Copper Shielding around AC Connectors--A Cheap Tweak

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, at the risk of starting a small border war I'm going to make a couple of statements and ask a couple of questions.

First of all the whole power cord thing doesn't make sense to me unless one is running a power conditioner or maybe a UPS, and the cord provides shielding from the power conditioner into all the electronics in the system. Even then, what we are saying is the power supplies in our equipment are not up to the job they were intended to do i.e. turn A.C. current into D.C. current at the correct voltage and keep it there regardless of what happens with the load or the A.C. supply voltage over certain "normal" parameters. If we really believe this about the power supplies in our equipment why don't we complain the equipment suppliers?

Now, there is relatively simple way to to determine if the power cords and for that matter the power conditioners are doing anything. Someone could perform a simple test that involved hooking up an oscilloscope to the D.C. rails of the equipment in question without a power conditioner and with only a stock power cord and monitor the DC voltage over some time. Many oscilloscopes have min. max. hold as well as event storage functions so any variation from rock solid DC would be recorded. At the end of a reasonable amount of time if there was no variation from the specified DC level then there was no need for a power conditioner or an expensive cable, unless I am truly missing something, which is possible.

Please note that I am not addressing surge protection which many power conditioners include and is advisable, particularly for those of us who leave our equipment on all the time. From experience, it is amazing how much equipment eventually fails over time from repeated low level surges if left on 24/7.

I bet it has something to do with error correction. Maybe reading it twice reduces the amount needed.
I have seen this referenced before in discussions and cannot find it at this time. If I remember some thought it did, some thought it didn't. Sound familiar for audio?

Have you heard a good power conditioner and power cord in your system?

The short answer is no.

The question(s) are: How best to deploy (everything with a after market cord all plugged into the power conditioner)? If one piece is not plugged in with an after market cord does that blow what you are trying to do? How does this help the system from an electrical standpoint?

Please understand I come from an engineering background, not religious. I would like to hear a rational explanation of the theory of operation before plunking down several thousand $$$ for hardware. And yes, I have heard systems with aftermarket power cords and I can't say I heard anything I could attribute to the cord.

Now, there is relatively simple way to to determine if the power cords and for that matter the power conditioners are doing anything. Someone could perform a simple test that involved hooking up an oscilloscope to the D.C. rails of the equipment in question without a power conditioner and with only a stock power cord and monitor the DC voltage over some time.

This has been done...very recently and very extensively! Very excellent set of articles written and posted. I'd suggest spending a little time with these...they are worth it!! Grab a beverage and pull up a screen and set down for some interesting reading....

Studies On Residential Power Line Noise - Part 1
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71333

Studies On Residential Power Line Noise - Part 2
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?p=907371

Studies On Residential Power Line Noise - Part 3- PS Audio Power Plant Premier
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?p=909468

Studies On Residential Power Line Noise - Part 4- PS Audio Premier SC Power Cord
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?p=922660#

Studies On Residential Power Line Noise - Part 5: PS Audio Power Port Premier
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?p=956598#

Size Matters: PS Audio xStream Statement SC Power Cords, Juice Bar II, Power Ports
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70869

Studies On Residential Power Line Noise - Part 6: PS Audio Soloist Special Edition
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79010

OldMonolith

This has been done...very recently and very extensively! Very excellent set of articles written and posted. I'd suggest spending a little time with these...they are worth it!! Grab a beverage and pull up a screen and set down for some interesting reading....

WOW! I've just scanned through a couple of those links, and I think they're fascinating! A PS Audio PPP is on my list of things to get (or something else at least its calibre for not much more $$$), so I will definately take the time to read those posts and educate myself!

I also have looked through a couple of those. Thank you very much, that's what I think I'm looking for.:bowdown:

I've been following the papers at Club Polk for quite awhile. DarqueKnight (DK) gives an honest report on every piece he tests. I think his papers would suffice for most anti and on the fence cable buyers.

Gordon

Remember that at the transformer outside your house, at the secondary feeding you, is a very low impedance point with extremely low noise. The transformer is a large step down in voltage. As it steps down the voltage, also the disturbances on it are stepped down. As with any transformer, its wound to be most efficent at 60hz and is much less so to higher freq disturbances.

The point being that much less is actually coming into you from outside than from inside! If a neighbor or two is fed from the same transformer, the low impedance of the secondary largely, not totally, keeps you rather uneffected.

So why the noise...why the need for filtering? The noise present on the line is mostly all self induced locally. The big noise makers are of two varieties...the big current hogs like the air conditioner/heater, washer and dryer, kitchen appliances and then the growing problem child...the whacked waveform noise generators! By that, I mean the cruel SCR's light dimmer variety and the noisy power supply devices that are such a growing problem.

You see, the rectifier stage is a very noisy, hash generating device. And it's not our nature to think about the fact the power line isn't a one way device. We always think of the power going in...but the transformer there is not a one-way device!

Take the cheap wall wart power supply brick. It's a step down transformer of cheapiest possible sourcing. Followed by a rectifier stage and filtering. So the attached device is after the filter and advantaged by the physical distance and it's typical input stage additional filtering. But back on the AC side of that wall wart, the clipped nasty generated by the diodes turning on and off is right there at the secondary of the transformer. So if the transformer is a, lets say, a 120v to 12v winding, then the transient generated by the sudden switching of state is now not just coupled back onto the line....but actually stepped up by 10 times! Thank goodness the transformer is at least somewhat inefficient at higher frequencies! But keep in mind that as the cheapest of cheap transformer was dropped into that unit, that its not going to be well designed and likely no effort will have been made at lowering noise coupling. Shielding....???? Ha!!

So now, the noise stepped up is riding on the household AC wiring. Looking for some poor audiophiles equipment to mutilate!! Well, you're thinking that my uber expensive equipment has a marvelous power supply and it's going to render that AC power line into a perfect pool of quiet DC before it goes to the audio side of the unit. Right? Well, now realize that a power supply is quite good at removing low frequency ripple. Typically designed for 120hz (or 100hz) filtering, the problem is that the high frequency noise coming in is many magnitudes higher in frequency!

So when you hear the thing about "how can the last six feet make any difference when you've got miles upon miles of wire feeding you", thats a very basic lack of understanding of the situation. And we really haven't discussed the nature of signals when they get up into the RF region and how they can couple without the direct connection we think of with the AC line.

Hope everybody has and has had a great day!! Enjoy the music!! :rocker:

OldMonolith

Remember ...

The point being that much less is actually coming into you from outside than from inside!

Hope everybody has and has had a great day!! Enjoy the music!! :rocker:

OldMonolith

Very good post! One thing I wanted to mention is that whenever my neighbor from across the street turns on his electric lawn edger, my noise harvester light flashes like crazy. That proves to me that you also get noise on the line from outside sources.

Back