Companies that used to make high end gear

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aurex

Aurex by Toshiba. The equvalent of today's Lexus by Toyota.

Attachments

• c2cb_1.JPG.jpg
    c2cb_1.JPG.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 4,562
  • PLS04360-5.jpg
    PLS04360-5.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 4,699
Well we all knew Threshold needed to make an appearence :)

I have always thought the SA/1 monoblocks were the coolest looking amps they made.

6f92cro.jpg

I dreamed of those amps for a long time !:bowdown: It was them until I found Krell.:music: Nelson Pass still does work on them old amps for updates

California Audio Labs- A high end audio company from the get go, this company has given us some amazing looking and sounding products over the years. CAL is no longer in business, but was one of the leading high end audio makers.

2349883470045465090S600x600Q85.jpg

2029537030045465090S600x600Q85.jpg

2197788150045465090S600x600Q85.jpg

2539573480045465090S600x600Q85.jpg

2430186250045465090S600x600Q85.jpg

I remember California Audio Labs. They made some really expensive CD players back in the day.

Ah...JVC...my first CD player was a JVC; a Christmas present in the mid-90s. Wow, back then I had a Kenwood amp and Yamaha speakers!

Audio Alchemy - the manufacturer of the all time great DAC in the box!

Also, what about companies that used to be heavy hitters, but seem no longer at the cutting edge - Wadia rings a bell.

Attachments

• view1.jpg
    view1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 6,584
ME Sound - ME was an old Australian company and maker of some very good high-end amps. Shown is the ME850 power amp.

Attachments

• me 850.jpg
    me 850.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 4,450
  • front_850.jpg
    front_850.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 4,355
Last edited:
Ah...JVC...my first CD player was a JVC; a Christmas present in the mid-90s.

That's interesting. My second CD player (actually CD changer) was a JVC I got back in '94. It was a JVC XL-MC100, and what's really interesting is that I still have it to this day and still use it (in another room). They made some really great CD players back in the day.

JVC XL-MC100
2991320700045465090S600x600Q85.jpg

Audio Alchemy - the manufacturer of the all time great DAC in the box!

Also, what about companies that used to be heavy hitters, but seem no longer at the cutting edge - Wadia rings a bell.

I definitely remember Audio Alchemy. I hadn't realized that they were no longer in business. It's something how many of these high end audio companies have closed their doors. I remember listening to a CD player connected to one of their DAC units, it was an amazing listening experience. It's too bad that Audio Alchemy is no longer around, they had some excellent products.

I haven't followed Wadia in a while, but I remember in the 90's their CD players and transports were always at or near the top of most audiophiles wish list (including myself ;)). But you're right, that would be cool to find out which high end heavyweights that used to be at the cutting edge no loner are.

Seth

ME Sound - ME was an old Australian company and maker of some very good high-end amps. Shown is the ME850 power amp.

I had never heard of ME before, but after seeing the pix, they definitely fit into the high end category. The ME850 is one classy looking amp! I would have loved to have listened to one. Thanks for sharing.:)

Seth

Has anyone mentioned Hafler?
Nope, hasn't been mentioned yet. Thanks for adding them,:) Hafler is a brand I haven't seen in quite a while. I clearly remember their tagline, "Hafler, The affordable high end". They offered some quality separates.

Nope, hasn't been mentioned yet. Thanks for adding them,:) Hafler is a brand I haven't seen in quite a while. I clearly remember their tagline, "Hafler, The affordable high end". They offered some quality separates.

They made a fantastic tuner/preamp, but I couldn't find pics anywhere.

I definitely remember Audio Alchemy. I hadn't realized that they were no longer in business. It's something how many of these high end audio companies have closed their doors.

Seth

It is something, but remember:

1: Many of these companies have not closed their doors - just changed focus. eg. JVC, Toshiba, et al.

2: Many of the companies that have "closed their doors" actually live on in another form - eg Threshold lives on as Pass Labs, Sonic Frontiers lives on, etc.

Back