED ethernet connectivity to d/l firmware updates (a BIG plus), as well as accessing Internet Radio (but I prefer to use my Squeezebox for that). Stepping up to the 4308CI adds WIRELESS ethernet and built-in HD radio, but, IMHO, not worth the extra $$. I think the 3808 hits the "sweet spot" with price and features. My only complaint is the user-UNfriendly PRIMARY remote, but the SECONDARY remote works fine for everyday use. I've had no problems with HDMI handshaking with my Sony XBR4, or Oppo 980H, but other folks have had some issues (most seem to be user related).

There's a HUGE thread discussing it's virtues (and user issues) here...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=860539

There is also a long Audyssey thread on avsforum.com, discussing the nuances of that feature.

BTW, 6Ave.com was offering a great deal on the 3808 a couple months ago, but I don't know if they still are (see msg... http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showpost.php?p=60697&postcount=10)

The 3808CI, judged as a pre-pro on sound quality only, would have to be miles better than the Yamaha RX-V1600. The Emotiva DMC-1 is. That is as much as I can offer by way of comparison between the Denon and the Emo. The DMC-1 is basically a Theater Grand IV. But I believe that they are sold out and I have no idea when the DMC-2 successor will be released.

I did not try the DMC-1 in 2-channel mode and it is unlikely that I will. The RSP-1 is Emotiva's "reference" 2-channel pre-amp and I like my other pre-amp better.

As far as I am concerned a dedicated pre-amp with HT bypass is needed for best 2-channel results.

I have been working part time for a Milwaukee dealer for quite some time so I can get a HUGE deal on Denon stuff, that is why I am tempted to go that route. On the other hand, I really want the best 2 channel setup I can looking to the future...

My funds are going to top out at the $1,500 range, and I like the options that the Anthem AVM30 has. My projector's best inputs are component, so I am not worried to much about HDMI (I have a good TV in the living room). Any other good used processor recommendations in that price range w/o HDMI? That might allow me to get a higher quality used product.

I am using a Denon 4308ci as my pre and I am loving it.

Audyssey really does a wonderful job!

Later

As far as I am concerned a dedicated pre-amp with HT bypass is needed for best 2-channel results.
Totally agree with this statement.

One then must decide if a receiver will "suffice" as their processor or use one of the ones I listed above. In my tests I preferred the dedicated non-amplified processors over the receivers with my choice of amplification.

Totally agree with this statement.

One then must decide if a receiver will "suffice" as their processor or use one of the ones I listed above. In my tests I preferred the dedicated non-amplified processors over the receivers with my choice of amplification.

Arcam AVP700 or better?

Ok, I talked to the dealer that I work for and I can get a Lexicon MV-5 processor at cost. What do you think about this choice, I belive I might have found what I am looking for.

Only HDMI 1.1, doesn't handle 1080p, and has minimal EQ capability. Despite being offered a "great deal" I think you could do better.

Arcam AVP700 or better?
I bought the AVP700 for now. Great price used 1/2 off (owner traded up to AV9) from a dealer.

My main purchasing agenda was improvement in MCH SACD audio playback, as I am not a video nut (dont care about HDMI 1.whatever to carry everything, my TV only does 1080i, etc.), and the processor also had to support what I currently had hooked up to my Yammy. Not only did I get better audio playback with the Arcam, but the video looked better and the surround processing was improved too - all confirmed by my audio side-kick who did not know which unit was running.

I was also looking at Meridian and Theta but they were out of my price range. I had a chance to listen to a BUNCH of processors and receivers and I liked the audio sound best from the Arcam. Unfortunately I did not ever get a chance to hear the Cary Cinema 11 to compare.

One of the most surprising things I found out when shopping was that Pass-through Audio sound different from each of these processors.

Note, I already had external amplification for all my speakers, so buying a processor only was possible. IMO for HT, external amplification is the way to go.

I agree.

External amplification will not become obsolete anywhere near as quickly as a processor. Good amps are probably good for 10 years or more unless the inner gadgeteer demands new toys. Processors, OTOH, evolve at a far more rapid pace. They have to because the HT standards keep changing.

Then again, those evolving audio standards are all related to movie sound instead of multi-channel music. Isn't that a waste? When watching a movie the sense of hearing is weakened anyway and most of the sound is speech or effects, not music. Why bother?

By contrast, CD/SACD/DVD-A standards have been stable for years.

This is why I prefer a competently designed if somewhat outdated pre-pro which does audio well over the latest and (not!) greatest. Companies like Arcam who value music above all else had a long time to perfect their pre-pros for that application. The mainstream receiver manufacturers spend their R&E dollars chasing features, economics, and moving AV targets.

Thanks for all the postings. I will probably pull the trigger on the Arcam AVP700 when I am ready. The Sunfire Cinea Grand amp/Denon 2930CI received this week have completely changed my movie experience, so I can imagine what a good pro will do for me. I just need to find some buyers of my old stuff before I make any more moves.

Latest posts

Back