Crumpled/wavy stat panel help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimensions87

Reaction score
Hi All,

I own a pair of sequel IIs. I moved recently and they were somewhat damaged in the process.

The transparent stat panel of my left speaker is crumpled/ wavy which is supposed to be a smooth curvature.

Issue is, when the speakers are charged (powered up) a faint buzzing noise is heard. Although when music is played it masks the "noise", I would like to sort the issue out.

Can any fellow owners advice how do i resolve the issue? Appreciate the help.

Time to replace the panels, I doubt very much that you can bend them back.

Be sure to check the frame structure as well on the affected speaker.

I had this issue in a brand new pair of Vistas - I'm getting new panels, but that's not going to cost me anything.

If yours aren't under warranty then there are posts here about some sort of hairdryer trick - I wouldn't try it unless you've resigned yourself that you're getting new panels!

there are posts here about some sort of hairdryer trick - I wouldn't try it unless you've resigned yourself that you're getting new panels!

No hair dryer on planet will starighten out bent stator panels ! ........They are toast I'm afraid.

SL3 panels are not able to be retrofitted onto the Sequel II frame.

I inquired when I wanted to upgrade from my Sequel 2's and I was given the thumbs down.

If your Sequel 2's really are "toast", it still makes financial sense to replace the panels and then sell the repaired speakers on the used market. You should get a good price.

dose'nt sound good for me. looks like ive to try some new techniques to see if they can be made straight again.

Otherwise ill get some SL3 panels to replace these. Any one has any idea how much replacement SL3 panels would cost?

I inquired when I wanted to upgrade from my Sequel 2's and I was given the thumbs down.

If your Sequel 2's really are "toast", it still makes financial sense to replace the panels and then sell the repaired speakers on the used market. You should get a good price.

why did they give you the thumbs down? cant they fit?

With new panels whats this have to do with him selling? :rolleyes: He may even be able to get the Clear Spars on them too!

SL3 and Sequel II panels are interchangeable. In fact, ML doesn't even make the Sequel II panels anymore. If you order a new set, they will be the updated SL3 types with black spars. ClearSpars are not available for these panels.

[ Correction: ClearSpars are standard on the replacement panels -- sorry for the error ]

The cost is $549 + shipping (generally $20 for UPS ground) for the set. Recommended upgrades available from ML for the Sequel II are limited to these panels and an upgraded switching power supply at $99 per speaker. Woofers are also available, but they are exactly the same as the ones you have installed in the speakers. Replacing them is only advised if yours are blown up.

[ Correction: Since the ML tech bum-doped me on the panel spars, the statement about the new woofers is now also in doubt. Call and pump them for details if your interested. ]

~VDR

Last edited:
are the black spars supposed to sound any better than the older clear spars?

Clear is what they are making the newer ones out of! On some older models because of size and thickness they cant get the clear!

No hair dryer on planet will starighten out bent stator panels ! ........They are toast I'm afraid.

Oh, I misunderstood - so it is the actual metal that is bent, right - I thought you were purely talking about the mylar membrane between the 'stat panels?

If your metal plates are severely dented or worse, creased, in multiple places, you probably need to replace them. If you have some minor dents you can try to push them out with the palm of your hand from the rear. If the front panel does not push out, try to thread a piece of fishing line through some of the small holes and pull it out. You may get lucky. But since you are getting a buzzing sound, the membrane or metal panel may have been damaged beyond repair.
Torry V.

Oh, I misunderstood - so it is the actual metal that is bent, right - I thought you were purely talking about the mylar membrane between the 'stat panels?

No the metals are not bent. It is indeed the mylar membrane that is wavy.

Get over it ! They are toast ! Sit down have a drink and relax. Get the credit card out and spend the $600 on new panels and be done with it. The exciting fact is you will have a damn near set of speakers ! With a 5 year warranty !

Enjoy the drink !

Get over it ! They are toast ! Sit down have a drink and relax. Get the credit card out and spend the $600 on new panels and be done with it. The exciting fact is you will have a damn near set of speakers ! With a 5 year warranty !

Enjoy the drink !

I agree with CAP, drink and do merry.............huh?

Doug - out

any one has a dealer to recommend that will ship these to me? Im currently located outside the US. Or is getting them from the factory direct most economical?

Latest posts

Back